• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dirtcheap budget guide for those who feel like the sport is financially inaccessible

tallKat

Diva in Training
Disagree about used boots.
the absolutely best thing that someone can do it to invest in a good pair of boots -- but when I was starting out if I would have waited and saved money for new boots by the time i got enough money the season would have been over. decent used boots with footbeds will get someone in the game -- till that they know if they even like the sport - or can save for something much better. -- Its all about accessibility.

Simygirl

Certified Ski Diva
I rented at first and the first thing I bought after I committed were boots - end of season sale. Got my skies in the summer. And since I was just started, did not get anything too expensive. Just middle of the road equipment. I am not sure I can tell the difference between best brands of skies, but I think the boots make a great difference.

LillyOR

Diva in Training
the absolutely best thing that someone can do it to invest in a good pair of boots
Exactly. And not only ski boots, but general shoes also.
For me is ok to buy used gear, but not the boots. I would invest in them anyway. But on the other side sometimes there is full sets on the craigslist with your boots size for cheap, or your friends/relatives can gift you old gear. And that will be very low investment for the start.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I'm torn about the boot question. I rode rentals last season, which doesn't feel fundamentally different from buying a pair of used boots without a fitting. I'm excited to start next season in my own boots, but those rentals were important to figuring out whether I wanted to fully commit to the sport. I'd only worry about a pair of "cheap used boots" if someone who did decide they wanted to keep skiing kept using them long-term instead of making their way to a bootfitter.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought used tele boots in grad school and they are my all time favorite boots (original purple and teal terminators- I still pull them out every once in a while :-). They really need new buckles and liners - especially after skiing the sand dunes- the sand is still there 20 years later.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Moonrocket Skiing sand dunes? Please share some detail.

Great Sand Dunes National Park Is where I did it - you have to hike - but it’s definitely fun.

We hit it with about 6” of snow on the dunes - which made for amazing skiing. It left the coolest brown turn lines through the snow all of the way down. Totally smooth hero turns!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly