• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do boot gloves work?

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
I've seen them recommended here and there over the years, but do they actually keep your feet warmer and are they easy to use? Before I drop yet more money on something ski-related, I'd love a good recommendation from the wise divas! Cold feet are such a bummer and I'm eager to do what I can to fix them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So do you have Hotronics or any other aftermarket heated elements or socks? I ask because I do in fact think that boot gloves work, but for me they take the edge off when it’s super super cold and/or windy on top of the Hotronics (which are fantastic and I literally couldn’t ski without them because my feet turn into blocks of ice without them.). I don’t think bootgloves would be enough for me without Hotronics on most cold days in New England, but that is for someone like me with extremities that just do not tolerate the cold.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
So do you have Hotronics or any other aftermarket heated elements or socks? I ask because I do in fact think that boot gloves work, but for me they take the edge off when it’s super super cold and/or windy on top of the Hotronics (which are fantastic and I literally couldn’t ski without them because my feet turn into blocks of ice without them.). I don’t think bootgloves would be enough for me without Hotronics on most cold days in New England, but that is for someone like me with extremities that just do not tolerate the cold.

No, I figured I'd try gloves (if they're decent) first because I have such tricky feet (wide, high arch, large calves) that I'm hesitant to mess with anything inside the boot, although it's not like I have such an amazing, perfect boot fit right now anyway...

Jilly

Staff member
You have boot heaters installed in your custom footbeds. I tried the boot gloves for awhile, but ended up with the heaters. Sometimes you need both.

Only thing about the boot glove is the elastic band. If you do a lot of walking with the glove on, it will wear and eventually tear the band. And if you need to fiddle with your buckles, it's really hard to do.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
We have the Seirus Boot Masque. It is like the Boot Glove but the strap goes under the arch and isn't exposed to the ground when walking. My husband and I both have them. I've found them to provide a little extra warmth but the biggest benefit for us both is helping to keep snow melt out of the boot. Water has no way to work its way through the overlap seam. We've found our feet stay dryer, and thus warmer. Only drawback, as mentioned above, is needing to adjust top of foot buckles as they are not easily accessible.

MissySki

Angel Diva
We have the Seirus Boot Masque. It is like the Boot Glove but the strap goes under the arch and isn't exposed to the ground when walking. My husband and I both have them. I've found them to provide a little extra warmth but the biggest benefit for us both is helping to keep snow melt out of the boot. Water has no way to work its way through the overlap seam. We've found our feet stay dryer, and thus warmer. Only drawback, as mentioned above, is needing to adjust top of foot buckles as they are not easily accessible.

Ohhh I had no idea there was a competitive product on the market now, will have to compare sometime. I actually stopped using Bootgloves at one point because I was busting that darn strap underfoot left and right (and it was just from skiing on my bindings I guess because I used to use my cat tracks constantly at that time so I wasn’t walking on them!), I was so mad because that one piece is such a known design flaw they never fixed. I went back though because I do like the product.. for some reason I haven’t torn the pair I have yet, perhaps because I usually only wear them on more select days than I used to or maybe it’s made better now.. Love that this other brand fixed the design issue!!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
@MissySki We've had our covers 3-4 years now, so they've been around. They are just not carried by many retailers so they don't get a lot of visibility. We've only seen the Seirus ones at one ski shop in the region. My brother is looking to get a pair for this season.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't know there was a competitive product, either! Good to know. The front strap of the Boot Gloves does tend to wear out over time; I think having it under the arch makes a lot more sense.

My feet are cold all the time and I've found the only thing that really works are Hotronics boot heaters. That said, I think the Boot Gloves amp things up a bit when it's brutally cold. Yesterday, for example, it was -20°F with the wind chill, and I used both Hotronics AND Boot Gloves. My feet were warm the whole time I was out. Maybe it's because they help cut the wind? I don't know. I also think they help keep my boots dryer -- and hence warmer -- when the snow is deep.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the responses, all. I wonder if I can track down the Seirus ones - I've heard that strap on the Boot Gloves is annoying. What about those heated socks? That sounds intriguing, but I've never really heard about them.

Christy

Angel Diva
Boot gloves work for me. They also seem to prevent snow from getting in my 4 buckle style boots. I haven't had an issue with the strap. Caveat--I don't consistently ski in very cold temps. They are sufficient for what I do ski in (mostly 20s).

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Boot Glove competitor from Japan. I can't remember what they are called. I haven't used them since I got Hotronics.

I found them! https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-sonoda-sports/item/maski2/
There is a ski instructor on staff here who is from Japan who my (now) husband gets them from. They also attach under the arch so you aren't walking on them. They are easier to find in itty bitty sizes. I gave them to my daughter since I don't use them any more. They are a better product also because of the zipper, which allows access to the lower boot buckles.

So to answer the question, they work a bit but not great.

And if you want a laugh, read the reviews on the page I posted. :laughter:

"About payment, credit card, or bank transfer and be happy."

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Here’s a pic of my 27.5 size boots in the Seirus covers. I’m at the limit of the size s/m. The l/xl that fit my husband’s 28.5 were too big. Smaller boot just means more strap that wraps around the back of the boot. I do have to be careful to not pull them too tight otherwise the toe pulls up. I think the manufacturer pic of the covers makes them look way bigger than they really are. I can still access the top buckles, which are covered by my ski pants.
Hmm... I just noticed the manufacturer pic ones look different than mine. That pic does look a bit dated tho.
ED31675F-6218-4CB7-9465-44DB42EC5844.jpeg

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My feet are cold all the time and I've found the only thing that really works are Hotronics boot heaters. That said, I think the Boot Gloves amp things up a bit when it's brutally cold. Yesterday, for example, it was -20°F with the wind chill, and I used both Hotronics AND Boot Gloves. My feet were warm the whole time I was out. Maybe it's because they help cut the wind? I don't know. I also think they help keep my boots dryer -- and hence warmer -- when the snow is deep.

Ageed- Boot gloves do help and the Hotronics work better, but on the really cold days the best solution is using both. Was talking to another skier while booting up who was using the heated socks (Lenz). He said he had previously used boot heaters and the socks were warmer.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now I have the Hotronics. They are OK, not warm but prevent freezing. However the last few days with windchills well below zero and air barely in the single digits has me out with the Boot Glove. Just that little bit of insulation makes a big difference.

After talking to an instructor who stands outside a lot of the day, I will switch to heated socks when my Hotronics die or I get new boots. He says it's much warmer and the batteries are much smaller. And it can be controlled from your phone while your boots are on.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've seen them recommended here and there over the years, but do they actually keep your feet warmer and are they easy to use? Before I drop yet more money on something ski-related, I'd love a good recommendation from the wise divas! Cold feet are such a bummer and I'm eager to do what I can to fix them.
The short answer is that Boot Gloves work but may not be the optimal solution if your feet are always cold. I don't usually get cold feet. However, when temps are in the single digits or low teens (northeast, Rockies) I've been glad to have Boot Gloves. I don't take breaks indoors that often so always take them off when I go in.

newboots

Angel Diva
Wow, I didn't know that about the socks! Smaller batteries would be a plus.

I use stick-on toe warmers, and my feet are happy most days. I have boot gloves that help on the ridiculously cold days, and in the wind. I never imagined that wind could make my feet colder in these huge boots, but it does.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The wind gets in through that overlap spot just behind the toes on the top of the boot where the two flaps end. I have stuffed gooey putty in the rather big gap in my boots, and have several layers of duct tape over that area on the top. The duct tape holds pretty well and stretches, as does the putty on the inside. They work together to block the wind.

Boot gloves help cut the wind too, and they preserve SOME of the warmth, if there is any, inside the boot.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I didn't know that about the socks! Smaller batteries would be a plus.

I use stick-on toe warmers, and my feet are happy most days. I have boot gloves that help on the ridiculously cold days, and in the wind. I never imagined that wind could make my feet colder in these huge boots, but it does.

I can't get my foot in the boot without losing the toe warmers. We'll see after the next boot surgery over the holidays.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna