• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIVA DOGS!

newboots

Angel Diva
That huge one is just too difficult for him to maneuver in, and he freaks himself out running into things.

So. The growths turned out to be tumors. They were bigger than the vet expected - as big on the inside of his tail as they were outside. They're out for biopsy. I'm choosing not to think about the future right now.

He is too adorable for words, wearing his collars. Warm, hopeful thoughts to you and Loki.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck, @bounceswoosh! My dog had a similar surgery. Toby's was simpler ... the tumor was over just a skosh so the surgeon could get the margins she needed without infringing on any critical areas.

Hope Loki is doing well. It's amazing how resilient these guys are.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Loki update:

My husband noticed this afternoon that Loki was bleeding a bit from one of the stitched areas. He took a close up photo of Loki's butt and texted it to our vet's cell phone, as per standing instructions (love our vet. she must have quite the photo roll). He needs to come in for a visit Monday, and will almost certainly need antibiotics as the bleeding is *right* where it will almost certainly contact fecal matter.

Husband asked if I had been watching him the whole time. Welllllll ... no, not exactly. I'd been running around the house, and I'd actually let Loki wander in and out of the yard. He seemed so happy to be outside. And he had the shorter cone on, because he basically can't maneuver with the big one, so we have to trap him in the bedroom when he's in it. And Loki - he's barely even tried to go after his butt since the surgery, and scooted only once. So I thought ...

Well. Maybe he scooted or chewed, maybe he didn't. I don't think he chewed - no tell-tale wet or disturbed fur. I don't really even think he scooted. But maybe he did, and certainly I should have been paying better attention. Antibiotics aren't great - they could give him the runs, and then we'll need to be very careful about cleaning him up, and she hadn't wanted that because she was concerned that moistening the area would allow bacteria to get in.

Ughhh.

And I won't even know the biopsy results for another week and a half!

newboots

Angel Diva
Ohhh, poor Loki. Maybe she can use a topical antibiotic? I hope Loki’s bleeding stops by tomorrow.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ohhh, poor Loki. Maybe she can use a topical antibiotic? I hope Loki’s bleeding stops by tomorrow.

I think the concern is that there has now been a breach in the skin barrier, so regardless of whether he's actively bleeding, he's been put at risk.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks.
The deed is done, Beamish had his surgery yesterday, and seems to be doing fine today. I think the hardest part for him might be the cone. Is there anything more pathetic than a doped up one-eyed dog trying to navigate doorways with the cone of shame?
Poor old boy.
Last night I moved the coffee table and put his bed next to the sofa and had a "sleepover" in case he woke up all confused. We had to carry him in from the car, and at bedtime his back legs still weren't fully cooperating. I will probably give him another gabapentin after his walk in a minute. I'm trying to find the balance between keeping him doped up enough, but not so dopey that being disoriented makes him uncomfortable. Too dopey seems to make him sad and confused.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, that's the big disadvantage for medicating our pets' pain and anxiety. Luckily, my Chihuahua cries in pain even when it's not truly severe (trust me on this*), and is thrilled to sleep all the time. Makes giving the meds much easier.

Beamish, rest a lot! It will all be better very soon!

*I took him to the vet once, and began to explain I had stepped on his leg. She interrupted, "And you felt like an ax murderer, right?" She has 3 or 4 Chihuahuas herself, and announced that they are all drama queens. (He cried for 2 or 3 minutes after I picked him up and tried to soothe him. It was dreadful.)

She chided him, called him "pumpkin butt" (reason unknown), and announced he was fine. He favored that leg for about a year afterwards. Especially if their was slush on the ground. Unless there was a treat in the offing.

TracyMcP

Certified Ski Diva
My Diva Dog. Cooper. Lives in Breckenridge most of the time. He’s a Corgi, 6 1/2 year’s old, born in Longmont.
He has an awesome sense of humor, loves the snow and is the best little buddy I’ve ever had. 7565809F-848B-40C9-8E5F-AB4AB774400D.jpeg

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
4066A908-6064-4849-9FBE-34F65E7338A0.jpeg This thread was just made for me! Woo!

On the right is Baxter, my number one pug love. His brindle coloring is an endless source of debate between my husband and me because it’s just one sign to me that he might be a super pug (aka not actually pure bred.) He’s almost four years old and has a perpetual toddler’s personality.

On the left is Pippin, the sweetest smartest darn dog who ever lived. I think he’s a lab/whippet mix... aka whipador!!! He’s fast and has a double suspension gallop like a greyhound but also is 100% solid muscle. He’s very snuggly and lazy but he’s a veritable mountain goat when we go hiking with him. My dream is to take him skinning or splitboarding with me sometime but I’m still working on his recall.

newboots

Angel Diva
They both look so serious! Especially Baxter. Actually, Baxter looks annoyed that you're taking his picture.

My daughter has a dog that we sometimes think is lab/whippet mix. There's certainly lab, and she has that barrel chest/tiny tummy curve, and she's so fast. She's a bit odd in the head, though. I'll have to find a picture.

62A56AF0-4789-45CD-9ABF-795294EDFCF4.jpeg
A777B10B-4D34-4DA3-9228-D387F41CCDE3.jpeg
Bella, my grand-doggie

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
They both look so serious! Especially Baxter. Actually, Baxter looks annoyed that you're taking his picture.

My daughter has a dog that we sometimes think is lab/whippet mix. There's certainly lab, and she has that barrel chest/tiny tummy curve, and she's so fast. She's a bit odd in the head, though. I'll have to find a picture.

View attachment 8730
View attachment 8731
Bella, my grand-doggie
8368E0A7-7509-4FD3-9F7A-A0011D5B78FB.jpeg

Hehe. They’re just funny little dudes. I have thousands of pictures of them.

Bella looks real pretty. I’m on this fantastic Facebook group that is just for whipador owners and there’s an amazing diversity of dogs on display there, but they all seem to have very similar characteristics and overlapping mannerisms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna