• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you have a ski vacation planned this year?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
By "ski vacation," I mean several days to a week (or more) at a place other than your home mountain.

If you're lucky enough to have that planned, where are you going? And when (you don't have to give specific dates; just tell us around when)?

Jilly

Staff member
Not really, just vacationing at the home mountain. It's a 4 1/2 hr drive, so is it really home?? Planning New Years and Feb for one week. Maybe end of March for level 3 CSIA course.

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, you've heard me gripe before, but the only way I can ski is to take a vacation. We're just really lucky that my husband gets so much vacation time. Our plans are:

November 18-25: Summit County, CO. An early season gamble. Hopefully we'll be able to ski Breck, Copper, Vail, Keystone, and Beaver Creek. Last year at T-giving there was lots of acreage open. Hopefully this year will be similar.

February 3-10: Banff, Alberta CA. First time ski trip to Canada. Can't wait to see Lake Louise. We take a Feb. ski trip each year. Every other year we go to the Park City/Little Cottonwood Canyon areas in Utah and then the other year we will go somewhere new. This is a "somewhere new" year.

March 10-17: Steamboat Springs. We chose to visit Steamboat during spring break because we were hoping that since Steamboat is a bit harder to get to than the other CO resorts, that we might not have quite the crowd problems. One can hope.

We have to schedule our trips around school breaks and make sure that it isn't during a very busy time for hubby at work (end of quarter vacations are a huge no-no).

BTW, our vacations are what we live for, but the credit card statement will likely eventually kill us. :rolleyes:

Marigee

Angel Diva
Our family is going to Steamboat at 12/23-12/31. We went last year at the same time and didn't find it too crowded.

I am going back to Steamboat 1/12-1/16 with my 3 sisters and our sister-in-law. I would have preferred to go in early Feb - but it was the only time all 5 of us could get together.

1/26-1/30 kids have a 4 day weekend. We will probably go to Snowshoe WV - but are thinking of driving up to Vermont.

3/29-4/5 Summit County (Breck, Keystone, Vail - maybe Copper)

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dawn: Have you booked your room in Summit County? We are in Buenos Ares from 11/17 to 11/28, and have been looking for someone to stay at our place to watch our cats and greyhound.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our whole family is going to Steamboat Springs March 4-10th.It looks like that is a common destination for the Divas. It will be our first time there and now that so many of you plan trips there, I am really excited.

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lisamarie said:
Dawn: Have you booked your room in Summit County? We are in Buenos Ares from 11/17 to 11/28, and have been looking for someone to stay at our place to watch our cats and greyhound.
Oh man! If only I were a last minute planner! We've had our place booked for awhile now. It's via VRBO so the cancellation policy is pretty strict. We'd lose our entire deposit of 50%. I'm so sorry. This would have been a win-win for both of us. Plus, we also have kitties and watching yours would keep us from missing ours too much.

I know it's not ideal, but if you can't find anyone, maybe we can swing by each day and look in after them and give them fresh food and water. I'm not sure how that would work with the puppy though (I bet a greyhound is never small enough to be considered a puppy, but that's how I refer to all dogs). ;)

Let me know and I hope you have a great time in Buenos Aires!!

HotChocolate

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 2 definite trips planned for this season the first one is Feb 24 - March 3 to Steamboat Springs, yeah Champagne Powder!! Then it's off to Loon March 22 -25 for a long weekend. Still deciding on one other and have to make up my mind between Big Sky April 1-6, Mammoth April 21-28 or Sun Peaks, BC March 30 - April 6th. I haven't been to either but I'm leaning towards Big Sky since I've heard so much about it. Any suggestions?

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm currently comtemplating replacing the Sutton trip with one to Whistler, staying at the Club Intrawest there, in late April. Has anyone ever been there, or been there that late in the season?

Jilly

Staff member
How late?? You may not be able to ski to the bottom. Downloading is normal in April. Also there is a big event in April, but I'm not sure when. It would be on WB website.

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apr. 22 - 28 or so. Haven't decided just yet. Thanks for the heads-up about the event. I'll check their website.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like I'm going out west this winter after all: Steamboat, 3/4 through 3/10.

This makes my third trip to the Boat, but my first one since 1999 (I still have my pass on my bulletin board over my desk!). I am so excited!!!!! Yahooooo!

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
The whole family is off to Breckenridge Jan 2-7 (Nothing like getting 3 kids in 3 different states all there and everyone arriving at the airport around the same time. That was a feat in itself). Maybe spend a day at Copper w/friends. :D

Thinking of planning another for the spring if hubby will be home. Or maybe one with the girls if he's not! :p

Been to Whistler a few times, Bat Girl. LOVED it. But never been there that late.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just had to reply because I am currently going through the frustrations of trying to book a house for a mini-vacation in January. I usually don't do the planning, in fact last year was the first time I went on a ski trip, and it was fairly lackadaisical in planning. The Boy booked a condo and we used it as our base of operations, then drove around to a few other places. I think I had more fun on our day trips to Jay Peak than the days we spent at Sutton (but the food around Sutton was much better!)

This year I've got several planned, or at least scheduled. I have to take advantage of the fact that The Boy is temporarily assigned out in CO!

So for Xmas we're doing Summit County, but we don't know where or whatever. We're going to try and find some cheap last-minute lodging deals because the prices for booking now are just out of this world during the holidays. Any tips from you ladies on that? Anyway, the days don't count for vacation for me since my company shuts down during the holiday. And we're doing 'christmas presents' of ski lift tickets!

Right now though I'm planning a fairly large group trip up to Okemo. I wanted a good beginner-friendly mountain for a mixed bag of people, mostly beginners and intermediates. I wanted some place that we could drive to for a long weekend, and that wouldn't intimidate them. Now I just have to find a house with a hot tub that is affordable! (I never get a hot tub, but since we've got at least 10 people I'm making it a priority!)

Then I've got a week in February where I want to head back out to CO and take some bumps lessons at Winter Park/MJ (I've promised myself them this year!)

And that's just ski trips! I've still got a climbing trip or two to plan for the spring/summer/fall! Not enough vacation!!!! :D

K.

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kimmy:

Summit County is the Copper/Keystone/Breck area, right? I'm new at this and still learning the lingo. If that is the area, check out a La Quinta Inn in Dillion, CO. I got a AAA rate there for $50/night last year in April. It's right off the main highway, very clean, and convenient to all the ski areas. The room had a king-size bed, pull-out sofa, microwave, and fridge. There was also a free breakfast every morning with make-your-own waffles, cereal, yogurt, fruit, and pastries. Oh, and there was an outlet mall right across the way. I'd definitely go back again.

Hope that helps.

BatGirl

BatGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, the La Quinta is in Silverthorne, not Dillion (though I don't think it makes a big difference), and the rates seem to have gone up to $71/night.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HotChocolate said:
I have 2 definite trips planned for this season the first one is Feb 24 - March 3 to Steamboat Springs, yeah Champagne Powder!! Then it's off to Loon March 22 -25 for a long weekend. Still deciding on one other and have to make up my mind between Big Sky April 1-6, Mammoth April 21-28 or Sun Peaks, BC March 30 - April 6th. I haven't been to either but I'm leaning towards Big Sky since I've heard so much about it. Any suggestions?

What kind of skiing do you like? Skier level, groomers or ungroomed, trails or open bowls, etc. Give me a few details and I can probably make some suggestions to help you decide between those three resorts. Those later dates at Mammoth will probably mean spring conditions, and if you don't like skiing/riding in heavy, wet snow, that's something worth considering.

Thatsagirl

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually take several trips out West, but this season, I'll be spending more time on the East Coast. The one Western trip I have planned is Crested Butte, with a day of snowcat skiing at nearby Monarch. :D Hubby and I went to CB last year and loved it. I skied some terrain that definitely put me in the "yikes!!" :eek: zone and moved me to the "next level." :smile: I'm going again this year because that is where the annual ski writers meeting is being held. Now that I've taken several snowcat skiing trips, I'm eager to check out Monarch.

In December, I am going to Sugarloaf for a few days. I'll be skiing at Stowe a few times in December, but that's not really a "vacation" because I won't be staying overnight there. I also am thinking of going to Okemo, Stratton, Bretton Woods and Cannon for a few days each. Maybe some one-day trips to Smuggs, Sugarbush and Mad River Glen.

Thatsagirl

ADKskier

Diva in Training
I'll be traveling to Alta in March (8th-12th) and staying at the Goldminer's Daughter on the mountain. Anyone ever been/stayed there? I'm REALLY excited for the trip!

As for East Coast skiing, I'll be spending two weeks at my home mountain Whiteface after x-mas and through January. I'll take several day trips to the Catskils (Belleayre, Plattekill) - I love these little hills - always a great time to be had there.

And the last one is unofficial/still in the works....once law school ends (forever!) in May, and before I start studying for the Bar exam (yikes), I'm thinking of going to Mammoth! They had GREAT skiing in May last year, and it looks like a great way to celebrate graduation.

To people that are skiing this Thanksgiving - Have a great time!!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're hoping to get to Steamboat the end of March for Nastar Nationals (of course we both have to qualify first). Hubby's never been out west before - I just know he's gonna find a job and send me back here to pack up the house and the dogs (oh shucky darn, that would just SUCK! ;) )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna