• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you like Europe?

PollyErrington

Diva in Training
I'm from England so I have always skied in France or Spain.

I've noticed that most mosts here seem to relate to American and Canadian resorts.

Who has been skiing and Europe, and which resort you you rate best?

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most of the members of this site are American, I don't think many of them would have skied in Europe, and I wouldn't blame them having so much wonderful skiing in their own country.

I have skied a lot in America and Canada, this year I did my first trip to Europe, to Chamonix Valley, Les Contamines, St Gervais/Megeve and Courmayeur. It was magical, a totally different experience to skiing in the states.

We are heading back to Colorado, but are planning another European trip in 2009, to Italy or maybe Val D'Isere for the World Cup.

We will probably alternate each year between Europe and the US.

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, being a european myself, I have only skied in Europe. Really want to go oversea to check things out over there.

I've been to several resorts in Norway, some really good, and some small ones with only one lift...

I've also skied a lot in Zillertal in Austria. Would really recommend this valley to everyone interested in skiing in the Alps. You can even ski there during the summer... And the afterski is really good.

Spent a week last year in Cervinia, Italy and Zermatt, Switzerland. Big resorts (they are connected, so remember to bring your passport with you when you ski), but was unlucky with the snow conditions. No chance to go offpiste at all... And the afterski was really lacking compared to Austria. But the food was better...

But if I should rate I'd say Zillertal in Austria as the overall best place I've been. But Norway has several good ones as well. But I find it harder to rate the "local" resorts...

abc

Banned
I'm from England so I have always skied in France or Spain.

I've noticed that most mosts here seem to relate to American and Canadian resorts.

Who has been skiing and Europe, and which resort you you rate best?

If you want European resort information, snowhead.com has a lot more UK skiers who primarily ski Europe.

But if you want to hang out with ski Divas, you have to come here! :D

BTW, I've been to Austria & Switzerland and particularly like Switzerland. Being American, I'm not a big fan of mega resorts. So the purpose-build resorts of France simply doesn't appeal to me. More fond of the "chocolate box" look of traditional alpine resorts in Austria/Switzerland.

altagirl

Staff member
I've been to a bunch of resorts in Europe, but the expense keeps me from traveling back since I lived in Germany. :( My favorite was probably St.Anton. (well, and Lech and Zurs and all the interconnecting stuff too...)

Jilly

Staff member
Well as a Canuck that speaks French (Parisien, not Quebecois) I loved the time we spent in France. Escape Killy and Trois Vallee. Haven't been over since 1988. But the Canadian dollar is so high compared to anyone else's currancy I might take a look again. It is so different that anything we have here in North America. You get up in the morning and plan a trip to another village. Pack a lunch, a extra sweater and gloves and away you go. Loved it.

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I liked Europe better when the dollar was stronger!

I've only made two ski trips to Europe. Courmayeur, Cervinia, La Thuile, La Rosière, Pila in the Aosta valley in Italy and in the Bad Gastein region of Austria.

Most Americans, who are accustomed to queuing up in orderly liftlines, are surprised at Euro ski etiquette. :smile:

dartmoorskier

Certified Ski Diva
My favourite resort would be Lech. On it's own it's not a huge area but you can ski to Zurs and (almost) to St.Anton. I've skied the 3V and the Portes du Soleil. They're incredible. In the PDS you can start the day in France and ski to Switzerland. Saalbach is very charming and a real party place. Live bands will play in the town square and evryone dances!

I've skied once in the US - at Winter Park. It was better groomed than the European resorts I've been too, and very quiet. The snow was first rate as well. I missed the apres-ski, the gluhwein etc. In Europe, you can keep skiing from mountain to mountain. In WP, I didn't get the same sense of travel. However, I'm hoping to visit the other Colorado resorts in the near future. Plus you guys are always friendly! My sister and her family live in Boston at the moment so I'll head that way in the new year!

abc

Banned
Europe: big mountains, big (linked) resorts, dramatic scenary, lovely alpine villages, big crowds
US/Canada: small mountains, ok scenery, pakring lot at the base, GREAT snow, NO CROWD!

Apart from Vail and Whistler, you won't get even close to the sense of "travel" you get in Europe. That's just not the US way. For examply, in Salt Lake City, you can see the other resorts but you can't ski to it. Example 2: the inter-resort link between Stowe and Smuggler's Notch has been closed some years back due, to LOW USE!!! (I'm still mad as hell when my companions refuse to go over, back when it was still open!)

dartmoorskier

Certified Ski Diva
Why are the slopes so quiet in America? Are there fewer people that ski, or is it that you don't get much holiday? In our business, our staff get 30 days holiday a year.

abc

Banned
Why are the slopes so quiet in America? Are there fewer people that ski, or is it that you don't get much holiday? In our business, our staff get 30 days holiday a year.
30 days/year!:eek: In our dreams, maybe.

A "good" company may give you 20 days/year (4wks), AFTER several years of service! 30 days (6 weeks!!!) are for upper management. Or those who work for themselves, and only if they're secure enough in their business so they DARE to take ANY days off!

But really, there're simply MUCH lower populatino density in North America. Have you driven on the highway of Navada? Do that, you'll then understand.

Come on over, we could use the company :smile:

SnowFalcon

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, it has always annoyed me about the US that we typically only get two weeks of vacation a year whereas in a lot of other countries people get six. In general, we seem to live to work a little too much rather than work to live.

On a different note. This thread has me intrigued about skiing in Europe! I am going to have to try some of the resorts there next time I am able to go traveling and I make my way there!

Marwe

Diva in Training
I gonna spend the season in Chamonix this winter. It´s gonna be lovely. Skiing Val de Blanche :thumbsup: is a amazing experience, whit a lift to the top of Aiguille de midi(3800m) and a 20 Km ride down the glacier Meer the glace. The piste is not the best one in Chamonix, but the offpist is the better.
Sweden have pretty good pist. but pretty cold climate if you compare whit the Alps...

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it has always annoyed me about the US that we typically only get two weeks of vacation a year whereas in a lot of other countries people get six. In general, we seem to live to work a little too much rather than work to live.

On a different note. This thread has me intrigued about skiing in Europe! I am going to have to try some of the resorts there next time I am able to go traveling and I make my way there!
That's one of the benefits of working for a UK based company. After just 1 year of service I get 18 days (the first year I got 13) and I use the vast majority of them to ski.

I've not skied Europe but would love to some day when the funds are there.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I worked in Europe (Germany) at one point for a U.S. Company. I was earning 6 weeks of vacation and at the same time earning sabbatical under the U.S. program. I travelled all over Europe while in that job. Unfortunately, I hadn't taken up skiing at that point......when I think of all of the ski resorts I could have visited!!!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to Zermatt in 06, and loved it. We're going to Lech in 08, and hope to love it too.

Not loving the euro conversion right now, though. :Cry:

Nasturtium

Diva in Training
Yes, it has always annoyed me about the US that we typically only get two weeks of vacation a year whereas in a lot of other countries people get six.

Yes and no. If you have kids you're stuck with the one week of spring break when everybody goes skiing in Europe.

I'm glad to hear mention of where we're going this year in Italy.

I can really only compare Canada, Austria and Michigan.

Canada was a ghost town compared to Europe. In Austria over spring break we don't even have to speak German bcs everybody is Dutch; in the hotel, the restaurant workers and even instructors.

We've gone to Big Powderhorn, MI in the UP after Christmas for the last few years. It's a sweet little place with just a few runs but great for our family's varied skiing abilities. Not really that crowded.

If I had endless funds and time I would go back to Kicking Horse BC. It's a pain to get to but worth it.

-Nancy

Jilly

Staff member
Kicking Horse BC
Canada was a ghost town compared to Europe

Well KH is new and not really a place for kids, so only really good skiers and family would go for spring break. Also "spring" break is in March for most of the country. So it would appear as a ghost town in April. Go to Banff, Whistler or Tremlant during March break and you won't go back. If I'm not needed to teach, I'm so not there!

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skiied Italy and Switzerland on this side of the pond and I would go back to Canada in a flash purely for the deserted mountains and basic manners! Hence why I'm going to Norway this winter - I don't want the long trip but I'm hoping Norway will be far more "Canadian"... ;)

Nasturtium - I did Landgraaf 2 weeks ago and I could've murdered someone at the end. Queue etiquette? :injured:

lmccann

Diva in Training
I've only been to Zermatt in Switzerland. The first year we went (2001) the exchange rate was great. We had such a great time, we have been going back every year. It has 3 different areas to ski (same lift ticket for all) and you can ski into Cervinia, Italy from one of them. The run into Cervinia is 7 miles long! The veritical is typically a lot higher in Europe, but the downside is you have to get on multiple lifts and spend 30 minutes getting back to the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna