• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do I need Booster Straps?

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't really know much about booster straps. What do they do and how do you know if you need them? I've read they make the boots stiffer???

Last edited by a moderator:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Not to hijack the thread but I don't really know much about booster straps. What do they do and how do you know if you need them? I've read they make the boots stiffer???

Not at all, happy to have any Booster Strap discussion and information people are willing to share. Someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in, but my understanding is that they can make the flex more progressive overall. Since the Booster Strap is more elastic it flexes through with you versus a Power Strap that you can flex into and have it be more of a wall. Not sure if that makes sense beyond in my own head and how I picture it. There are different "strengths" of booster straps, so that might determine if and how much they may increase stiffness.. I'm trying to look for ways to make my boots easier to flex, so I'm hoping to not actually make them stiffer in the process. I've read things saying that they do and don't stiffen a boot though so I'm not sure what the consensus is.

I don't think they stiffened my previous boot when I used them, it was more about the smoothness of the flex pattern *I think*.. Though I should really search back and see if I wrote anything on the Forum about the rationale at the time. I bet there is something in my boot saga haha.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not to hijack the thread but I don't really know much about booster straps. What do they do and how do you know if you need them? I've read they make the boots stiffer???
I don't really know much about booster straps. What happened in Dec was that my Alta instructor strongly recommended that my ski buddy get some. He's an older advanced skier who learned as an adult. It was the next to last day of the trip, so he didn't get too much chance to tell what the advantages were. His boots are relatively new.

my understanding is that they can make the flex more progressive overall. Since the Booster Strap is more elastic it flexes through with you versus a Power Strap that you can flex into and have it be more of a wall.
That matches what the Alta instructor said. My ski buddy got the Intermediate version.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, what @MissySki said. Also, they can help with shin bang by evenly distributing pressure down the shin when you flex. I got them for both reasons, and I've had them for so long now that at this point, it would be weird not to ski without them.

elemmac

Angel Diva
What do they do and how do you know if you need them? I've read they make the boots stiffer???

I recently (last season) switched my straps to Boosters, and love them. My biggest problem was my existing power straps had a limit on how tight they could physically go. It wasn't tight enough to hold the boot securely against my shin. That small gap created regular shin bang, and a loose feeling.

For me, the strap does a couple things worth noting:
- The metal closure allows me to get the strap tighter, and the boot cuff to fit better. It removes any gap between my shin and the tongue of the boot, this creates an instant energy transmission at the start of my turn. A properly fitting "normal" power strap will have a similar feeling.
- The elasticity of the strap creates a more snappy rebound at the end of my turn. The boot seems to return to it's "resting position" much quicker with the assistance of the Booster strap.

I'm not really sure about it creating a more progressive flex pattern. I feel like the flex comes from the boot material and construction, not from the powerstrap. The powerstrap is all about the transmission of energy from the skier, to the boot, then to the ski...not the flex pattern. If anyone has any data/information on it changing the flex in a more progressive way I would love to read it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
If anyone has any data/information on it changing the flex in a more progressive way I would love to read it.

I've read things to this effect on different ski forums, but nothing "official" myself.

So do you feel like it changes anything about how easy or difficult it is to flex your boot, or that it really just affects the fit of the boot in your case to get that constant contact?

elemmac

Angel Diva
So do you feel like it changes anything about how easy or difficult it is to flex your boot, or that it really just affects the fit of the boot in your case to get that constant contact?

Personally, I think it made it easier to flex my boot. But I think that had to do with getting the "correct" fit around my leg, that I couldn't get with the Nordica's strap. I wouldn't say that it changed the flex pattern, nor the stiffness.

I did just read through the Booster strap website out of curiosity. They don't say anything about it creating a more progressive flex, so I'm kind of inclined to think it's a bit more of a buzz word than anything...but I have nothing to really back that up beyond my own thought process. I'm thinking about it from a fairly nerdy point of view; Ski boots generally have some type of progressive flex (some are more linear than others), and I don't see how adding an elastic band, that generally acts similar to a linear spring, would create a more progressive flex.

marzNC

Angel Diva
In my ski buddy's situation, the Alta instructor comment was that he had "skinny legs." We were looking at the top of the boot on the slopes after pulling up his ski pants. In addition to the Booster Strap, the other addition that afternoon was the Eliminator to make the ski boot tongue thicker. So the goal seemed to be to make for a better fit near the shins. The instructor uses both himself.

Christy

Angel Diva
Because of all this booster strap talk, I saw my fitter today and had them put on. I had them on my last pair of boots and I liked them a lot – – I'm not sure why I never got them put on my current pair.

Anyway, he puts them on and says, "and the straps will dangle and everyone will think you're cool." Which I thought was so funny because so many people complimented me on my booster straps when I had them before! I never understood it--it's just a strap. They did have zebra stripes. My new ones are argyle.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Okay, now I am going to have to try Booster Straps, but I want Zebra! :cry:

lisamamot

Angel Diva

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am going to give these a try too. Got the Kids' version based on weight rather than skill level. They are more of a snow leopard print.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am going to give these a try too. Got the Kids' version based on weight rather than skill level. They are more of a snow leopard print.
I saw that print in the shop - love it! When I was talking to a shop gal I trust, she indicated the Expert model is what most of the racers around here use. I am right above the line dividing Intermediate and Expert when I take both weight and skill into account, but I went with weight as well.

For those that haven't seen it, here is the chart:

1610827665020.png

elemmac

Angel Diva
I am right above the line dividing Intermediate and Expert when I take both weight and skill into account, but I went with weight as well.

For what it’s worth, I was recommended to round up if you’re in between sizes. I believe the intermediate is 2 elastics, expert is 3...you can always cut an elastic out if it’s too much, but you need to buy a new strap if it’s not enough.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
For what it’s worth, I was recommended to round up if you’re in between sizes. I believe the intermediate is 2 elastics, expert is 3...you can always cut an elastic out if it’s too much, but you need to buy a new strap if it’s not enough.
Drat. Oh, well, I already ordered the intermediate and BONUS they are zebra, lol. I am right on the line and since I am a finesse rather than a power skier I expect I will be fine. If they end-up not being enough, we will just add it to the pile of lessons learned.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Their website says chat and email support available. They do have the expert in the same print, just a little more, so you can reach out and ask about changing your order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly