• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you lock up your skis?

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I lock mine 99% of the time (unless I'm just going a short distance away/can keep them in eyesight). I use a cable lock.
I'm not trying to dissuade hardened criminals who would likely be carrying tools to cut locks, but more dissuade crime of opportunity people and or people who do not recognize their own skis and take them by accident.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
We have older skis so we have not locked recently BUT people at PICO have had them stolen. They didn’t even leave a pair….just took them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
There has definitely been an uptick of social media posts with lost or stolen skis in the past couple of years in the Northeast. Hate to have to think about that sort of thing!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope, but we lock our Yooner (like a ski bike/luge) as they are all identical and the mountain hires them out. We lost my mother's poles last year as they looked too much like the standard rentals and were unfortunately taken by accident - luckily she wanted to go shorter anyway and they were very old.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Nope, but we lock our Yooner (like a ski bike/luge) as they are all identical and the mountain hires them out. We lost my mother's poles last year as they looked too much like the standard rentals and were unfortunately taken by accident - luckily she wanted to go shorter anyway and they were very old.
We wrap the cable around the poles, too, not that it would really stop anyone, since they're really just loosely included. But I’d cry if my poles disappeared - they were my dad's and I've used them every time I've skied since his death back in 2010.

MissySki

Angel Diva
We wrap the cable around the poles, too, not that it would really stop anyone, since they're really just loosely included. But I’d cry if my poles disappeared - they were my dad's and I've used them every time I've skied since his death back in 2010.
I wrap my poles in too.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Lock them 90% of the time- It's sometimes not easy to lock mid/upper mountain but also not as easy to steal from there. At the base we always lock, even if it is just to each others skis (creates an unwieldy mess to try to walk off with).
That's our MO sometimes, too.

Jilly

Staff member
Yeah, if all I'm doing is hitting the bathroom at the Grand Manitou, I use the basement door and just leave the skis in the snow outside. Along with about 15 more pairs doing the same thing!!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't used to, but it seems like I'm seeing people get their gear swiped left and right in Facebook groups. I've started locking my stuff at base lodges if I'm going in for more than just a bathroom pit stop. I don't always lock it to the ski stand though, sometimes DH locks his board to my skis. Figured that is enough of a deterrent - hard to walk off with a board and skis cabled together.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
”Back in the day” you had to have a sketchy human to fence stolen stuff. Now, you just go to eBay or FB marketplace and fence it yourself. (Not myself, not y’all, but you know what I mean, hopefully) I think it’s made it easier for sketchy people to sketch. To me, a cheap cable lock just makes sketchy’s life harder.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About 90% of the time, yes. I keep a Ski Key in my pocket & don't really notice the bulk. Mine are 2018 Volkl Yumis and no longer new & shiny so I was a bit more relaxed on this last visit to Whistler.

As an alternative: You could try splitting up your pairs of skis - like one of yours with one of your DH's and put each mismatched pair on different racks. This is cheap way to a) ensure no=one grabs your skis by accident, coz you'll have a 130 + 165cm ski together and b) won't get stolen because the would-be thief would have to scan over 100 other pairs of skis to find the corresponding mismatching pair.

Ski CT

Certified Ski Diva
You will NEVER be sorry you lock your skis. Had some poles stolen once (separated mine with husband's and they stole the mismatched ones), and even that was traumatic. Just this past week, found a young lady walking to the base lodge, crying her eyes out that someone had stolen her skis ( this is the second pair she had stolen!). Small retractable lock will fit easily in your pocket and it only takes a minute to lock up. https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/p.../current-key/280187.html?type=gear-and-travel

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, I don’t. It has been pretty safe at my home mountain for years. I am not the only one who leaves my Stockli or Kastle skis unattended.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If we're stopping at the top/mid mtn and it'd look funny for a person to ski down with another set, no. At the base of the mtn where they can easily be carted off, yes.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
an alternative: You could try splitting up your pairs of skis - like one of yours with one of your DH's and put each mismatched pair on different racks. This is cheap way to a) ensure no=one grabs your skis by accident, coz you'll have a 130 + 165cm ski together and b) won't get stolen because the would-be thief would have to scan over 100 other pairs of skis to find the corresponding mismatching pair.

My ski is 130 cm and hub's is 180 cm -- you can probably tell there's a big height difference between us! Lol.

Side note: how do you like your Yumis?

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If someone takes my skis, it is a good day 2 demo & to go shopping 4 new skis
It's too cold 2 mess with a lock mostly when I need 2 pee

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski is 130 cm and hub's is 180 cm -- you can probably tell there's a big height difference between us! Lol.

Side note: how do you like your Yumis?
I love them - I have the same ones that @tinymoose sold recently, the 147 length. I really should ski the 153 size because I'm not particularly lightweight at 120lbs & the extra length would probably help me be more stable in crud, but I like the agility on moguls. And I REALLY like how easy they are to carry around. (I know, this is a terrible reason to choose a ski!) They really helped my skiing about 5 years ago when I bought them...whatever isn't working about my skiing right now is something to do with a stiff left hip & weak right adductors & not the fault of the ski! They're a very good ski for progressing, I think.

kiki

Angel Diva
I always lock my skis. Even when it is inconvenient. Skis are expensive and that can wreck a season to have an unexpected bill like that.

I will say a pet peeve is the folks who aren’t locking who stack their skis against the very few locking areas making it hard to find a spot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna