• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIVA DOGS!

Ya' know....all of this talk about dogs made me think we ought to have a thread where we can post our "Diva Dogs" pics. So, I'll start:

KADIE!
Born: March 17, 2002
I First Met Her: In 2002 on the Internet, and then in person in Ohio 8 weeks later on Mother’s Day!
She is a Native of: Ohio...but considers herself a Colorado Native by now!
Her Favorite Hobby: Playing, learning new tricks, eating, chasing squirrels, lying on the lounge chairs!
She Absolutely LOVES: Bully Sticks, Frosty Paws, Her “Gammy & Gampy” and her Mom.
Profession: Healer, Happiness Maker!
My Favorite Thing to Do With Her: Just about anything...but I really love to be greeted by her when I come home from work! I also like our walks together where she gets to explore ANYTHING!!!!
My Favorite Memory: SO many, but I loved showing her her first Sunset over the Rocky Mountains from the window of the Airplane as we began to land in Denver from Ohio! Kadie was 8 weeks old!
What we have in common: We both have brown eyes and need frequent haircuts...and we can both be very demanding! We’re also both very sensitive
How we Differ the Most: Kadie has a tail and 4 paws....I don’t! :becky:

pagespread-025_std_2.jpg

So....any other Diva Dogs out there? :eyebrows:

Reactions: RJ*

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bring on the dogs!

Benson

Born: October 1999
I First Met Him: My daughter brought him home from school. A teacher ( of all people) brought in the litter to give away!
He is a Native of: Colorado
His Favorite Hobby: Anything that has to do with me!
He Absolutely LOVES: 'Nawsomes, rawhide chews, ice cream
Profession: Best friend
My Favorite Thing to Do With Him: Hiking, walking, camping, snowshoeing, watching TV, playing ball.
My Favorite Memory: Any of our hikes. I love hiking with Benson.
What we have in common: Love of the outdoors and being together.
How we Differ the Most:He is more stubborn than I am!

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ganja
Born: September 27, 1997
I First Met Her: In 1997. She was so malnourished! Tiny, tiny dog with huge paws and ears. She ate a ten pound bag of food in one sitting, rolled over with the whole bag of food very visible in her stomach, got scratched and enjoyed the love.
She is a Native of: Chicago. Before coming into my family, she was living in a little box with a homeless man.
Her Favorite Hobby: Squirell chasing, coming along on hikes, getting her ball stuck under the living room futon.
She Absolutely LOVES: Raquetballs. Being an off leash dog in a city where they are rare and all know each other. The lake. Camping. The fam and the whole community. It took a village to raise Ganj, as my brother and I got her shortly before a period in which neither of us had stable homes of our own for a bit. She stayed with a lot of people (ie "can my dog live in your house for a little bit? I'll buy her food and walk her and..." and always excitedly ran back to us.
Profession: Social worker, personal trainer, godmother to my cat, weekend warrior.
My Favorite Thing to Do With Her: Most everything. Take her to Dog Day at Comiskey to watch the Sox. Take her when I play soccer. Climb around the rocks at The Point. Stretch out in the grass together. Grill (she loves a good barbecue).
My Favorite Memory: Like NVG, so so many. She's been around for so much in our lives. Now she's a confident, well behaved, energetic but very laid back dog. When we just got her she had all that energy, but it was coupled with separation anxiety and before joining our family she had no training. Back then, she was nuts, like the puppy version a very bright teenager with tons of emotional scarring who didn't know what to do with their energy. One time I'd tied her in front of the grocery store to make a quick run for one item. I grabbed my stuff and got straight in line, knowing her separation anxiety would make it hard for her to wait outside. As I'm wishing the line would move faster, an announcement comes on, saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, there is a brown dog inside the store. Do not panic. If this is your dog, please come to member services immediately." Somehow, she'd gone into overdrive and chewed through the leash (in less than five minutes!) and bounded into the store looking for me.
What we have in common: Her fur color is in the same range as my family's skin color, which is kinda humorous. We also share a similar temperament, super laid back without laziness, and happy to get off our butts and move.
How we Differ the Most: We have quite feelings about public urination.

I'll edit to add pics.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Little Becky Boo

Born: August 2002
I First Met Her: Shhhh... in a pet store. :oops:
She is a Native of: She now considers herself a Connecticut pup
Her Favorite Hobby: barking at the other tenants, chasing squirrels, cleaning up the kids' discarded food, hiking
She Absolutely LOVES: just about anything... though rawhide is especially prized
Profession: companion
My Favorite Thing to Do With Her: hike, hang out on the couch and snuggle
My Favorite Memory: how good of a companion she was when I miscarried
What we have in common: we like to sleep in late (though I never get to anymore)
How we Differ the Most: we seem to have different ideas on how often (and intensely) I need to be notified of visitors to the house (especially when they're not our visitors)

pouch2.sized.jpg

(Picture was pre-baby... I was actually pregnant and testing out a pouch with her.)

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Minnie
Born: Unknown ~ 2001/2002
I First Met Her: In December 2006 via PetsMart driveby.
She is a Native of: The rescue org. I got her from said she was found in West Valley City (ick!) but now she's a Draper-ite like me.
Her Favorite Hobby: Sleeping, stealing dog toys/chews from much bigger dogs, playing tag with Charlie and Bella and sneezing.
She Absolutely LOVES: French fries, small birds and her blankie.
Profession: Best friend and Comedian
My Favorite Thing to Do With Her: Hang out, play tug of war with her teeny rope, say "gesundheit" when she's having spastic sneezes that launch her into the air .....
My Favorite Memory: She's kind of a klutz because she only has one eye that works, so she misjudges distances a lot. One day she decided to make a giant leap from my lovesac to the couch. Lets just say she missed the couch portion and did a "bug-on-the-windshield" into the couch arm. I couldn't stop laughing ....
What we have in common: We both like to sleep, but she gets a lot more of it than I do. We both have klutzy tendencies. Her sneezes are too big for her body, and mine are too, and we both snore!
How we Differ the Most: She's really quiet, and I'm really loud!

August2007008-1.jpg

altagirl

Staff member
Moose
Born: September 2001
I First Met Him: In November 2001 when I picked him out of the litter.
He is a Native of: Ogden, UT
His Favorite Hobby: Running!
He Absolutely LOVES: Frisbees, balls, people, dogs, and our cat
Profession: Running fool!
My Favorite Thing to Do With Him: XC skiing and mountain biking
My Favorite Memory: Down in Moab, he had run down to the creek in Negro Bill Canyon and I called him to come back up to the trail. There was about a 15-20' wall of near vertical slickrock and he launched it, got most of the way up to where it curves and was stuck there like a cat on a screen door. He gradually slid back down and into the water, leaving a big wet dog-print on the slickrock. Too funny!
What we have in common: Unfortunately, I think he's developing some crepitus in his knee so one of these days we're going to be knee gimps together.
How we Differ the Most: He's a cardio MACHINE. We XC skied for 4 hours recently - I was dead tired and he hand been sprinting around me the whole time and was still full of energy.

pbpic1812127.jpg

Speaking of which.... last vet visit he said he could hear some crunchiness in one of his knees - basically sounds like the beginning of some arthritis. I can relate with my 5 knee surgeries... But the vet said "It's best if you take him swimming or walking and don't let him run. That's easier on knees. But you need to exercise him a lot, so just walk him until he gets tired." :eek: :eek: :eek: He RAN nonstop for 4 hours and still wasn't tired and you want me to tire him out walking??? :eek: :eek: :eek: I don't know. Am I a bad owner for letting him run so much? I mean he sets the pace and gets faster and faster after 6 miles or so... It seems like his biggest joy in life - and I know when I'm done skiing or biking and I'm sore afterwards - it's totally worth it to me. Don't you think it's the same for a dog? Or am I projecting my personal weirdness onto my dog?

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Stella

Born: November 2006
I First Met Her: at the breeder's house
SHe is a Native of: Massachusetts (born) & CT
Her Favorite Hobby: Mountain biking, camping, anything involving tennis balls & a chuck-it
SHe Absolutely LOVES: "Dog parties" which occure twice daily, during the week. Essentially a doggy recess.
Profession: Aspen Skiing Company office dog
My Favorite Thing to Do With Her: Hiking, camping, cuddling, mountain biking, playing fetch
My Favorite Memory: our first trip to Crested Butte for mountain biking. We did a 17 mile loop & she didn't even flinch - wanted to play frisbee when we got back to our campsite.
What we have in common: Everything! She's my right-hand girl!
How we Differ the Most: I tend not to jump on people.

n711391869_165809_2130.jpg

Here's a pic of her right near our campsite in Crested Butte (Kebler Pass):
n711391869_165824_7169.jpg

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altagirl, I can relate. Ganj has the beginnings of some arthritis as well. Stairs bother her. She's a super active dog, loves running all over the place, critter chasing, and just running for the fun of it. Last year she blew out her acl and tore her meniscus. After surgery the vet said not to let her run, and to keep her on a leash. You should've seen the way she looked at me when I put a leash on her and took her for a walk. She just looked at me like "you've got to be f*cking kidding me". I made her slow down for a bit after surgery as she recovered, but I couldn't do that to her in general.

I'd say let him run, but pay close attention. If you see that he's in pain and he's just trying to ignore it, slow him down, give him breaks. Find balance for him the same way you have to find balance and pace yourself when you're pushing your body beyond conservative doctors orders.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Doggie glucosamine! It has helped Benson a lot w/ stiffness soreness.

In fact, we BOTH take our glucosamine for our knees twice a day!:dance:

altagirl

Staff member
Altagirl, I can relate. Ganj has the beginnings of some arthritis as well. Stairs bother her. She's a super active dog, loves running all over the place, critter chasing, and just running for the fun of it. Last year she blew out her acl and tore her meniscus. After surgery the vet said not to let her run, and to keep her on a leash. You should've seen the way she looked at me when I put a leash on her and took her for a walk. She just looked at me like "you've got to be f*cking kidding me". I made her slow down for a bit after surgery as she recovered, but I couldn't do that to her in general.

I'd say let him run, but pay close attention. If you see that he's in pain and he's just trying to ignore it, slow him down, give him breaks. Find balance for him the same way you have to find balance and pace yourself when you're pushing your body beyond conservative doctors orders.

Thanks! I've noticed he's developed a little more "common sense" with age. He's at least quit jumping off of big 6'+ rock piles to flat. ;) And I definitely try to let him set the pace and take some mandatory rest breaks for water and food. The only symptoms he has so far is that the day after a big run he looks stiff when he gets up after sleeping. And he seems fine once he stretches. That's what happens when you get older though! ;)

I'm with you. I think running is his life's joy. I can't take it away from him. Someday I'm sure he'll be too old to do it anymore and will just have to get his kicks from being petted by the neighborhood kids as he naps in the sun on the front lawn, but until that happens, I want him to have all the fun he possibly can out on the trails! :love:

Edit: And I just started with the doggie glucosamine too. We both take it now. ;)

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just missed the editing deadline, oh well.

Here she is celebrating my niece's 4th birthday:
l_69f3782f355522056a00e8dd1728a2c1.jpg

Here she is when I dropped her off for her acl reconstruction:
l_498cb8227c1183d7ec5389ab947d8c06.jpg

And when I picked her up:
l_c5a12a4dd41645c1c5bbbfd90ce86e46.jpg

On the note of joint pain, we were thinking to give this stuff a go. Ran the ingredients by a vet, said there should be no harm. Anyone ever try it? Also, Costco sells liquid glucosamine.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
She was wonderful

Sandy 1979-1990
Adopted by us at 8 months of age, a disgraced, failed guard dog
Type: ?
Her proudest moment: Becoming a mother (see photo)
Her best trick: Ace frisbee catcher
Liked skiing? YES. Ran beneath entire length of chairlift at Devils Head once. Tried to board chair at first. Lifty said no.

Died of cancer. 8 year old boy and his parents grieved hard.

47b5da09b3127cce9134859d067e00000026108EcOWblm0Zw
47b4dc34b3127cce9f503ed32f0800000016108EcOWblm0Zw

Christy

Angel Diva
Born: 1996
I First Met Him: In August 2001 when I met my now-husband
He is a Native of: Probably Seattle, WA, but who knows, since he came from a shelter
His Favorite Hobby: Hiking, backpacking, city walks, playing ball in the alley, breaking into our freezer and eating all our food (Seriously. There's nothing left).
He Absolutely LOVES: His squeaky ball.
My Favorite Thing to Do With Him: My neighborhood errands (on foot)--we have a very dog friendly 'hood and he's allowed in the hardware store, video store, pet food store, on patios of bars, etc.
My Favorite Memory: Going to my now-husband's house for the first time to meet "the best dog in the world" and seeing Rob tackle Linus and pin him to the floor to keep the dog from jumping all over me (he's better now)
How we differ the most: He is much more hyper

2250200699_a67cc5e95c.jpg

2250202923_8beb6e0771.jpg

2330777351_1f1463b4fe.jpg

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Best Friend "Kira"

Born: November 20, 1993
Type: Siberian Husky
I First Met Her: In Lake Placid, NY on Mirror Lake. Dog sled guy had a team doing sled rides on Mirror Lake and had a box 'o' pups for sale. She was the only one with one brown eye and one blue eye. I picked her up and she climbed into my ski jacket and stuck her little face out over my shoulder.
She [was] a Native of: New York State
Her Favorite Hobby: Going anywhere with me, especially on trail hikes and swims.
She Absolutely LOVED: Ham, steak, vanilla ice cream
Profession: runner, chaser
My Favorite Thing to Do With Her was: Hiking, walking, playing in the snow, BBQs, being outside.
My Favorite Memory: There are so many... once after swimming she shook all over a guy sitting at the edge of the lake; when she stole a bag of potato chips from a fisherman; when she protected me from another dog; how she liked little kids (who always shared their sandwich or cookie); when she ran home after a dog fight and I found her on my front step; when we were lost in the woods and she found the trail; when at only 6 months, she came to me and looked up with loving eyes when I was upset about something.
What we had in common: Love of the outdoors and being together; each other.
How we Differed the Most: While curled up in the snow, she could cover her nose with her tail. I had to wear a hat. : )

(picture to come)

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Storm
Born: June 20, 2004
I First Met Her: In September 2004 - my county does not have a dog shelter so all dogs stay at the dog catcher unless they can be fostered until adoption. I signed on to foster her for 3 days. I didn't send her back! How could I? She spent the first 10 weeks of her life in a chicken coop and the next two in a tiny cage.
She is a Native of: New Brunswick...but like her mommy is international and considers mid-coast Maine and the Western Mountains of Maine home now too!
Her Favorite Hobby: Charging around the yard in mad circles and flipping toys over her back; swimming; chasing skiers at Sunday River (that's quite a story!); going for drives; and sleeping on the sofa or dad's side of the bed!
She Absolutely LOVES: Cheese, toast, and popcorn!
Profession: Best pal, therapist, foot warmer!
My Favorite Thing to Do With Her: Just about anything...X-C skiing and mountain biking are really fun with her. She is the best running partner - we do 10km and then she's ready to play! She's great for running errands - like Christy, my town is uber-dog friendly (Storm has even figured out which merchants have treats behind the counter!) My favourite though is our cuddle time - every morning when I wake up she scooches up on the bed and lays full-length beside me, puts her head on my shoulder and snuggles.
My Favorite Memory: My neighbours feed wild rabbits and one was quilled by a porcupine. It was very ill and lethargic. Storm picked it up - I though for sure she was going to kill it. She didn't. She picked it up like a mother does her pups and then started to clean the rabbit and tried to nurse her. My angel on earth.
What we have in common: We both love cheese. It's our favourite food. We both love the outdoors and are happiest when we can breathe fresh air.
How we Differ the Most: I'm a big fan of having my hair and nails done - Storm hates baths and really loathes nail clippers! I also tend to only lick people I know really well :becky:

view_photo.php

view_photo.php

view_photo.php

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
AQ--bummer, I can't see your pix of Storm.

I love these posts about the Diva Dogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly