• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DH virgin

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
eek I've just signed up for my first uplift day at Innerleithen, really looking forward to it but a little nervous as I've never done DH before. It's a women's only uplift day on a friday so the trails should be quiet and apparently some of the other girls haven't done DH before either so it sounds like a good place to learn. I've hired a nice bike, already use body armour and am getting a full face helmet, wish me luck!

altagirl

Staff member
Wow, women's only uplift day sounds fantastic! Definitely a good time to learn.

And that bike should be a blast - I have a friend who has a neon pink Orange. :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck! I am pretty sure you'll love it =)

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I did the uplift day on friday and loved it, I had sooo much fun. My boyfriend has ridden here before and had told me what a few of the trails were like before hand. There is one that is quite freeridey, just lots of big jumps (which are rollable) and berms so he told me to start with that, there are a couple of hand built trails, very tight, twisty, steep, in the trees, he said he didn't think I would like them. So the first run we arrive at the top and set of down the trail, I see a sign and it's one of the trails my boyfriend told me NOT to do, oh well! I loved it though, there are four main trails, which often intersect, and lots of older trails and some overgrown trails which have been used for races and basically they all criss-cross all the way down the hill. I did bits of them all and actually preferred the tight, twisty steep ones. One section was a bit steep for me and I tried to walk it but it was so steep, and my bike so heavy that I ended up sliding down on my bum :smile:

So obviously I need a new bike now :eyebrows: I rode a 2011 Orange Patriot which has 180mm travel front and rear. I really liked it, although playing about with it in the car park the front end felt heavy, it had Marzocchi 66 RCV forks which one of the other girls though were pretty heavy. It didn't feel heavy riding it but I don't know what it would be like doing drops. I'm not very good at drops anyway and I'm not sure I could keep the front end of the bike up? The bike I demoed is actually for sale at 40% of rrp (£1800) after it's been hired 30 times. I really loved it but not sure I want to spend that much on something I've done once? It's also the only bike like that I've ever tried so I may well like something else even more? The other option is to look for a second hand bike with similar spec. I'm not sure I would notice less travel (say 160mm) but I really liked the slack head angle (65.5) and bikes with 160mm travel tend to be a bit steeper than that. I could also get a proper downhill bike, I've seen a few Orange 224s for sale, however I'm worried it would be too heavy and not as maneuverable. My local DH trail is about an hour away and has uplift every fortnight so I have plenty of opportunity. Most of the trails are quite tight and rooty rather than fast and rocky and there isn't too many drops and none that haven't got chicken runs.

What sort of bike should I get?

altagirl

Staff member
Yay! Glad to hear you had so much fun!

I think it sounds like a great opportunity to demo - see what your local shops have available and try something new the next few times you head out. Then you'll have a much better idea of what you like! I think that generally, you have a number of different brands in Europe than what our shops tend to carry here, so I'm not quite sure what to recommend, but if you post up what your options are, I might be able to give you some thoughts. :smile:

abc

Banned
One section was a bit steep for me and I tried to walk it but it was so steep, and my bike so heavy that I ended up sliding down on my bum
That's one thing I found doing lift-served downhill trails: if it's too steep to ride down, it'll be too steep to walk down!

So a lot of times, it's down to weighing which is the worse of two evils...

Up to this date, my reluctant had me riding down a lot of stuff I didn't feel like doing... So far so good though.

I really loved it but not sure I want to spend that much on something I've done once?
Since you do have access reasonably close, there will be many more rides!

I can't help you with specific bikes. But I'd say go for it.

Your only live once. And what did they say? If you don't do it today, you'll be one day older tomorrow.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't help you with specific bikes. But I'd say go for it.

Your only live once. And what did they say? If you don't do it today, you'll be one day older tomorrow.

And if you find that you don't ride it enough, you can sell it ... at least, that's what I told myself when I bought AG's old bike =) I haven't ridden it as much as I'd have liked, but it's tons of fun when I do, so it's not going anywhere.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've copied some pics from facebook it's cool to see so man y women together at once :smile:

This was us walking to the start of the trails, I think it's a really cool pic

315650_159176020828695_104119426334355_326310_4909253_s.jpg

me looking very ungnarly, this was right at the bottom and I was knackered

299723_159176944161936_104119426334355_326329_697642_s.jpg

and all the biking Divas :smile:

318294_159178627495101_104119426334355_326377_241933_s.jpg

I think I will try out a few more bikes, I would quite like to try a full on DH bike, I'm just worried it will be a bit heavy at the slow speeds I'm going!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I will try out a few more bikes, I would quite like to try a full on DH bike, I'm just worried it will be a bit heavy at the slow speeds I'm going!

I'm pretty slow myself, but the DH bike is still very nice. If you have an opportunity, you should try one before ruling them out. (I say this, but I've never ridden a free ride bike - just XC bikes and then the DH bike, which I bought without ever having ridden any bike but XCs.) While I wouldn't want to do an XC ride with my DH, short climbs here and there aren't as miserable as I would have expected, and the misery is more due to the lowered seat (thinking of getting one of those quick-switch seat posts) than the weight / geometry of the bike.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
so I'm doing a second women's only uplift day next friday, I've hired a TR250 which is making me drool already, one of the girls is bringing a Kona Entourage to demo and another is hiring a Norco DH bike that I can try so I'm going to have a nice little mini demo day as well :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
Awesome! I'm jealous that you still have places to ride this time of year. Our lift-served and shuttle-able terrain is pretty much under snow now unless we head South.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a few lift served trails that are open all year round (if weather is good).
This year Laax (where I usually go for skiing) reopened its DH trail mid November ... lift is serving the glacier area but runs empty most of the time due to lack of snow ....

altagirl

Staff member
We have a few lift served trails that are open all year round (if weather is good).
This year Laax (where I usually go for skiing) reopened its DH trail mid November ... lift is serving the glacier area but runs empty most of the time due to lack of snow ....

That's great that they're taking advantage of whatever the snow conditions turn out to be!

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had my second uplift day last Friday and had a great time again :dance:

This time I hired a Transition TR250 :drool: slightly out my price range though! I also got to try a Cove Shocker and a Kona Entourage that 2 other girls had with them, didn't get on with the Entourage at all. I was glad to try the shocker as I was worried about buying a full DH biek with triple crown forks. the Shocker was a bit heavier feeling and not as nimble as the TR250 bot overall I preferred the slack head angle and geometry of the full DH bike to the entourage which had a bit steeper head angle. Surprisingly Shockers appear to turn up pretty cheap second hand so I may look out for one. A couple of girls at the uplift day said they wouldn't buy a 2nd hand DH frame due to problems with warranty if it cracked, anyone have any views on this?

altagirl

Staff member
That depends entirely on the manufacturer's policies on frame warranties.

Personally, I've bought a number of used DH frames and the one that did crack was warrantied by Ventana - my only cost was that I had them paint it another color after they repaired the crack, so I paid like $200 for shipping and custom paint. Can't complain about that.

The others I've purchased used never had any problems with the frames, and provided you're looking it over thoroughly before buying and getting some info on what sort of warranty the manufacturer provides, I wouldn't worry about it.

I believe a lot of manufacturers go off of how old the frame is (particularly for DH frames) rather than whether or not you're the original owner. But even when it's out of warranty, many will still do a crash replacement for a fee, or things like that. Unless you're looking at an Iron Horse or something by a company no longer in business, most will do something to help take care of you if a frame cracks. Between my husband and I, we've owned at least 10 DH bikes and that Ventana was the only one of those that developed a crack, and that was repaired no questions asked.

But still - unless you're looking at a frame that is known to have structural issues, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as you're looking it over and avoiding buying something that's been obviously abused.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
we're having crappy snow in Scotland so I'm back to looking at bikes, I've seen a second hand Cove Shocker which is about 100miles from where I live. It's in my price range (very low!) but isn't the newest, any opinions on the components?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/938673/

The shock isn't listed but it's a Revox. This would be my first DH bike so don't want to/can't afford to spend a lot at the moment but on the other hand I don't want to buy a bike that I'm just going to have to keep spending money on.

I've also seen this which is obviously 50% more expensive but is newer

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/994385/

I don't really have any ideas on DH components and whether I want to buy a bike with 5 year old forks??

altagirl

Staff member
we're having crappy snow in Scotland so I'm back to looking at bikes, I've seen a second hand Cove Shocker which is about 100miles from where I live. It's in my price range (very low!) but isn't the newest, any opinions on the components?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/938673/

The shock isn't listed but it's a Revox. This would be my first DH bike so don't want to/can't afford to spend a lot at the moment but on the other hand I don't want to buy a bike that I'm just going to have to keep spending money on.

I've also seen this which is obviously 50% more expensive but is newer

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/994385/

I don't really have any ideas on DH components and whether I want to buy a bike with 5 year old forks??

Here are my thoughts:

Both seem to be X9 drivetrain, so that's about equal. Don't know what he means with the comment about the drivetrain setup - if it's out of adjustment or something is broken or what. Looks like you need to buy a rear brake - you should be able to find something used for under $100. That part missing is probably a good part of the low price on the bike. Note you don't need to have the same brand/model front and rear.

The Diabolus crankset on the newer (blue) one is actually a better crankset, despite the Respond cranks on the older red bike, despite the Respond cranks being a 2011 model. The Respond is an AM (all mountain) crankset, and the Diablous is a DH crankset. This just means the Diabolus is built to take more abuse. Now as a female beginner rider, chances are you would be totally fine with an AM crankset, so it is unlikely to be an issue. But just so you know, the newer 2011 crankset on the red bike is lower end than the crankset on the blue bike.

Regarding the forks... Personally - if you can, I would go check both of these out in person. Marzocchi forks are kind of on the downtrend these days, but 5+ years ago or so, they were the best out there, and they were quite durable and plush too. So to be honest, having an older Marzocchi fork on there might not be a bad thing. BUT - the key is how it feels. Forks are rebuildable for the most part, but obviously that's more money out of your pocket. If you can go test ride both of these (do adjust them as much as you can to get a proper feel) - that's going to be your best indicator. You're looking for something that moves smoothly, doesn't have scratches or dings on the fork stanchions, isn't making any odd noises, etc. Adjust the rebound settings (usually a red knob and usually labeled rebound or "fast/slow") and make sure it changes - this means when you adjust it to slow, when you compress the fork, it returns to the original position slower, when you turn it the other way it pops back up faster. You don't need to get it dialed in during your test ride, but you want to make sure the rebound knob still works. If you can't tell a difference when you turn it all the way one direction or the other, it's broken. Obviously you're also looking to see if oil is leaking out anywhere. There will probably be just a teensy bit on the stanchion - you don't want the fork seals to be bone dry, but if you see drips, etc.... you're probably looking at new seals. That's not hard to do, but factor it in to your price.

The red one in particular looks nice and clean (but has more photos too so it's easier to tell). But look at both of the frames and make sure you don't have any paint cracks, particularly at the welds (this would indicate a frame crack under the paint). Or any major dents. Little dents/scratches/etc. - usually not a big deal.

The chainguide on the red one is a bit nicer too - it's more modern and lighter weight. However, both are e13's and will work just fine.

I'm really not familiar with the Revox rear shock - I haven't used a Manitou in quite a while, but it appears to have good reviews on MTBR. I've had plenty of DHX 5's and they are fine. Again, like the front fork, I would say the real test is to sit on it, make sure it moves smoothly without feeling "stuck", make sure the rebound adjustment functions, and make sure it's not leaking oil.

Edit: - whoa - so looks like that Revox rear shock is recommended to only use a Ti (titanium) spring. From the color, I'd guess that's what's on there (do verify though). That being the case, that's some money. I've never even had a Ti spring. My husband has had a few - normally, it's a couple hundred bucks just for the spring (a standard one is maybe $50, tops). Realizing that, make sure the spring is of a weight that you can actually use, or that you can find one somewhere to swap it with. But if it's useable, that is a HUGE bonus to have a Ti spring.

Note that for both front and rear shocks, you don't want them to feel like a pogo stick, you know? If the rebound is set to very fast, it will feel like that... if you try to adjust it and can't slow down the rebound and it feels really fast and like there is nothing slowing it down - something's wrong. Now, mind you, the real big adjustment for coil suspension is swapping out the coil for one that's a spring weight for your body size. So if the previous owner is way heavier or lighter than you, you may need to swap out the coils. That's easy to do, and depending on your relationship with a shop and what they have in stock, you MAY have some luck getting them to trade in what you've got. If not, you can find used ones online, just make sure you're matching all the specs to get the right size (and likewise you should be able to sell the one you have if you need to swap it out.)

I'm not really familiar with the Nukeproof components either - they're a UK brand, I believe, and we don't see them much.

I'm writing a novel here.... but I hope that helps! Bottom line is that I don't know which I'd go with until you look at them. Once you see them in person and see how they feel, you are likely to get a better feel for which will work better for you.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thanks so much, that's really helpful. The red bike is the only one that is near me so the newer blue bike was just really as a comparison but sounds like the red one might be a decent buy for a first bike :smile:

Will check about the rear coil, I wouldn't have known to ask about the Ti springs so that's really useful :thumbsup:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna