• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you lock up your skis?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Has anyone experienced ski theft? Or is this one of those things that could happen but is exceptionally rare still?
Not directly. I have friends who have. Our home hill often has thefts, usually at times when we are not there (very crowded, lots of sloppy storage, etc). They have started a ski check at peak times for this reason. I carry a small cable lock in my ski pant pocket - it’s so small I have forgotten it’s there before.

A lock won’t stop a thief who wants MY skis, but it will 100% deter someone who is just looking for a quick crime of opportunity. I have poles without straps and I have a way to get those into the lock as a deterrent as well.

My husband and son don’t lock their skis, even though I have gotten them both locks. My daughter does.

To be fair, their BSLs are abnormally long and are unlikely to be “accidentally” adopted. Everyone likes skiing, so if anyone is stuck without their gear, that will be a them problem and not a me problem. (I keep repeating that to myself so that I don’t get anxious) :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I see lots of posts on social media of people getting their skis and snowboards taken. I don’t think it’s exceptionally rare personally.
What resorts were involved? What region?

As with many aspects of skiing, there are clear differences between regions and the type of ski resorts and ski areas (mountains with no resort lodging).

Does gear get stolen? Yes. But I don't think it's a widespread issue at most places. I'm comfortable leaving a boot bag all day in a free cubby and skis unlocked at a rack at any ski resort/area in the Rockies. The only time it was not recommended by locals to leave a boot bag outside a pay locker was at a resort in California during late season. In the southeast, when I've heard of gear being stolen, it's been a snowboard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna