• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do I NEED Powder Skis?!?!

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Since I'm sitting at my computer (working, ish) and staring at the mountain....I'm contemplating what I need (not want, because....need a lotto ticket for that!) for next season. I 'only' got 45 days on the mountain this year, would expect that number to increase significantly next year if the season....happens. My daily driver skis are Volkl 90Eight and I truly adore them, but think I might need something a bit fatter with more of a rocker for offroading and deep snow days?

Do I need powder skis? or am I looking for ways to spend money?

If I do add to the quiver.....any thoughts on the Volkl 100Eight or something from the Black Crows family?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most people here will say no, don't buy more sk.... HA HA, no I'm kidding. You've come to Purchase-Enabling Central. :yahoo:

I have Volkl 90Eights and love them. IMHO you should get the 100Eights and then tell us how great they are and how I should get a pair for next season!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know about NEED. But why not try? That being said. while I do have powder specific skis, my favorite skis for all conditions for the past 15 years have been my Head Monster 88. (I have had several pairs, not the same one for 15 years). They have worked fabulous for me in all conditions, except moguls (though 99% of that is my technique not the skis)

I guess my question would be do you feel comfortable and stable in off-piste conditions? Do you enjoy powder days? How much time would you say you spend on groomed vs. ungroomed.

Wider more rockered skis can definitely skiing in powder more fun and definitely does make it a little easier. BUT at least for me its not a huge difference. That being said, I did still buy a new pair of wider rockered skis for next season.

Christy

Angel Diva
My powder skis ARE 98s. (And I have 85s for hardpack). I like @Sheena's questions. Do you find yourself having a hard time with your skis in deep snow? I'm not saying you wouldn't like wider skis but I wonder how much of a difference you'll notice if your dailies are 98s. Maybe some, if they are longer too. I had a pair of 88 width that were too long for me that functioned great as powder skis.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Do I need powder skis? or am I looking for ways to spend money?
Or are you looking for a way to have more fun when you get lucky and catch a powder storm? :smile:

Since I have to fly to ski big mountains, I wasn't in the market for powder skis. I've improved technique enough in recent years with the help of really good instructors that I can have quite a good time in 12+ inches of fresh powder on my all-mountain 85mm skis. I spent money on semi-private lessons before starting to buy expensive skis (>$500). I would usually rent on mountain on powder days with > 10 inches of fresh snow and usually at least changed out at lunch. So I learned which brands and models I liked better. Made it easier to know what to ask for when renting.

Since I knew what I liked, when a Diva offered powder skis for sale that were a perfect fit . . . I waffled for a while but ending up buying them. Had a very good time with them at Steamboat in fresh snow last Feb. Helped that I can store them at my ski buddy's house so I won't have to lug them around airports. He drives from home for our trips out west.

Jilly

Staff member
Really the question is how many times do you get the conditions to use this type of ski? Is the expenditure worth it?

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
@Jilly that's a hard question! Since i moved to Park City, i probably only skied 2-3 good powder days this year (between bad luck and having to travel mon-thursday most weeks). And, honestly, my Volkls are awesome and they do 'fine' in powder. But...I want to do more, better, faster, and all that. I'm contemplating some touring, etc. so realistically....I probably need to expand the quiver, but need to do some hard thinking on what my toolkit needs to include.

But.....those sales though. Sighs.

Jilly

Staff member
Oh, I know. I really don't like my Atomic Vantage 95C's. And now they are stuck in a consignment shop that isn't open. But they will sell next fall I hope.

I really need something more all mountain and less width. My arthritic knees didn't like the width of the 95's. Tried an 82 Brahma last fall and they didn't seem so bad. But I'm going to demo early in the season if possible.

elemmac

Angel Diva
The SMART move is probably to do the snow dance then rent / demo every chance we get big snow....it is very difficult to ignore the sales and the urge to collect shiny toys :(

Maybe I just like shiny new toys but, the math works out in my opinion...

Take the Volkl 100eight:
Normal price for skis + bindings = approx. $1000
Sale price for skis + bindings (assuming 30%, which is what a lot of sales are running right now) = $700
Re-sale price in 2-3 years (assuming you took good care of them) = $400

So, you've spent $300 over 2-3 years. Assuming a rental/demo would cost you $50/day. You'd break even with only 6 powder days.

Now...the nice part of owning a powder ski vs. renting one is you don't have to waffle over the decision of if it's going to be a "good" powder day (worth renting a powder ski) or an "okay" one (not worth renting a powder ski). Kind of like having a season pass...you don't have to worry if it's going to be worth it or not.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Maybe I just like shiny new toys but, the math works out in my opinion...

Take the Volkl 100eight:
Normal price for skis + bindings = approx. $1000
Sale price for skis + bindings (assuming 30%, which is what a lot of sales are running right now) = $700
Re-sale price in 2-3 years (assuming you took good care of them) = $400

So, you've spent $300 over 2-3 years. Assuming a rental/demo would cost you $50/day. You'd break even with only 6 powder days.

Now...the nice part of owning a powder ski vs. renting one is you don't have to waffle over the decision of if it's going to be a "good" powder day (worth renting a powder ski) or an "okay" one (not worth renting a powder ski). Kind of like having a season pass...you don't have to worry if it's going to be worth it or not.

:rotf: Your enabling game is strong!!

kiki

Angel Diva
I have only used my powder skis once since I got them (hubby mentions this a lot). it’s hard to know the snow conditions before you get there, and powder gets packed out quickly, so on the times i would have used them they were at home, or I chose not to take as I didn’t know if it would be worthwhile for the whole day. It depends on the logistics for if you will have the ability to have them handy when the powder strikes, and ability to switch out if warranted.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My short answer, yes! My long answer, yes! I do get to ski on average 100 days a year as I work on snow for a living. My daily drivers are either my 88 or 96 underfoot skis. I use my 115 underfoot once a year at best as they are unskiable in bumps or firm snow. The 106s come out pretty often though. They are good in terms of edge hold, can get through tight trees well, and are actually fun to carve when up on edge, though of course they excel at a schmeary, slarvy, kind of turn. My ski game in powder improved dramatically with the wider, longer, softer boards. I felt comfortable really turning up the speed dial, which had been an issue on skis I did not trust to float enough. It also has helped me develop my less edgy turn and having a quiver not only of skis, but more importantly of turns has been really fun. Best of luck, and may we all ski soft champagne pow pow next winter again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna