• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Diagnosing Boot Problems

tika55

Certified Ski Diva
I am definitely planning to buy new boots but I am trying to figure out how to describe my current issues to the bootfitter. I'm an advanced intermediate skiing in Colorado. I'm about 5'9" and 170 lbs with strong legs from lifting. An earlier post on this board convinced me that my boots are too soft (Salomon S/PRO 80W). I think they may also be too big and my feet are definitely different sizes as well. I am planning to get new boots but want to try to describe my problems accurately to the bootfitter. :smile:

My main issue is that there is a perceptible lag between my body turning above the knee and my ski following. I don't have a problem on casual groomers (blue/green) but on steeper terrain it gets a little worse. On bumps and/or trees, it's MUCH worse because I'm trying to turn faster. My right boot is more problematic and definitely has more space inside. Both boots have some space around the ball of the foot and my right heel is slipping a bit as well. Coincidentally (or not) my right knee hurts a little after skiing. No pain otherwise. My boots feel tight ish when I first put them on but after skiing about an hour there's definitely more space than I want. I have about 24 ski days on them.

Is it fair to say that this is a fit problem at this point? I honestly don't know how to tell if the boot is also overflexing given what seems like a fit issue. I'm guessing it problem is but not sure how to differentiate between too big and too soft.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Based on your description and height/weight/strength I would agree your issue is your current boots are both too soft and too big. Softer boots delay the energy you put into them to the ski, which is great for beginners as it's more forgiving/less frustrating when learning but detrimental when you need more performance. A foot that's moving around is only going to exacerbate this even further.

Jilly

Staff member
Too big boots can also make the feet hurt. You'll think that the boot is too small, when it's your foot trying to fill the void.

When you go for your new boots, take the old ones too.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing a bootfitter had me do was to take the liner out and put my foot directly in the shell. Center the foot front to back and then see if you can feel the sides of the shell or if you need to move your foot side to side. The bootfitter said you want to just barely feel both sides with your foot centered. I would not be surprised if you find you have to shift your foot a bit to find the sides, meaning they're too wide.

Also, I'm shorter, lighter, and a less advanced skier than you but have the S/PRO 90. You could argue I should have 80 instead (it was out of stock) but I bet you need stiffer.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Salomon smax 120 and I love the boot. It is so customizable. The flex may be too stiff for me right now bc my legs are kinda weak, but I am going to work on that this year and build some mass on my quads. you can always soften a stiff boot, but your cant stiffen a soft boot that I know of

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you lift weights, you probably squat a far bit too right? If so, you definitely may need a stiffer flex. I used to lift and I've always been very flexible at the joints. I was at 80 flex and my current bootfitter said I was able to flex right out them.

@leia1979 suggested an easy shell fit run through and a good boot fitter will do the same.

As for the feel as the plastic softens up - I have the same issue, even now. I tighten as the day wears on, lol. I don't think there is much that I can do to change that as that's just the nature of the plastic.

Summary:
All the things you have told us are the right things to say to your bootfitter. If you are looking to improve performance, you might want to use language like "performance" fit, which seems to be code for a tighter fit, very the looser comfort fit they seem to provide to the resort skier. You'll want to add in the details about your weight lifting and talk about whether a higher flex would be right for you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your boots are both too soft and too large from the sounds of things. Definitely emphasize your desire to get out of a "comfort" fit towards a "performance" fit, the lack of heel hold, and all the other issues you are experiencing. I would also add, be willing to consider making room in a smaller boot for the larger foot so that the smaller foot can get the correct fit.

tika55

Certified Ski Diva
Too big boots can also make the feet hurt. You'll think that the boot is too small, when it's your foot trying to fill the void.
Interesting! I actually noticed this...it's like I'm straining my foot trying to fill the space.

Jilly

Staff member
I think the collective wisdom here is the boots are an issue. Did you buy them from a boot fitter? And how old are they?

tika55

Certified Ski Diva
If you lift weights, you probably squat a far bit too right? If so, you definitely may need a stiffer flex. I used to lift and I've always been very flexible at the joints. I was at 80 flex and my current bootfitter said I was able to flex right out them.

Yes! I squat often and can do a full range of motion squat.

tika55

Certified Ski Diva
I think the collective wisdom here is the boots are an issue. Did you buy them from a boot fitter? And how old are they?

I just bought them from my local Christy's. I bought them in Dec 2021 but I hadn't really skiied in a couple of years, so I'm sure I made myself sound like more of a "comfort" skier. :smile: At that time I didn't know my children would like trees and moguls!

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
I have the same boots and the same exact problems! I bought mine three days into learning how to ski for the first time in my life. I don’t think I knew exactly what I was looking for. Now that I’m intermediate I feel a lot of these issues. My heal shifts. It’s hard to flex or maybe it’s bc it’s too soft. And I often feel like my legs want to go and my feet won’t follow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna