• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIVA DOGS!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I gave Sookie her first two buttons today, “outside” and “play”. She was very intrigued when I was recording each button lol, it took a few times to get the sound and volume I wanted. When I put them down she immediately started pawing at the rubber tiles they are on and hitting the buttons over and over again very excitedly. She also wanted to chew on the tiles of course :nono:. So we’ll see how that goes, I think I got across that it wasn’t a toy for now haha. She is pressing the buttons every once in awhile and will kind of tilt her head like hmmm what’s that about?? I’ve been modeling “play” with that button and also hitting the outside button before we go out. She has a bell to go outside as well and I’m not going to take that away until she gets comfortable with the button and understands to use that instead.

Anyway, I think it’s a good sign that she’s been immediately very keen to interact with them. Some pets will completely ignore them or act fearful of them for awhile. Now we’ll see how she does with catching onto their purpose and that she can communicate with them. The bigger set of buttons I ordered is coming on Thursday, so looking forward to adding a few more to have extra opportunities to model things throughout each day with our usual activities beyond these two. We’ll probably stay at 5-6 words to start until she gets the gist of it and a good grasp of each. That seems to be the recommendation, you don’t want too few but you don’t want to add too many and overwhelm either.

FA7D3E99-26E1-4C92-B075-F55ECD767497.jpeg80CDA0AA-CAE7-482B-91ED-65DEABDCA378.jpeg

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bucky has a set of buttons! We started with Outside when he was 9 weeks old, and now he knows Play, Walk, Park, Puzzle, Water, Pool, Pets(like being pet), Mom, and Dad. I also recently added Concerned and Happy to his board. He takes Concerned to mean "I'm generally unhappy with this situation" not just anxiousness. He'll press it if I tell him we're all done with the pool for the day, for example. He doesn't understand Happy quite yet!

He used to use Park a lot, but a few weeks ago he got attacked by a loose dog in an area where leashes are definitely required, and he hasn't asked for Park since :(

Pool is probably his favorite right now. He melts if it's over 80 degrees.

I think we may be finally ready to start adding less exciting buttons, like All Done, Later, Now, or Yes/No. I tried adding Later and Now when he was young and he didn't get it. It was recommended to me to only use "fun" buttons for a young pup. He's 8 months and pretty mature for his age.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Bucky has a set of buttons! We started with Outside when he was 9 weeks old, and now he knows Play, Walk, Park, Puzzle, Water, Pool, Pets(like being pet), Mom, and Dad. I also recently added Concerned and Happy to his board. He takes Concerned to mean "I'm generally unhappy with this situation" not just anxiousness. He'll press it if I tell him we're all done with the pool for the day, for example. He doesn't understand Happy quite yet!

He used to use Park a lot, but a few weeks ago he got attacked by a loose dog in an area where leashes are definitely required, and he hasn't asked for Park since :(

Pool is probably his favorite right now. He melts if it's over 80 degrees.

I think we may be finally ready to start adding less exciting buttons, like All Done, Later, Now, or Yes/No. I tried adding Later and Now when he was young and he didn't get it. It was recommended to me to only use "fun" buttons for a young pup. He's 8 months and pretty mature for his age.
Yay, I'm so happy to hear from another Diva doing this! It's so cute that he can tell you he's concerned that pool time is over for the day. Sad about the park piece, but also kind of cool that he can let on that he's still uneasy with returning there right now. Excited to hear how it goes as you keep going and adding buttons!

MissySki

Angel Diva
So Wednesday and Thursday Sookie pretty much ignored the buttons completely! I was a bit disappointed since she seemed so interested in them when I first put them out Tuesday. I have been modeling with them as much as possible though, every time we went outside or would be playing. This morning I was doing something at the counter and suddenly I hear "play". This is the first time she went over herself and when I got all excited and asked if she wanted to play, she did! I played with her for a few minutes and then went back to what I'd been doing. Suddenly I hear multiple button pushes in quick succession of "play, play, play, play".. now I'm really excited because it certainly seems like something clicked for her and she's exploring/asking for something or at least attention seeking on her own. Played for a bit longer and then started getting her breakfast ready when I hear "outside". Okay, let's go outside! She was all eager to go and did in fact potty on our trip outside. This is the first time she used that button versus her bell that's still on the door, and actually seemed to know what it was for.

That's it so far, but I'm really excited and hope she keeps exploring it further now. My larger button kit came in last night so I'm going to add a few more today so we have more modeling/learning opportunities this weekend. I plan to add "food", "water", and "all done" I think. I figure the food will be exciting to her and she still eats 3 meals per day, so lots of opportunities to use it. I want to add all done at the same time to also be able to say no if she starts spamming the food button though. lol I already verbally say all done at the end of her meals, so hopefully that will come through easily. I don't want to add too many buttons too fast, but I feel like having only 2 buttons is so limiting currently.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I would never add a “food” button to Baxter’s repertoire — he would press it 24 hours a day!!

That's why you need the "all done" button as well! haha It is an experiment that could go poorly though! Christina Hunger added food/water really early on, but I am a little wary of it. I just think it's something that could be very motivating for her with the buttons which would be a good thing. I will not add a treat button anytime soon though or maybe ever, I think that would get spammed more often for Sookie. :rotf:

Jenny

Angel Diva
That's why you need the "all done" button as well! haha It is an experiment that could go poorly though! Christina Hunger added food/water really early on, but I am a little wary of it. I just think it's something that could be very motivating for her with the buttons which would be a good thing. I will not add a treat button anytime soon though or maybe ever, I think that would get spammed more often for Sookie. :rotf:
So she trains you to respond to all her buttons and you train her that the "All Done" button goes both ways, lol.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So today makes 1 week since I introduced Sookie’s first 2 buttons, and 4 days since I gave her 3 more for a total of 5. Play, food, water, outside, and all done.

After I added the additional 3 buttons and 2 hextiles on Friday it seemed to really slow her investigation of the buttons this weekend and I was worried I went too fast. Though she would occasionally play on them and sometimes it made sense, she didn’t go to them much unless I went there first. Yesterday she started pressing all of the buttons a bunch, but not in a sensical way most of the time. I was thinking that she was trying to see what was where though and see what happened when each was pushed which I thought was some progress at least. I was a bit concerned she didn’t know what each was for though and started modeling them as much as possible.

Well, suddenly this afternoon she is button happy! She has used outside like 10 times (and yes we’ve gone out every time lol). I really want to reinforce that one given her adjusting from ringing a bell, which she still has access to. And she legit wants to be outside, so definitely not a mistaken press. Then she has also used both play and food a bunch as well, and in seemingly the correct contexts like she’ll get a toy to bring me after pressing etc. So I’m quite excited that something seems to have clicked and she is going to her soundboard without any coaxing from me suddenly.. looks like I will be starting to model the “all done” button a bit now though Lol

Pic of current soundboard configuration.

21BFFAE9-4401-486C-B3F9-C8E691D28CB7.jpeg

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
So today makes 1 week since I introduced Sookie’s first 2 buttons, and 4 days since I gave her 3 more for a total of 5. Play, food, water, outside, and all done.

After I added the additional 3 buttons and 2 hextiles on Friday it seemed to really slow her investigation of the buttons this weekend and I was worried I went too fast. Though she would occasionally play on them and sometimes it made sense, she didn’t go to them much unless I went there first. Yesterday she started pressing all of the buttons a bunch, but not in a sensical way most of the time. I was thinking that she was trying to see what was where though and see what happened when each was pushed which I thought was some progress at least. I was a bit concerned she didn’t know what each was for though and started modeling them as much as possible.

Well, suddenly this afternoon she is button happy! She has used outside like 10 times (and yes we’ve gone out every time lol). I really want to reinforce that one given her adjusting from ringing a bell, which she still has access to. And she legit wants to be outside, so definitely not a mistaken press. Then she has also used both play and food a bunch as well, and in seemingly the correct contexts like she’ll get a toy to bring me after pressing etc. So I’m quite excited that something seems to have clicked and she is going to her soundboard without any coaxing from me suddenly.. looks like I will be starting to model the “all done” button a bit now though Lol

Pic of current soundboard configuration.

View attachment 18892
So cool!!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....She has used outside like 10 times (and yes we’ve gone out every time lol). I really want to reinforce that one given her adjusting from ringing a bell, which she still has access to. And she legit wants to be outside, so definitely not a mistaken press. Then she has also used both play and food a bunch as well, and in seemingly the correct contexts like she’ll get a toy to bring me after pressing etc. ....
I have a question. I've had dogs for much of my life, although right now I'm dogless :(

I trained my dogs to hold their pee until specific times, when dog walks were scheduled. There were enough routine dog walks each day so my dogs didn't suffer, as far as I could tell, and I was free to do my tasks without being interrupted by unexpected requests by doggie to go out. I don't think I'd want my dog to be able to push a button or ring a bell and expect me to respond immediately.

Thoughts?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We started Archie with bells for house breaking. Then he got a little carried away with the bells so we removed them. Now he’ll stand next to where the bells used to be to ask to go out. Much quieter, but we still know what he wants.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a question. I've had dogs for much of my life, although right now I'm dogless :(

I trained my dogs to hold their pee until specific times, when dog walks were scheduled. There were enough routine dog walks each day so my dogs didn't suffer, as far as I could tell, and I was free to do my tasks without being interrupted by unexpected requests by doggie to go out. I don't think I'd want my dog to be able to push a button or ring a bell and expect me to respond immediately.

Thoughts?

That's totally fine, everyone definitely figures out the best system for having their dog relieve themselves. Some people use bells, now some people use buttons, some people have a schedule their dog has to work with, some people hire dog walkers in the middle of the day, some people use potty pads or grass patches inside.. I'm sure there are more options too. My vet says her dogs stand by the door to indicate they need to go out and will whine if she doesn't notice soon enough.

My previous dog Zoey came to us pretty much box trained, and we stuck with that her whole life. I decided I wanted to train Sookie to go outside but also might add in some pad training later for the winter weekends in Maine as it will be a lot more difficult to go outside a bunch at the ski condo where we are on an upper level, and I'm betting she isn't going to love uber cold Maine winter at first haha.

Some points of clarity for our current situation:

1) Sookie is almost 7 months old and I'd say around 90% housebroken/potty trained, but I feel it's good to keep reinforcing because really you don't consider a dog fully potty trained until they haven't had an accident in several months and that isn't the case yet given her age and we haven't even had her 4 months yet.
2) She was most recently going out when I would bring her (I work from home) and maybe asking a couple of times outside of that. Usually she actually has to go to the bathroom and occasionally she just wants to go outside. And then..
3) She unexpectedly went into heat 2 DAYS before her spay appointment a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly she is peeing gosh I'd say double and somedays triple the amount she was before. This seems to be small marking pees outside to spread her scent from what I've read. Should go back to normal after her heat cycle. She will also be spayed in September now as the vet wants to wait 6-8 weeks from the end of her cycle. So this is driving a lot currently, though I think she's also super excited about the buttons too. I'm happy to go out and keep her marking out of the house, not that I'm sure if she'd be driven to do it inside or not biologically versus outside.

For anyone who wants to use buttons with their dogs, there is no set vocabulary to use. There are suggestions for what has worked easiest to start for others, but also that you should use what works for your situation and what is motivating to your dog as well. Some people have no food related buttons, and others eventually have a bunch to get more specific as to what sort of treat their dog wants at a given time. Some might not use an outside button because they choose not to and have another way to deal with that, or even because it makes no sense logistically based on where they live etc. Regardless of which buttons you choose to start with, it seems important that at the beginning you use words where you can try and respond to them as much as possible to reinforce the idea that they press a button and this great thing happens (without treats unless it's a food related button you are working on).. this helps further intrinsic desire by the animal to do it again and then learn more and more ways to communicate with you. Once they have the concept pretty well though you do want to then introduce parameters because no it is certainly not possible or desirable to constantly have buttons being spammed all day long. haha So I have an "all done" button that I am going to work with. When we get more advanced I plan to also follow others who are using time concepts with their animals. So "now" is now obviously, "soon" might mean not right now but within 30 mins we'll go do that thing you want, "later" might mean within a few hours this will happen, "tomorrow" etc. That's obviously a higher level more abstract concept to get accross and will take more time, but I've seen lots of dogs using these concepts in seemingly appropriate contexts.

This is definitely something to consider if you go along this path before starting. If you want to communicate with your dog (or another pet) in this way, you are somewhat choosing to leave behind the blissful ignorance of enforcing your convenience and routines on them and just assuming that they are completely content with that because they get to be with you and have no strong individual opinions of their own. Because you may end up finding that they actually aren't and just couldn't pipe up with their opinions, desires, and preferences before because there was no way to. Or they might be letting you know in ways you don't understand. I saw a discussion on this in my reading and it's quite interesting to think about ethically. Some people get really annoyed with the button spamming and take them away at times etc. Apparently some people will even do that to their human children who are learning to use AAC devices to speak. This was compared by a speech pathologist as if you are placing a piece of tape over the mouth of a speaking child to shut them up when they are learning to babble and speak or when they are being annoying or demanding in general. I think most people who have embarked on this journey, including myself, are doing it to form a deeper relationship and understanding of their pet as an individual. There are definitely pros and cons to this, but who hasn't wished they could know what their pet wanted at times or that they could tell them what was wrong when they are sick or in pain (this is especially interesting for potential uses in veterinary medicine) etc.? I know I have. But there is a lot to wrap ones head around with the can of worms being opened here.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on some of these things and the ethical pieces as well. I find it all so fascinating and look forward to following the ongoing research being done. I've also signed us up to participate in the phase 1 study gathering information on new learners and their progression to understand if there are differences in age, sex, breed, etc etc on how they pick this up. There are also later phase studies happening with all sorts of other things for those further along. I'm currently tracking the buttons Sookie presses and the context it happened in along with when I'm modeling the buttons in an app for this purpose and will be providing a more detailed update I have to fill out every two weeks as we go.

MissySki

Angel Diva
We started Archie with bells for house breaking. Then he got a little carried away with the bells so we removed them. Now he’ll stand next to where the bells used to be to ask to go out. Much quieter, but we still know what he wants.
With dogs who like to go out a ton you have to do training to differentiate the purpose of the bells being for bathroom breaks versus outside breaks, otherwise it just means that the door opens and they go outside. If you wanted to use them you would bring them out to a certain spot for potty and then wait a certain time without sniffing/walking around/playing/etc. Praise lots when they go as asked or go in when time is up if they do not. Then as they get it you don't have to be as strict with it because they'll learn that as the purpose.

With the buttons for example, we will eventually have a potty button (our cue for pee) and a poop button for that cue, along with the outside general button. That will then create the distinction to know if we are needing a pee/poop break or just want to go outside. But that's down the road for sure.

My vet said the same thing where her dogs stand by the door and she takes them out when she notices. They will whine if she doesn't notice right away. I've liked the bells because I can hear them from anywhere in the house and Sookie has not abused them in the past. Plus with potty training they can't always wait sitting there to be noticed before they have to go in younger pups. It's funny because I can tell when Sookie has to poop because she will ring the bell and ring again quite quickly if I'm too slow because she has to go. For pee she doesn't seem to have as much urgency for it and will ring and then stand at the door waiting quietly for me to put on shoes and get her leash.

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bonded quite closely with my dogs. We read each other's minds. My last dog talked to me in dog talk and I knew what his sounds meant. He was quite consistent. He understood my words too. I don't think I was coercing my dogs in an abusive way or disrespecting their needs by not doing the buttons & bells thing.

Do some owners really choose the spots where their dog pees and poops? The dog is not allowed to sniff and choose while going on a walk? Maybe I got that part wrong.

I think it's fascinating that dogs can learn meanings like "tomorrow" or "later" or "soon" and differentiate between these. Truly mind-blowing. Young children, even at 4 years old, can have difficulty with tomorrow and yesterday.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I bonded quite closely with my dogs. We read each other's minds. My last dog talked to me in dog talk and I knew what his sounds meant. He was quite consistent. He understood my words too. I don't think I was coercing my dogs in an abusive way or disrespecting their needs by not doing the buttons & bells thing.

Do some owners really choose the spots where their dog pees and poops? The dog is not allowed to sniff and choose while going on a walk? Maybe I got that part wrong.

I think it's fascinating that dogs can learn meanings like "tomorrow" or "later" or "soon" and differentiate between these. Truly mind-blowing. Young children, even at 4 years old, can have difficulty with tomorrow and yesterday.

Definitely didn't mean to imply anything about coercing or abusing by not using other modes of communication with a dog. Like I said, I had my previous dog for 14.5 years and we had our ways of communicating as well which did not include buttons or bells. Though I definitely wish I had been able to use buttons with her, but they didn't even exist for most of her life. I was more discussing the things to consider ahead of choosing to do something like buttons now though, because taking away the ability to communicate once it's there seems really harsh to me.. be it animal or humans who need electronic devices to do that.

Picking a spot to go to the bathroom is something that can be used during potty training, to provide the instruction of what should be happening at that time outside. It's a way to specify that ringing this bell doesn't mean outside free playtime for 30 mins, it means a quick potty trip versus the other times we will go out and play/take a walk/etc. Then you can phase that out once the pup understands the concept or is better at least at relieving themselves with a cue. It also can help with dogs who get overly distracted from their surroundings when you are in a rush. I haven't personally used this method myself as I like to allow Sookie to sniff all over whenever we go outside. Though our last trip out in the evening I do confine to a section of our yard that is lit up for safety purposes and if we are just doing a quick trip outside between work meetings we aren't roaming all over either.. it's go potty now or it's going to be an hour before we can come back! :smile:

I think the tomorrow and yesterday level is really only some high level dogs that I've seen their owners talking about this so far. But I've seen quite a few using the concepts of now/soon/later. Those are all definitely things the study with UCSD is trying to suss out, to determine if and to what level these dogs truly understand these concepts. I can't wait to hear updates on the research they're doing overall! Such an exciting time for sure.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
... I find it all so fascinating...
I do intend to have a dog again someday, when I am through traveling so much. I've been reading dog "psychology" books to get some perspectives and to generally bide the time until that time comes. So these training/bonding discussions here are really interesting for me. I realize each dog and person is different...

I'll admit I also wondered about potential abuse of the "outside" and "food" buttons. The long response was useful to put it into some context.

That all written - don't forget to throw in some pictures here and there! Also, does anyone have, or have experience with, whippets?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna