• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Demoing 2021 Head Kore 87W (intermediate-ish skier)

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
5'3, 115lb, cautious skier, mostly ski NZ blues and some reds
Daily drivers: 2020 Black Pearl 88 @159cm

Well the NZ ski season has started (at least in my region of NZ, where we have been blessed by the snow gods) and it's off to a nice start. Despite the season only being a couple of weeks old, demo fleets have already started showing up! I recently saw Head there and knew I had to try out some of their Kore skis, as a friend in Australia had tried them and thought they were surprisingly great for NZ/AU conditions - which have a tendency to be icy and hard due to the frequent freeze-thaw cycles we get here.

flags.jpg

It was a beautiful day for skiing.

day.jpg

The ladies Kore skis turned out to be popular demo skis and after doing a couple of warm-up laps on my own skis, I had some trouble getting on any of the ladies versions :smile: I thought the Kore only came in 93 width and above, but to my surprise it turns out Head has added another width to the lineup for 2021, and this was the width I was able to get on - the 87W. I tried it in 153cm. Apparently the next length up is 162cm so quite a decent jump. I wasn't able to try out the longer one for comparison though.

kore1.jpgkore2.jpg

I'd describe the colour as a very dark plum.

Last season I never got a chance to try any of the Kore skis, but I also would have shied away from them, because I've always heard the Kore skis described as being very light and very stiff, which was daunting to me. This season I felt more than ready to give them a go, but I was still surprised - it's true that in 153 the ski may be on the shorter side for me (160cm tall), but I actually found these skis to be easy to ski. They were compliant, turny, fun, and held a good edge. The demo tech commented that at this length they would feel very playful and that was correct! I also didn't find them punishing when I got a little far back. I understand that all of the Kore skis have quite a stiff tail but I'm probably not skiing in conditions where that makes them overly difficult (bumps or trees.... no trees above the snowline here in NZ :laughter:). YMMV with regards to the stiffness of this ski but I found it to be just fine. I'm not a fast skier at all but these skis had good stability at all the speeds I put them through.

Comparing them to skiing my Black Pearl 88, the Kore maybe feels a bit more poppy and zippy. Both feel compliant and easy to turn. When I visually compared them to the BP88 they look very similar in terms of sidecut and taper.

Overall I'd be happy to ski the Kore 87W all day. I think this could be a pretty great option for many ladies out there looking for a ski in the ~88 width category (a very popular category of skis these days!!). :smile:

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    858.4 KB · Views: 13

Jilly

Staff member
I'm looking for something in that area of width. I'll put those on my list.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
a) so cool you are skiing
b) good review and great to see that a ski you were not sure about gave you a pleasant surprise!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are just so lucky here in NZ to be having a normal ski season, I'm very grateful for it!

And yeah, I'll be interested to see more reviews for this new width later in the year, especially if more Divas manage to get on it :smile:

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied the 2020/2021 Kore 87 (really 85) back in February. Light, yet solid ski for me in the 162. IIRC this ski isn’t new, it’s been part of the Kore junior line and is being marketed to women with the maroon topsheet change and additional length offerings.

EasternCanadaDiva

Certified Ski Diva
I read a review somewhere that says the Kore 93 is quite unstable, like flying off the mountain.
Wondering why different people have complete different view?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read a review somewhere that says the Kore 93 is quite unstable, like flying off the mountain.
Different skill set on skis. Different tune (read: poor tune) on the demo skis, different snow conditions. There are many variables that can make a ski feel different to one person, throw in more than one person on the same ski and you'll get differing opinions. My PERSONAL experience on the Kore 93 was that they were awesome.

Jilly

Staff member
Every skier likes different things. I personally haven't found a wide ski that I really like. Now I tried an Atomic 95 in WB and loved it. Bought a pair, tried it here in the east and sold it. I'm not extremely happy with the Nordica SA 88 either. Should have bought the Brahma 82.

There were no demo's this year because of Covid. I did get a HP demo on the Rossi Hero ST Ti back in December. Bought those and love them.

Haven't met a Head, Salomon, K2 that I like. There are many people like that.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Have you had a chance to do a free demo day? Reading reviews made much more sense to me after I started checking out skis as a confident intermediate. Although in initially they weren't that helpful since I'm petite and most of the reviewers weren't and were clearly advanced/expert skiers. Made more sense after I improved my technique and had more experience on different skis.

I had a very good time on the Kore 99 at a demo day in the northeast. Never had a chance to try the Kore 93 because it was always out. Since I generally like Head skis, I expected to like the Kore. My favorite brands are Head, Blizzard, Rossignol, K2, and Stöckli.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Could have been skill level, bad tune, personal preference and ski style. I ski the Kore 93 here in the Mid-Atlantic area and fell in love with them when I demoed them two years ago. Skied them nearly full time last year and three times this season so far. Love them for powder days, soft snow, and spring potatoes/slush. Not a fan on hard, icier snow as they tend to chatter. I've got some Liberty V82w I now use on hard snow days.
Definitely demo if you have a chance. It is a great opportunity to find the style and build of ski that works for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna