• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Difficulty making parallel right turns

sandtan

Diva in Training
I have taken a fair number of group lessons this season and no one has ever offered me this advice, or at least not put it this way. But this totally makes sense!!! When I ski on easy greens I face my upper body downhill the entire way, but as soon as I get on a slope that makes me uncomfortable I tend to traverse to the point where my upper body is facing the side of the run...and suddenly turning becomes more challenging (though this may also be a speed problem but I imagine the two are related). I think what this ultimately boils down to is a confidence issue, which will hopefully get better as I ski more. But I will consciously make an effort to face my upperbody downhill next time I ski, Thanks for your advice!

This is soooo helpful! I feel this is exactly what i do as well you are not alone :smile: i think for me is a confidence thing as the slopes get more steep. Feels like if you begin that 's' or 'c' shape you will be out of control .. These ladies are so incredibly helpful on here ! It was a great question. (thought i was the only one who turned ok one way and lose it going the other way) kudos!

Thank you!!! :wave:
BirdGirl,
If you carefully watch the video you'll see his knee starts moving downhill to move the ski to the new edge. Try this: On an easy (for you) slope, stand perpendicular to the fall line, turn your upper body so that you are facing downhill, with your hands also reaching downhill. Slowly relax your downhill leg, until the ski starts to slip into the fall line, go straight, and turn to a stop. Do this a couple of times both directions. Now do a full turn, keeping your upper body and hands pointed downhill and starting the turn by relaxing the downhill leg. Could also be an alignment issue, or leaving too much weight on the uphill foot.

FWIW, I too am having trouble with my right turns. Primarily because I chipped a bone in my hip while teaching 5-6 year olds on the conveyor lift in the kids' terrain garden. No skiing for me until a couple of days before I go to Utah Feb. 27-March 7.:injured:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna