• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Denver Divas, help please!

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On Sunday, April 13th, I'll have about 9 hours between when a shuttle drops me off at the Denv Intl Airport and when my flight actually leaves. Thinking about renting a car to do a little exploring. Is there anything in town I could do during that time (count on 7 hours) that would be worth doing? I'm not sure where to go. I'd enjoy walking about a downtown/trendy area and grabbing a bite of awesome food during that time to relax. Better than the airport, for sure!

Thanks!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check out this: The 16th Street Mall is a pedestrian mall with a free bus that runs up and back all day. I will say, 16th street itself is a little tired these days, but still some good restaurants there. Mainly it connects (roughly) the art museum/Capitol Hill area, and LoDo, which is the trendier part of town. I would hang out in the art museum a bit, make my way toward Larimer Square and that area, and eat and shop for while.

Hopefully the weather will be perfect, and walking will be wonderful, but the bus will be nice if it isn't. Too bad the light rail isn't finished yet between downtown and the airport; that would make this really simple.

Sounds like a fun way to spend a day! I have done the same thing during a layover, we had 9 hr at Dulles en route to Europe once; DH had meetings, but I took the kids into Wash DC and even visited some old friends! (Both kids were born there, but moved away when very young.) We had too much fun and almost missed the plane, though, lol.

I would offer to guide you, but I'll actually be out of town, landing at DIA at about 6 pm on Sunday. I will wave though. :-)

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree with Pinto. I live in Cap Hill, next door to historic Molly Brown house. There is also Kirkland museum which is great for mid century art and furniture if that interests you.

Perhaps have shuttle drop you off in downtown Denver and take cab or super shuttle from downtown hotel to airport. Car rental might be more expensive and a hassle.

I won't be here either but there is lots to do.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree with Pinto. I live in Cap Hill, next door to historic Molly Brown house. There is also Kirkland museum which is great for mid century art and furniture if that interests you.

Perhaps have shuttle drop you off in downtown Denver and take cab or super shuttle from downtown hotel to airport. Car rental might be more expensive and a hassle.

Yes, my niece used to work at Kirkland! Cool place. Skier31 is right, there are a few little museums nearby in addition to the main DAM, such as the Clyfford Still Museum, Colorado History, etc. Just open up a map and see what looks good.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would offer to guide you, but I'll actually be out of town, landing at DIA at about 6 pm on Sunday. I will wave though. :-)

Ahhh………two ships that pass in the night…

Just kidding. More like three ships.

I've already got a car rented for my time there. The option was to get a prepaid shuttle to the location (near Winter Park) or rent a car. Lately our flights seem to have significant problems with flights delayed, etc., and if you miss the shuttle you are out of luck. Since renting a car is just a small amount more than the shuttle I decided to rent, as that also made it easier to enjoy Sunday. Now I see that they recommend a 4WD in case roads are bad. CRAP! Please let the weather be good!!!!

So, I have a car already at my disposal and can go anywhere. The museums sound like a great idea.

abc

Banned
Now I see that they recommend a 4WD in case roads are bad. CRAP! Please let the weather be good!!!!
Hmmm... "good" weather for skiing is snow! ;-)

Since you have a car and your flight is late in the day, why not ski that day?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If she only has about 7 hours, it's probably not worth it to drive out to the mountains. She'd have to rent the car which can take some time, then drive the 1.5 hours out (potentially more depending on traffic and wweather) and then would ski a few hours before having to turn around. I think it would be stressful to try and cram that in between flights, flying is bad enough as it is!

abc

Banned
I bbelieve she has changed her plan as of the latest:

'Since renting a car is just a small amount more than the shuttle, I decided to rent"

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I do have a rental car. It is the time I'm worried about. I won't be finished until probably about 1:00. I WILL be right by Winter Park, but it closes by 4:00. I'm worried that by the time I get there, get boots on, rent skis, etc., that I'll only have one to two hours to ski! Wish they closed at 7:00!!! It is SOOOO TEMPTING!! I can't imagine what it would be like to ski there. Wow. It just seems too hard to manage.

Hard to believe I'll be so close, and yet so far. Murphy's Law. Also can't change flights at all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna