• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Demo report: 20-21 Secret 92, 20-21 Santa Ana 88, 20-21 Black Pearl 88

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Handed down my beloved 2013 Wild Belles 154 to my 21 y.o daughter, so time to demo again. Back then I liked those and a mid 80s Rossi experience next best. Kenja was OK, but heavy, Yumi too soft. Dynastar Chamonix better than I expected given strange shape (at the time). Did NOT like BP, chatter at speed or Kastle 80s, not playful, or a K2 frontside ski, forget which.

My stats now, age 61, 5'5", 140lbs, advanced skier, mostly New England, occasional trips out West.
I like bumps and tree skiing, and value a light playful ski. I don't ski fast, and I don't like to. I'm told I ski better technically than my non-aggressive stance.

1. 20-21 Volkl Secret 92/163 - I have family who are excellent skiers, who swear by Volkl and said I should go longer certainly and wider probably given newer designs. Very stable at speed on scratchy surface, but no playful pop.

2. 20-21 Santa Ana 88/158 -This is what I would've bought if I had to buy without demoing. I expected to love these, but had chatter at speed NOT better than my 2013 Wild Belles. And they seemed "heavy." Could be I really need the next length, 165 I think, but that would increase the weight and I didn't really want to go to 165, so I can still poke around in the trees when I have the chance. I acknowledge that the limitation might be my head and not the skis!

3. BP 88/159 - I did NOT like the BP back in during my demo year 2013 or 2014. Tried it twice back then since it was so popular but I did not feel the love. Meanwhile I've read they've changed over the years. They certainly did!!! Loved them. Stable (no chatter at speed) with good hold on ice, lots of playful pop. Responsive as all get out to any change in stance. Tiny bit wider and longer than my beloved Wild Belles, which will be good for trips out West when COVID is better controlled. I was so convinced that I bought them, and put my demo season to an end!

Never thought I'd say it but I'm a Black Pearl girl now!
Merry Christmas to all! Family was planning to ski today, but New England seems to be washing out. Sigh . . . .

marzNC

Angel Diva
Never thought I'd say it but I'm a Black Pearl girl now!
Thanks for the review. Just goes to show that it's really helpful to be able to demo. I have the originally Black Pearl and definitely liked the 2018-19 version better. Would like to give the 2020 version a try some time.

newboots

Angel Diva
I ski the BP 82s in 159. I’m not nearly as experienced or skilled as you (this is my fifth year, but more like 4.5 given how last year went). Also I started at age 62.

All that said, I do love these skis. They feel like they belong on my feet, and since I got them skiing is just more fun!

ttskier

Diva in Training
Hi @DebbieSue

Your post was helpful and similar to my own ski profile - 5'3", 120 lbs, early 50s. I love love love my old Volkl vectris skis (170 cm) just had them out yesterday for a ski day with my 14 year old daughter. Love the speed and the turns these skis make, but it's time for an upgrade and slightly tamer ski before I get injured :smile:

I am also torn between the Nordica Santa Ana 88 and the Black Pearl 88 (2020/2021) year, and the length 158" or 165"? I want something that basically does it all.

(On my short list are Volkl Secret and Elan Ripstick). Would love to hear recommendations from this forum and what length you ultimately decided on.

Happy skiing!!
Tracy

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi @DebbieSue

Your post was helpful and similar to my own ski profile - 5'3", 120 lbs, early 50s. I love love love my old Volkl vectris skis (170 cm) just had them out yesterday for a ski day with my 14 year old daughter. Love the speed and the turns these skis make, but it's time for an upgrade and slightly tamer ski before I get injured :smile:

I am also torn between the Nordica Santa Ana 88 and the Black Pearl 88 (2020/2021) year, and the length 158" or 165"? I want something that basically does it all.

(On my short list are Volkl Secret and Elan Ripstick). Would love to hear recommendations from this forum and what length you ultimately decided on.

Happy skiing!!
Tracy
For what it's worth I like Nordica skis, including the Santa Ana models, the BP88, and the BP98. At least the versions between 2015-2019. At the same time, I'm not a Volkl fan. Demo'd the Ripstick 94 a few years ago and it was okay but not stellar. Since you have liked Volkl skis, probably best to demo if at all possible.

As for length, I've been going shorter in recent years even as I've improved my technique taking lessons regularly. I'm a couple inches shorter and a little lighter, older by a decade, and a solid advanced skier spending a fair amount of time off-piste these days. My mid-80s all-mountain skis are 158cm. I had the BP88 @145cm for a couple days for demo skis a few years ago and had far more fun than I expected. Took out the BP98 @152 that week after 9 inches of fresh snow. So now I tend to stay under 160cm, even for wider skis.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
"and what length you ultimately decided on."
I got 20-21 BP88 at 159. I'm taller and heavier for that length than many on this forum, but have not been on skis as long as 170 for decades, and never owned Volkls which aggressive skiers like. I'm thinking on either BP88 or SA88 as a Volkl skier on 170s you won't be happy down in the 150s. I'm told both BP and SA ski short because of rocker.

ttskier

Diva in Training
Thank you all! Appreciate everyone's guidance. I'm going with the BP 88's at 159. I was really torn between the BP and the SA 88 but decided on BP.

If helpful to other ski divas deciding between these two skis, I noticed the SA 88s have a bit more flex and spring in the ski in a side by side comparison to the BPs.

Jilly

Staff member
I bought the SA 88's untried. The deal was too good to pass up. Well today was the first day we've had any new snow. So I took them out for a few runs. I can compare them to the older Temptation 88's and Brahma 82. I had the T88's for a few years. I demo'd the Brahma's last season in Lake Louise.
If I had my choice I would still grab the Brahma 82's. But the SA 88's were fun. Not a speed demon and not a hope in H E double hockey sticks on ice. But found them really good in the bumps. I bought these to take out west this winter, but that trip isn't happening...So next time we get a good snowfall I'll get them out again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna