• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIVA DOGS!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I have owned one beloved dog in my lifetime, from 1990 until 2000 when we had to put here down as her back legs stopped working. We tried glucosamine, then chiropractor help, then acupuncture. Each intervention worked, for awhile. Once she passed (which was heartbreaking), I couldn't find the space in my life for another dog due to having so many children and working so much. But all that has changed and this summer I am getting a puppy! At least that's the plan. Life has so many unknowns right now, that all of my plans are just that, plans. I'm getting very good at "pivoting" but hope this plan remains solid. I am ready for a dog companion again. I love dogs.
What sort of dog are you getting??

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Oh wow, thanks ladies. Have to admit I'm a massive sceptic when it comes to things like acupuncture but if people have seen results I'm willing to give it a red hot crack to help him out. I'll have a look at the dasuquin and see if it's the same stuff that I give him in liquid form - there was the option of a chew.

It's hard seeing a dog grow old; when they die they just take a chunk of your heart with them.
I have also read a LOT about CBDs (in doggie dosages) for dogs with arthritis and other types of pain -- it seems to work extremely well, and doesn't have the concerns of liver damage that the cosequin/dasuquin-type meds have.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have owned one beloved dog in my lifetime, from 1990 until 2000 when we had to put here down as her back legs stopped working. We tried glucosamine, then chiropractor help, then acupuncture. Each intervention worked, for awhile. Once she passed (which was heartbreaking), I couldn't find the space in my life for another dog due to having so many children and working so much. But all that has changed and this summer I am getting a puppy! At least that's the plan. Life has so many unknowns right now, that all of my plans are just that, plans. I'm getting very good at "pivoting" but hope this plan remains solid. I am ready for a dog companion again. I love dogs.
I honestly think a house becomes a home when it has an animal in it. The amount of unconditional love you get is just so wonderful. Love to see what little lovely you end up adopting!

altagirl

Staff member
Our older dog, Ginger is 12 now and is remarkably still like her younger self except that she's almost completely deaf now. Which just makes her stare at us awkwardly a lot.... waiting for something to happen. But she still runs and jumps and acts nearly as fit as when she was in her prime - and she's a frisbee dog by nature - we always worried that her acrobatics would lead to arthritis, but honestly if you make it to 12 without issues as a 45lb dog, she's aged incredibly well. We don't do much frisbee anymore - mostly because she will still leap 6' in the air and I'm just too nervous that she's going to hurt herself. But she'll jump into DH's lifted truck and things like that without hesitation. She has some minor arthritis, and I've tried CBD when it has flared up a bit and it does seem to help, but lately she hasn't been getting anything and is her normal quite active and athletic self without any hints of limping or being slow to get up/lay down, so I figure I'll give her meds when I see any sign at all that she needs them.

I honestly think a house becomes a home when it has an animal in it. The amount of unconditional love you get is just so wonderful. Love to see what little lovely you end up adopting!
I will be adopting a Cobberdog female 8 week old pup. Cobberdogs are a breed originating in Australia in the 1980s, it's a labradoodle bred for temperament, non-shedding, hypoallergenic dogs who make excellent therapy dogs. I never thought I would buy a dog from a breeder, but at this stage in life, it may be the only puppy I take in and I want a certain type of dog. There is a local breeder (there are 3 in Massachusetts) so I've known these dogs for over a decade and have wanted one forever. When she's a little older, I plan to train her as a visitation therapy dog for community work (senior homes, hospitals, etc.). "Cobber" is an Australian slang word for "friend" as they are great companion dogs. I spend a huge amount of time alone so I am super looking forward to the companionship and unconditional love.

Hi, I have a dog-related question. I see a lot of folks who put coats on their dogs in winter. I have some ideas why, but would love to hear from you dog owners if you do and if so, what types of coats you get them and when you decide they are needed.

newboots

Angel Diva
Disclaimer: this sort of has nothing to do with your question @ski now work later

I had friends who argued about putting clothing on their Chihuahua. Martha, who had worked at the humane society, claimed it was cruel. Beth, who had purchased many outfits, had other ideas. As a Chi owner, they consulted me.

There was almost no weather when Sprocket didn't like to have a jacket on. Perhaps because he associated it with going for a walk. Perhaps because he loved the attention, no matter what for. He would wriggle with excitement and make it hard to get the clothes on. Now mind you, Sprocket didn't have any tutus or other whimsical outfits that one often sees on little dogs. Just practical sweaters, jackets, and some heavier fleece for real winter.

Like @Lmk92 I could tell if he needed one by the shivering. But that also indicated fear, excitement, or just a passing thought.

(P.S. I think short-haired dogs might need their jackets, even big ones like pit bulls and Dalmatians.)

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 3.08.51 PM.png

Lark has both a very short coat and basically 0% body fat, and does get shivery when it's cold out. She still gets shivery if we're out for a few hours in the cold with the jacket, but it keeps her core warmer for sure (you can feel how warm it stays if you put your hand under the jacket), and so I figure it's got to keep her feet warmer as a result. In addition to the shivering, you can get a sense of how cold she is by how amped she gets... if she's too cold she really starts zooming around like a lunatic (more than normal lolol) to try to warm up. I start putting the coat on her around the low 30s / 20s depending on how sunny & windy out it is.

A bonus of the coat is it looks very cute, obviously.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I have my little guys with short hair wear coats when they’re at camp, which usually involves a two hour off leash hike. I also put musher’s wax on their feet, but when it’s really cold (15 degrees or less) my camp provider asks me to put little dog booties on the pug, who definitely struggles in the cold. I also have the golden retriever wear dog booties at camp because ice chunks build up on his paws otherwise.

F7267606-13F3-4615-8FB7-D0B298DEF055.jpeg

Dr Pugs calls these his ruby red slippers.

altagirl

Staff member
Hi, I have a dog-related question. I see a lot of folks who put coats on their dogs in winter. I have some ideas why, but would love to hear from you dog owners if you do and if so, what types of coats you get them and when you decide they are needed.
I do - my dogs have very different types of fur. Back when we had our lab... he was fine in the cold and obviously all about water, even if it was freezing.. Then Ginger, who is a 45lb furry shepherd something frisbee dog.... adores the cold and will sleep in a snowbank, but gets super cold when wet. She won't touch water unless it's over 80 degrees out. She just gets wrapped in towels and dried fast if she gets wet or she acts like she might die of hypothermia.

Waffles? She's a smooth coated Jack Russell with almost no hair on her underside at all. She is shivering if it's less than 70 degrees. (And our thermostat is at 62 so she spends most of her time under blankets in the winter). Obviously while exercising she stays warmer but.... if its about 45 or below she gets a coat. If I take her out in too wet/cold without anything she promptly turns around and tries to go back home. With a jacket shes up for long walks. If it's extra cold she gets the shoes too. I follow the same guidelines... if she tries to bail on the walk and go back home after the first sniff stop.... She's underdressed.

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
Humans have tinkered with dogs an awful lot, and we aren't breeding then to stay warm in winter themselves, so I too am pro coat. It's especially important for old dogs; like older humans, they have a harder time regulating body temperature. Raincoats are nice just to avoid having a wet dog inside after a walk.

And they are so handsome in a coat!

20220101_125433-02-01.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly