• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Divas who are musicians?

Tvan

Angel Diva
I made all three kids learn the piano and started to play it myself but never had the time to practice. I'd highly recommend the Suzuki method. You listen to the music for a week or more before you attempt to play it and I was shocked by what I could "pick up."

Artistinsuburbia - I was a Suzuki child, and then a Suzuki teacher! I got my Masters in Suzuki education and taught for 10 years...even travelled to Matsumoto to study with Dr. Suzuki for a summer. I wish I could collect a quarter every time I hear someone say "I wish my parents hadn't let me quit the XYZ..." I would be very, very rich. Props to you for providing your kids w/ lessons.

Even though I changed careers years ago, music is still a big part of my life...and we have a *lot* of instruments around here. GardenMary - we have three guitars and three ukuleles...as well as about a dozen flutes (my husband collects flutes from all cultures) and about 10 gongs as well as a cello, a celtic harp, two violins and a piano. A substantial quiver!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Artistinsuburbia - I was a Suzuki child, and then a Suzuki teacher! I got my Masters in Suzuki education and taught for 10 years...even travelled to Matsumoto to study with Dr. Suzuki for a summer. I wish I could collect a quarter every time I hear someone say "I wish my parents hadn't let me quit the XYZ..." I would be very, very rich. Props to you for providing your kids w/ lessons.

Even though I changed careers years ago, music is still a big part of my life...and we have a *lot* of instruments around here. GardenMary - we have three guitars and three ukuleles...as well as about a dozen flutes (my husband collects flutes from all cultures) and about 10 gongs as well as a cello, a celtic harp, two violins and a piano. A substantial quiver!
Tvan - I hear ya! Guitars are one side of my music; world percussion is the other side. Congas, djembe, bodhran, buffalo drum, and I've lost count of how much hand percussion from all over the world. Got rid of the violin some time ago (played it badly for years, no point in continuing) and the piano, which would have cost more to fix than I paid for it. Gave it to a nice couple who had a friend who was a piano tech who'd agreed to fix it up for them - win/win!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I signed up for Jamplay this morning, looking forward to my first lesson tonight!! I was still hemming and hawing about trying out online stuff, but this morning I found a 50% off coupon for a 1 month membership and $10 was too good to pass up, might as well give it a shot. Hoping it's a good tool in starting out! :smile: I've looked at some of the Youtube stuff out there, and there is a lot which is quite overwhelming for a complete beginner such as myself! So I think it'll be good to at least start out in a structured program since I don't really know how to self guide myself through what I need yet.

I went to my local guitar shop yesterday and talked to some of the guys there, I'll likely bring my guitar by sometime soon so they can check out if it needs a setup since it sat so long without being played. I was able to tune my guitar this weekend and play around a bit, I didn't feel like things sounded off or that it was harder to play in anyway they described with how you'd know if you need some work done to it, but I really don't trust myself as being a good judge to determine if it needs anything or not so I'll bring it in and check sometime soon.

MissySki

Angel Diva
And I am going to be bringing my guitar in sooner than I thought! haha Started my lessons last night, it went well, but we found that my guitar is much harder to play than DH's and kills both my fingers and DH's when he tried playing mine. So something is off, I'll also have them put on the lighter strings while they're at it since I hadn't gotten around to that. You have to push much harder on my strings than DH's to achieve the same chords, it got painful really quickly.

My fingertips are quite unhappy today, can't wait to get some calluses! Everything I type is a nice sore pang on my left hand.

@gardenmary on a note of what I assume affects women more than men, just how short do you keep your finger nails for playing? I cut mine quite short, but I was still having to make my fingers contort differently so my nail wasn't hitting the neck or other strings whereas DH bites his nails down to nothing so he didn't have that problem. Do I need to chop them that far down? Right now they are around the edge of my fingertip, so I guess I need to get shorter than the tip?? Of course DH has played a lot more in the past than me, so while he is doing a bit of a refresher with me and getting some theory in since he always just fooled around on his own, it seems to be coming back to him quite quickly with comfort level whereas I'm obviously all awkward and such on day one.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last fall I bought a guitar on the spur of the moment. Have to say that it was @gardenmary who provided that particular spur. I started with an instructor and am still at it. I'm a very VERY slow learner, and despite that, it is quite satisfying and fun. I use the Hal Leonard Guitar Method book (3 books in 1) that comes with CDs. The Snark electronic tuner is great, is very reasonable < $10. My nails have to be quite short (no whites or barely anything) to avoid fudging the notes and chords, for now anyway, I think that'll improve later on. My guitar is a Taylor Mini GS with metal strings. I thought a smaller, more compact instrument would be easier to learn on, for my shorty fingers, but in reality it's more about getting the proper hand position down. Hope you enjoy it too! I bought another book, one of those idiot guides to learning Guitar, but use only the Leonard book for lessons & practice. I did try doing online lessons at the beginning--the freebies on Mac Garageband--but abandoned that quickly once I started with an instructor. It's an expense but I have learned to read music, am working on mastering all 6 strings & learning chords. I entertain hopes that it'll stave off future dementia. It's enjoyable to learn something like this.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Last fall I bought a guitar on the spur of the moment. Have to say that it was @gardenmary who provided that particular spur. I started with an instructor and am still at it. I'm a very VERY slow learner, and despite that, it is quite satisfying and fun. I use the Hal Leonard Guitar Method book (3 books in 1) that comes with CDs. The Snark electronic tuner is great, is very reasonable < $10. My nails have to be quite short (no whites or barely anything) to avoid fudging the notes and chords, for now anyway, I think that'll improve later on. My guitar is a Taylor Mini GS with metal strings. I thought a smaller, more compact instrument would be easier to learn on, for my shorty fingers, but in reality it's more about getting the proper hand position down. Hope you enjoy it too! I bought another book, one of those idiot guides to learning Guitar, but use only the Leonard book for lessons & practice. I did try doing online lessons at the beginning--the freebies on Mac Garageband--but abandoned that quickly once I started with an instructor. It's an expense but I have learned to read music, am working on mastering all 6 strings & learning chords. I entertain hopes that it'll stave off future dementia. It's enjoyable to learn something like this.

That sounds great, sounds like you are making really good progress in less than a year! I was looking at the Taylor mini online yesterday, looks like a very nice instrument. I kind of wish I didn't already have my cheapo college guitar since I could afford something nicer now, but I guess it won't be bad to practice on this one for awhile and then trade up if I'm enjoying it and stick with it. I'm definitely not opposed to doing private instruction if things don't go well with the online stuff, or even for supplemental help. I also feel like it takes a lot for this type of stuff to seep into my brain so only time will tell if I need more personalized human interaction or not. My issue right now is time, I have too many activities I'm involved with that keep me out of the house after work, so my guitar practice (the first two days of it anyway haha) is happening for around an hour before bedtime. It's nice to have the flexibility to sign into my online account and get to it anytime of the day. I have a book as well but haven't dug it out yet since it is from my college classes it's put away somewhere, perhaps I'll look into the one you are using as well.

My guitar is at the music shop for a setup for a couple of days, but we kept DH's so we could play his and then once mine is back we'll bring his in. I wasn't there with DH when he dropped it off because I was at aerials class yesterday, but I guess he got a great rundown of things for our beginner education. I'm so annoyed at myself that I never knew how to properly store my guitar, it's not like me to not research everything to death. However, both of our guitars were said to be in quite good shape, no warping etc., except that they are drying out alot due to where we have been storing them for the past 9 or 10 years. His is worse than mine because he's had his a lot longer, mine they said would almost fully recover just from being in the humidified shop for the couple of days they'll be working on it (sounds crazy that it'd make such a difference after all the years of drying??).. To make amends to my guitar I'm going to get a hard case and humidifier gel packs (I know nothing really about these options yet since I wasn't at the shop like I said) for it going forward since I only have a soft case right now and it's been on a stand (cringe, near an air vent) for the past 7 years. I also apparently had 14 gauge strings which is what my student guitar came with?!!? No wonder my fingers were hurting so much. They are going to be changed to a custom ultra light string for now which I'm very excited about, I know sound quality won't be as good, but my poor fingers are happy about it to start.

My first objective when I get home this afternoon is to further trim my nails down because they are definitely still too long from what you're describing. My fingers are long and not very small so I definitely need to take off anything extra getting in the way! :smile:

Maybe someday we'll have a diva jam session!! I'm excited that there are other divas out there doing the same thing I am, well quite a bit ahead of me on the journey but still.. this forum always offers inspiration in new endeavors.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yay such a good practice session tonight, cutting my nails ridiculously short made such a big difference in being able to play some clean(er) sounding chords! :smile:

Tvan

Angel Diva
MissySki - it's so great that you are diving in and practicing your guitar! Good for you!!

Tvan

Angel Diva

Awesome!

MissySki

Angel Diva

So I just ordered the Hal Leonard book you mentioned, as well as some other Hal Leonard books on acoustic guitar tablature method because those books looked to have music from lots of artists that I love. I want to be able to read music, but tab is a bit quicker to get into things so I figure it'll keep me motivated and give some instant gratification when the other stuff will probably move much more slowly for me. I can't even count the amount of times in my life that I've been taught the very basics of reading music, but then never really went on to use it enough and therefore lost all concept of it.

I'm REALLY enjoying Jamplay.com! I think that the book will be a nice accompaniment to what I've been doing so far, and fill in some of the questions I've been having come up in my head about music theory. In my lessons so far we've been getting into chords to start, this is a fun challenge with some progressions and easy songs to practice them. I've been going between a couple of different instructor's for lessons, they have both started out in different places so I feel like I'm getting different things out of each of them. This does make me wonder though about what the most efficient way forward is, I'm thinking the method books will add in some nice structure and focus to my practice.

I've definitely made progress from where I started, though I wish it was faster as with everything haha. My fingers are doing much better, they still get sore with practice, but I can go a lot longer now and never have to really stop because I'm in pain, just some quick breaks does it. I do notice that the beginning of my practice is always better than the end, my fingers tend to get tired and then things get sloppy.. I think that's more my hand muscles that need to get stronger. I am amazed at how fast my finger nails grow now that I'm paying so much attention, I have to cut them down constantly to keep them out of the way! :smile:

The best thing is it feels really good to "play" guitar already, I can't wait until someday when I can actually play all sorts of cool stuff! I've continued to practice right before bed, and it really relaxes me.. the bad thing is it also energizes me and then I sometimes practice later than I should so I'm tired in the morning haha. I should probably get into a better habit of practicing earlier, but then I fear I'd get nothing else done because I become quite engrossed in it and lose track of time.

How do others here schedule their practice time? Is there a time of day / length of time you stick to, or just whenever it works for you that day? If I was a morning person I'd do it then because I think it'd be a great way to start the day on a positive note, but a morning person is about the last way I'd ever describe myself so that's completely unrealistic!

Tvan

Angel Diva
How do others here schedule their practice time? Is there a time of day / length of time you stick to, or just whenever it works for you that day?

What seems to work the best for us is practice in short bursts of time throughout the day. We leave instruments out, tuned, and on guitar/ukulele stands so that they are quickly accessible. I know it's not the best thing for stringed instruments to be out of the case for long periods of time, but we practice more when there are fewer "barriers" to just picking up the instrument and playing it.

I'll typically spend an hour or so a day on the weekend, really working technique, and then play 15 - 20 mins or so a day throughout the work week. Some weeks are better than others, and I was definitely practicing cello more last year when I was playing in a community orchestra. I'm hoping to join orchestra again next fall in order to have a regular place to play.

_steener

Diva in Training
I've always felt that music was a part of me. Singing is my passion. I grew up playing piano, and I've been teaching myself guitar.

I went to university for vocal music initially, but found that it was taking away the enjoyment I get from performing. I switched to a different program, but continue to pursue music in my own time. I can't imagine a day without it :D

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
What seems to work the best for us is practice in short bursts of time throughout the day. We leave instruments out, tuned, and on guitar/ukulele stands so that they are quickly accessible.
We do the same thing. Our gear (keyboards, drums, strings, amps) is permanently set up in our living room and each bedroom has an acoustic guitar in a stand. At least one of us is constantly picking up an instrument whenever we have idle hands and there's no set practice time, but lots of practice happens anyway. Although, as @MissySki said, time can get away from you before you know it!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well it's been almost 2 years since I posted in this thread, and sadly life has been so busy that though I often think about practicing guitar, I just don't get around to it! I'm quite frustrated with myself about it because where there is a will there is a way and all that, but yeah I guess my will hasn't been very strong.. Recently I've been thinking about trying a ukulele.. I've been told it's pretty quick to start out and I'm thinking the portability of the instrument might make me take it out with me more often. For example, when it warms up I spend a lot of time on a pretty deserted beach relaxing and waiting for sunset different days after work etc., I've always thought how lovely it'd be to have my guitar and practice in that setting, but I don't feel like lugging it around and/or damaging it with salt water in the air for steel strings and sand etc.. However, the ukulele is so portable, there is a ton out there for learning and covering fun songs because apparently its popularity has grown immensely lately, and it has such a fun, beachy and upbeat sound to it. I'd think it should also be much more forgiving on my lost calluses since the strings are nylon. It's also quite cheap to get started, so I think I'm going to take the plunge. I have been doing a bunch of research online and am pretty sure I'm going to go with a Cardoba 15CM concert size which is ~$99, but I want to go into a store and hold the different sizes and see what sound I like best before I make a final decision. Fingers crossed I can get into a better groove and make some music!!! I've been itching to have a musical outlet recently for some reason, but I just don't think the guitar overall is a good fit for me right now.

Anyone else trying anything new musically?

Tvan

Angel Diva
@MissySki - i have an infestation of ukeleles at my house: 2 Martins and a Kala travel tenor. The Kala was @$100 and is the perfect size for travel. It has a really rich sound. I like it better than my Martin soprano, which was twice the price!

As for trying something new, I'm practicing the cello again. Now that ski season is winding down, having time to practice is new. ;)

MissySki

Angel Diva
I went into Guitar Center yesterday just to get an idea of the sizing options and sounds. My first choice from online research was also there. I must say, though I was warned ahead of time that the service there would be horrible, I was not prepared for just how bad it really was. I was not approached and asked if I needed any help the entire time I was in the store, and it had to be very obvious that I needed guidance! I started taking ukuleles down off of the wall thinking someone would come over at some point, held them, compared them, strummed them. I looked around for someone to speak to once I'd had my fill of handling things by myself, and nothing. I think I could have run around yelling and dancing in that store and no one would have looked up lol. So I left without an instrument, which was kind of the plan, but I'm pretty certain I want the original one I was interested in, so I think a positive interaction would've had me pulling the trigger since it was there, instant gratification and all.. Think I'm going to order online at this point, I got a good recommendation of using Musician's Friend. It's kind of the principle of the matter now that I have no desire to give that store my money. Unfortunately my local music shop that I've interacted with for my guitar doesn't have much of anything for a selection of ukuleles because I'd prefer to support local and have a resource I could deal with in person down the road if needed, but owell. This made me never want to go in Guitar Center again, nevermind if I had an issue with something I bought!

captain_hug99

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a music teacher! I majored on clarinet, but my favorites are flute and trombone.

I'm a music teacher too! My major instrument was bassoon but play everything. I started my career teaching middle and high school band, now I'm an elementary general teacher. LOVE my job!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just ordered my Cordoba 15CM ukulele today from Musician's Friend, will be delivered sometime next week (3-5 business days).. I could have paid to have it shipped faster, but seemed pretty pointless when I am skiing this weekend and at a work conference next Monday and Tuesday, but I so want it now!! lol Now I'm searching for a case.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I've had my ukulele for a couple of weeks, and I'm practicing every night as much as I can. Fingers get sore/stiff, so I'm looking forward to them getting stronger so I can last longer. I still make it for an hour or so at a time when I can spare it, it's relaxing to do at night to wind down before bed, but I also ose track of time.. It can be painful and the stiffness in my left hand gets frustrating since it hinders chord changes when it starts happening. A friend gave me a tip that squeezing a tennis ball can help relieve this and strengthen the hand as well so I'm going to give this a shot.

I've started by doing some beginner YouTube instructional videos that have me working on a few chords and Bob Marley's 3 Little Birds. I'm enjoying it very much, and look forward to someday having more muscle memory for chords so I don't have to focus so intently on the changes, sometimes it starts to flow nicely for awhile, sometimes it doesn't.. Biggest challenge right now is keeping a rhythm while strumming, and having a hard time with a second strum that was recommended at the end of my current 3 Little Birds Lesson as something to move on to when the regular down, down , down, down strum gets boring. It has, and I really would like to incorporate another strum. The second strum is all down as well, but doubles up for the 4 count so it is actually 8 strums and every other strum is supposed to be louder than the one right before it.. I have a lot of trouble trying to get that going consistently..

So I guess my question is this.. I'm a perfectionist, which can be a major flaw and detractor when trying to learn new things. How long do I spend in this one spot before moving onto another lesson that introduces another couple of chords and encompasses the second more difficult strum pattern I outlined above for a new song? Should this first piece be perfect before I move on? Or do I accept that I can play it pretty well and then move on so I can have a couple of songs to practice but still make a little forward progress? I don't want to get myself stuck in a rut when there is so much to learn and the muscle memory and such takes time so I was thinking it best to keep adding bit by bit rather than staying set on one thing. Of course while coming back to the first song so that continuously improves as well.

For those of you with more experience, and especially those who teach, can you give me some insight on a good approach? It's quite hard to set a timeline and syllabus for yourself when you don't know what you don't know so any advice is greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna