• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you know The Secret?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I do.

I tried Volkl's new Secret today -- it replaces the Aura -- and I was impressed. It's much more like the old Aura that so many women here loved years ago, and less like the rockered version that replaced it.

For starters, it's narrower in the waist: only 92 underfoot, instead of 100. They've also brought back the traditional camber underfoot, while keeping rocker in the tip and tail. Volkl's new manufacturing process concentrates Titanal sheets in varying thicknesses only where it's needed. So there's metal underfoot and in U-shaped forks in the tip and tail (the company calls that the Titanal frame), as well as a full sheet of metal below a full wood core. If you think this makes it heavy, well, it's heavier than the 90Eight, which I also tried today (boy, that baby floats!), but not nearly as heavy as the Kenja, which is quite a bit stiffer. There's carbon in the tip of the shovel, which adds a level of torsional rigidity and makes it snappy from turn to turn.

Did I like it? Yes! We had a foot of new snow, and though I didn't get to ski it in untracked powder, it was great when the snow got piled up into choppy stuff. Verdict: A lively, stable, fun ski that can take you all over the mountain in all sorts of conditions.

And I even like the graphics:

IMG_6885.JPG

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back to basics for the Mantra M5 and Secret!! I'm sooooooo geeked to try the M5 as my 2004 Auras are beyond time to retire. I would totally consider the Secret, but I'm sure the longest length is going to be 170, so not nearly enough ski for me.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm happy to see waist widths coming back down, as Rossignol has done the same with the Experience 100 (it's now 94.) I'll have to get out on these during testing next week, as 92 under foot will be fine even if we don't have deep snow.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Demoed the Secret in firm conditions at Roundtop. Reminded me of the 2012 Kenjas that I bought. Small sweet spot, great edging, wonderfully responsive. It was good to hear others perspectives because it is a highly hyped ski. IMHO it lives up to the hype.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2019 Volkl Secret
(All-mountain freeride/all-mountain West/deep mountain)

A couple of years ago I decided my “all-mountain West” Volkl Cosmos (twin tips, 130/92/112, 16.1m@161; similar to the original Auras) were done for and got Salomon Lumen 96s to replace them, but I’d been unhappy with the Lumens ever since—they just weren’t fun to ski. At the beginning of this season I discovered that one of the Salomon bindings’ toe pressure pads was missing, and in spite of knowing the bindings would probably function properly, I took it as a sign I needed to ditch them and get something else to replace the Cosmos. So the hunt was on. I eventually ended up with a short list—Volkl 90EightW & Atomic Vantage 95 C W—& had begun to consider the Head Kore as well. Demo’ing looked like it wasn’t going to happen—Schweitzer & the Inland Northwest don’t have the crowds to support many demos, and the early season was bad in the Cascades & Sierras so shops down there didn’t set up many, especially lighter and more off-piste skis. It just so happened a shop in Truckee had both the 90EightWs &Vantage 95 C Ws in stock, but neither as a demo. The salesman mentioned Volkl’s new 2019 ski, the Secret (130/92/113, 16m @ 163), and said he’d heard good things about it, but had none to demo. He offered to find a pair in my size & get them mounted up for me to buy with a satisfaction guarantee for 100% of the purchase price. The rep had the last pair in the whole area sitting in his garage and immediately brought them to the shop to be mounted. So, contrary to advice offered many times (including by myself) on The Ski Diva, I ended up buying them (actually stealing them for less than $500 with bindings!) without having demo’d them first.

OMG, I love these skis!

For years we’ve heard about Volkl’s Mantra, how great it’s been for those that can handle it, and spanks those that can’t. The new version, the M5, is much improved & more forgiving, and finally women get in on the action with the Secret. The Secret is basically the same ski as the M5 Mantra, but the waist is a little narrower to accommodate shorter lengths of women’s skis, resulting in the same feel and performance. The Secret has Volkl’s classic precise feel, but this time the sweet spot is bigger without sacrificing carving ability and smooth speed. In spite of being an excellent carver, this ski can smear with the best of them, and for powder & bumps the swing weight is nil. The construction is multi-layered with softer flex in the tip & tail, carbon tip & tail to reduce weight & add torsional rigidity, and a variable metal “Titanal frame.” With metal only on the perimeter, and not down the center of the ski, weight is reduced without sacrificing performance. It has a moderately rockered tip with camber underfoot.

I skied them in a foot of freshies, skied out soft snow, both firm and soft groomers, bumps, steep deep blown snow, short turns and long turns, and they performed well in all those conditions. These skis are agile, lively, and responsive and are a wonderful change from my boring Salomon Lumens………

Every time I get on them I like them more. They do what I want them to do, so well in fact that I quit thinking about my skis at all, but then I think about them again & just smile.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks QuiverQueen! I demoed the Secret on hard pack and it was awesome. I am planning an extensive trip out west for next season, and I wasn't sure about the Secrets for out west. I am jealous of the deal you got, too!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried the Mantra a few years ago(before they got rocker) and hated it so much.Sure,it was sort of a blast on piste doing dig GS turns and charged through chundery crud but it was so dead feeling.Maybe if I skied the same ski now I might have a different opinion as I've improved a fair bit.Anyway,I love my Enforcers which really are(for me) the perfect NZ ski.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I tried the Mantra a few years ago(before they got rocker) and hated it so much.Sure,it was sort of a blast on piste doing dig GS turns and charged through chundery crud but it was so dead feeling.Maybe if I skied the same ski now I might have a different opinion as I've improved a fair bit.Anyway,I love my Enforcers which really are(for me) the perfect NZ ski.

I recently demoed the 2019 Volkl Secret 170 - it was dependable and stable and tackled everything well, but it lacked something for me. I have learned that I tend to prefer a livelier ski so although I had no complaints, it didn't make me want to jump back on the lift and sneak another run either.

My biggest demo love that day was the 2019 Head Kore 93 171 - it had my desired fun factor, held a solid edge, was lightweight but also very stable. It definitely made me want to stretch out my time on it! After skiing my pre-metal 2016 Santa Ana 100 177 on my March trip to Utah in low/firm snow conditions my knees were yelling at me. I may be in the market for something narrower and the Head Kore 93 is definitely on my list.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Wonder how similar it is to the Elan Ripstick W94, which I just demo'd and loved. Similar waist width. Will try Secret early next season at demo days.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Wonder how similar it is to the Elan Ripstick W94, which I just demo'd and loved. Similar waist width. Will try Secret early next season at demo days.

You and I tend to enjoy the same skis - if you get a chance to try the Head Kore 93 I would be interested to hear what you think!

Ruuski

Diva in Training
My Blizzard Black Pearls won't last another season and I'm looking for something with a bit more edge. I've tested Volkl Kenja before and have been torn between new Blizzards and Kenjas - but last week I got the Secrets out for a short test and had a blast. I think I'm going to buy them but the question for me is which length is best. I'm 5ft3in, 160lbs, and am an advanced fairly aggressive skier. 159 in Black Pearls was great. Now I'm in between 156 or 163 and can't decide whether to go down or up! Any guidance appreciated!

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am 5'4" and 180. I test drove the Secret in a 163 length. I am sticking with that. I have a 163 Kenja, and a 156 Kenja, and just didn't feel solid on the 156 on steeps, and ended up using it as a teaching ski.

Ruuski

Diva in Training
Thanks for your feedback, really helpful. How do you feel the Kenjas compare to the Secret and which do you prefer? Are you a Secret convert?

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Secret reminds me what I love best about the volkls...the edge hold, the maneuverability, and the ready for anything attitude. When I asked, they delivered. The Kenja is a little wider underfoot. While a great ski, the Secret is a bit quicker edge-to-edge.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
You and I tend to enjoy the same skis - if you get a chance to try the Head Kore 93 I would be interested to hear what you think!
Yikes! That might be a bit much for me, in early Dec! Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna