• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIVA DOGS!

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven’t camped with my pup yet, but while growing up our dogs always camped with the family.

As for nails and holes in the screen, you could try dog booties at night…like the type hikers can put on their dog to protect their paws from rough rocks above tree line.
He has a set of snow booties...that he absolutely hates haha

I'd have to do more desensitization training with him to make those work.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Pictures of dogs in snow booties are hiking boots are welcome - as well as the latest on Spencer, Lark, or the others! *sigh* I really want a dog...once I stop traveling so much...which means retirement...which means then I'll have time for 2!

No new good pictures of Spencer recently. He’s still in his satellite dish cone. I took this one of Baxter the other day though:

507508A6-CEC9-4E4C-9017-40E13A871FE4.jpeg

In about a week or two I will temporarily be adding a fourth dog to the pack. I’m long-term dog sitting the guy on the left while his dad has to be away for work travel:
7CE8926A-DD7C-47D1-BA45-CBF17613919F.jpeg

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
No new good pictures of Spencer recently. He’s still in his satellite dish cone. I took this one of Baxter the other day though

In about a week or two I will temporarily be adding a fourth dog to the pack. I’m long-term dog sitting the guy on the left while his dad has to be away for work travel:
Wow, with all of that terrain around, why not add a 4th indeed???!!! Good idea to have the high viz vests on them out there, I can imagine. Thanks for the pics!

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
How many of you camp with your dogs?

We camped in the backyard with our pup last night to get him used to the tent. He did great and slept through the night! But he also poked a bunch of holes in the mesh door! I'm going to get his nails dremeled before our for-real camping trip, and also position him more in the center of the tent to prevent this from happening again. He likes to lay on his back and stretch his legs out all over when he sleeps!

I was also considering nail caps, but have seen really mixed reviews on these. A lot of folks complain about them not lasting long, but I really would only need them on for a weekend camping trip, so maybe it would be okay?
Yes when we are allowed to. I love it. So do they. Some horse competitions/training clinics here in Australia where you camp overnight/weekend you are allowed to take them.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought these treats from my vet for joint support. Was advised to get fish oil Omega3 supplement also for my senior pooch.

Attachments

• F2F02170-E733-4295-9A4E-60178384ABFB.jpeg
    F2F02170-E733-4295-9A4E-60178384ABFB.jpeg
    531.3 KB · Views: 5
  • C69CB340-3558-4F12-9A48-57733BA9F99D.jpeg
    C69CB340-3558-4F12-9A48-57733BA9F99D.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 5

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I bought these treats from my vet for joint support. Was advised to get fish oil Omega3 supplement also for my senior pooch.
I give these to my pups daily and definitely noticed reduced soreness in my eldest dog after we started him on this regimen.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’ve recently become aware that there are many dogs, and some cats, learning to communicate with buttons. The buttons each have a recorded word on them that the animal presses to “speak”. Some have gotten to the point of stringing several words into short sentences and seem to have some understanding of more abstract concepts like time and feelings. It seems to be something that’s exploded the last couple of years during the pandemic, and there are tons and tons of Instagram and Youtube accounts to waste time watching.. ask me how I know.. lol. Anyway, I’m curious if any Divas have been working on this sort of thing with your animals.

Many of you might know that earlier this year I lost my beloved 14.5 year old Pug. I was completely devastated and still miss my best friend very very much. We did decide pretty soon after that the house was much too empty and quiet without Zoey, and we adopted a little Pug mix puppy named Sookie (any True Blood fans here?). She certainly doesn’t replace my Zoey (in fact they are incredibly different), but she’s been really good for helping heal my heart some and is a great distraction. Especially working from home, I have a lot of time to work on training which I’m really enjoying. She’s really smart and there are so many awesome training resources out there nowadays. Now that I’ve found these “speaking” dogs, I of course have to try it to see if Sookie can take to the concept and we have some buttons coming in soon. Would love to hear from others if you are doing the same.

Here’s our newest addition and I when we visited a local brewery several weeks ago:D936A969-D36E-4315-ADE8-61EA08961FCF.jpeg

Here’s an example of one of the first “talking” dogs named Bunny that’s really popular on social media.. in case you have no idea what I’m talking about. The account name is “What about Bunny”. I have many more I could share too if anyone is interested. :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I love the dog talking button videos! I have not tried it with my two dogs. I think they are both pretty smart so could probably learn? I will be interested to hear how it goes with Sookie!

I will definitely keep posted as we go once we start, which I plan to do in the next couple of days! I had ordered a starter kit from FluentPet with two buttons that arrived today, and I have a larger set coming that was supposed to take a little longer. I’m currently reading “How Stella Learned to Talk” by Christina Hunger. She’s the speech therapist who started the whole buttons approach with her dog. Around a third through and it is really an inspiring read. Very interesting to hear how she came about the idea by seeing similarities in non verbal communication development milestones in her puppy and how it compares with young children before they start speaking. Also like that she outlined the early non-progression as it took her puppy several weeks to ever start noticing the first buttons at all. I’ve read a bunch of things from a few days to a few months for others’ dogs to take to it, and how some are more receptive in general even in multi-dog homes doing this. It’s good to have an outlook of staying patient in the beginning when nothing might happen for awhile, and to know that doesn’t mean failure given how many are successfully doing this now. It also kind of sounds like when I trained Sookie to signal she needs to go outside using a bell. It took around two weeks for her to catch on, but once she had it that was it. Here’s hoping she likes the buttons too because it seems like such a fun journey to take with your pet!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna