• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Demo Day (3/5/2022) - mid-fat (+1 frontside) in squishy slush

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, we had a demo day. And two inches of snow, that I'm pretty sure fell after a little bit of rain. Everything was soft and goopy and not enough cover to venture much off-piste. But I demo'd, and my kiddo took notes in a little notebook (<3.)

Me: 5'5", 130 +/- stroopwafel, intermediate+ skier who aspires to great effortless technique but tends to rely on brute force.
Usual ski: Atomic Vantage 97C, which is great in light powder but we didn't really get that this year. Gets a little skittish on hardpack.
Goal: figure out what I actually like in a ski.

The ski, in order of demo:
Icelantic Riveter 95
Icelantic Maiden 91
Volkl Secret 94*
Volkl Kenja 88
Head Kore 93
Armada ARV 86 (possibly old stock.)
Fischer 78GT

Thoughts:
Riveter 95: I demo'd this in a 169cm length, which is about 10cm longer than my sweet spot. It was very stable, but the tips flapped at any speed -- like bunny hill. So it was this weird experience of a super chattery but totally fine ride. Easy to turn, and it had the advantage of relative clean groomers. Liked it. Very very light.
Maiden 91: Also 169cm, but with twin tips. I think they must measure it before bending the ski as it was very short. Surely the sensible thing to do when demoing is to do the same kind of runs, so of course I took this into the one tiny section of deeper snow I could find and hit all the trees and bumps. Super easy to pivot, and I felt perfectly balanced, and I think if there'd been any kind of ice I'd die because the effective edge was approximately six inches which made the groomers a little hair raising. On the other hand I could pivot like a ballerina. Fun, but they wouldn't be a one-ski do-it-all. Also very light.
Secret 94: I wrote down 'Secret' and '94', but the Internet is making me doubt myself. They were blue. They look like the Blaze. What the demo man told me: they're light, wood,forgiving. What I found: I could not get out of the backseat for about half the run and never felt like I figured them out. Sort of left with a 'meh' feeling. I don't think I'd buy them, but I don't think I'd hate them if I owned them.
Kenja 88: 163cm. These were my favorite. They liked to get on edge, they liked to turn, they liked to go fast and they did not get thrown off by the fact that the snow was inconsistent. I have no idea what to make of the fact that the Secrets are supposed to be the easier ones to ski.
Kore 93: These are apparently an 89 underfoot in the 163cm size. They were stable, cut through everything, but my kid insisted on going down a bumpy black first and these were just too much ski for me.
Armada ARV 86: twin tips, but with no powder to play in and slush that was starting to freeze, these were not the skis for me. I'm not great at carving yet, but I think I need a ski that likes to be on its edge.
Fischer 78GT: wheeeeeee! 159cm, extremely variable snow that was freshly falling at the top and piled up slush at the bottom. They were fast and fun, and I think they'd be a blast on hardpack.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Further thoughts: a slushy day is not a great demo day. Complications: new boots that are quite a bit stiffer so fatigue factored in early which *never* happens to me, and I'm wondering if I might like the Kore better.

I don't know what to make of the fact that the skis that I liked the most (Maiden/Kenja) are so very different skis.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did the demo day at SB today too! Definitely interesting conditions. I did not try any of the icelandic. The Head Kore I did demo in the 163, I thought they handled all the conditions really well - maybe see if the ski shop has them for demo when you can try them on a day when you have some more time to adjust to your boots. I think they would be a great ski for SB. But for me, I still would prefer my daily driver - the head monster 88

I also demoed the Fischer GT 82. These skis are a beast! Even though I couldn't see with the crap visibility, these skis took me over everything with such stability and smoothe-ness, I didn't even feel I was on variable snow/moguls.

I demoed several others, but those two were my favorite.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes! I feel like "skis well when I can't see" is underrated. When I took out the Kenjas visibility dropped to five feet and I did slow controlled turns so the kid could follow and didn't feel off kilter.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're at Targhee--I heard conditions were er, um, pretty garbage there! No Stockli? Nordica? I swear Oliver said he'd have the Stockli fleet there.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're at Targhee--I heard conditions were er, um, pretty garbage there! No Stockli? Nordica? I swear Oliver said he'd have the Stockli fleet there.
The conditions were not that horrible, there was some nice soft areas to be found. And the slush makes the bumps soft which makes them easy to practice on. No Nordica or Blizzard, but they did have Stockli.

Last edited:

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

The Stockli fleet was there but they had to pack up early. I wanted to demo the Nela but didn't get a chance, unfortunately. No Nordica or Blizzard.

Conditions were kind of variable. I found some soft areas early and even a bit of powder but it went from nice and soft on the top half to slush on the bottom. If it cools before this system dumps we'll be good.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Stockli fleet was there but they had to pack up early. I wanted to demo the Nela but didn't get a chance, unfortunately. No Nordica or Blizzard.

Conditions were kind of variable. I found some soft areas early and even a bit of powder but it went from nice and soft on the top half to slush on the bottom. If it cools before this system dumps we'll be good.
I wanted to try the Nela too, but when I checked out what they had, they only had the 96, not the 88, which I wanted to try. Not sure they had a lot of skis to demo there.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds like you liked your favourites for different reasons. I vote get the Kenja! Also, that definitely sounds like you demoed the Blaze - pretty sure the Secret has metal in it, and comes in 92/96.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds like you liked your favourites for different reasons. I vote get the Kenja! Also, that definitely sounds like you demoed the Blaze - pretty sure the Secret has metal in it, and comes in 92/96.
Definitely Blaze, it's blue this year. The Secret is a beautiful dark green color, the old version came in a 92 and 102, and the new version is a 96.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now that I'm home I can muse a bit on finding "what one likes in a ski". This is a moving target that changes as quickly as spring conditions (or March 5th conditions :laughter: )

First thing: Most people at Snowbasin, and in general, are on skis that are too wide for the conditions they ski regularly. But Snowbasin, especially anymore, has very few deep powder days, and it gets tracked out so fast that most would be better off on an all-mountain crud-buster.

Second thing: The first skis taken out will often feel the best (if you start when the lifts open) because the snow is the best and your legs are fresh. So if you you take a pair out first and love love love them, take them out again later when conditions have deteriorated.

Third thing: (Which plays back into the first:smile: you both liked the narrowest skis the best! FWIW I'm still on the hunt for that elusive sub-80mm daily driver/groomer ski. True carving skis still have tails that kick my butt off-piste or at least make me tentative off-piste which is not a good thing. Narrower skis have such a fun quickness to them.

I'm bummed neither of you got on any Stockli. They just have such a special feel to them.

(And all that slush and rain hardened up into darn-near boilerplate today that once the soft got scraped off, was :eek:.)

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh I was wondering. I skipped today figuring it would be rough after the slush froze without a chance for a good groom.

I've been thinking about the width, too - I've had my skis for a year and half and used them in 6+ powder three or four times. And ditto to being tired - the Kore deserves a second chance.

I recently demo'd a friend's carving skis and it's possibly the most fun I've had this season but I didn't dare take them off piste.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh I was wondering. I skipped today figuring it would be rough after the slush froze without a chance for a good groom.

I've been thinking about the width, too - I've had my skis for a year and half and used them in 6+ powder three or four times. And ditto to being tired - the Kore deserves a second chance.

I recently demo'd a friend's carving skis and it's possibly the most fun I've had this season but I didn't dare take them off piste.
It was skied off soft crud to ball bearings to boilerplate to scraped off hard-pack--all in two turns. Granted we went in the afternoon because the sun came out but left after three runs. If conditions are such that I start skiing super defensively and revert back to bad old habits I'm working on kicking, it's time to pack it up and leave.

I'm debating getting a Nela 80 for next season vs. the 88. I'd likely go longer. Once even the powder gets skied out, I prefer something narrower typically.

We just don't get snow even like 4 or 5 years ago. My husband has been teaching here (Nordic, then PM, then Snowbasin) for more than 30 years and says he'd ski blower, over the head powder weekly. We haven't had that for two years at Snowbasin. It depresses me to no end.

It's too bad Nordica wasn't there. The Santa Ana 84 is a ski that should be on your radar as a more versatile ski with a tip that is crud and powder friendly but a bit more squared off tail.

Do you ski during the week?

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do! Usually try to get up once during the week. This week is spring break so more skiing but with 5yo riding my tails and charming all the retirees on the gondola, including an unexpected whiteout this morning on Strawberry.

I discovered today that new boots + current skis = much better edge control, which is an interesting data point.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
It was skied off soft crud to ball bearings to boilerplate to scraped off hard-pack--all in two turns. Granted we went in the afternoon because the sun came out but left after three runs. If conditions are such that I start skiing super defensively and revert back to bad old habits I'm working on kicking, it's time to pack it up and leave.

This comment made me feel SO MUCH better about my skiing last Friday. I did about 4-5 runs and the conditions were so unenjoyable that I went and had a drink and snacks while the kids skied for HOURS with friends. Exactly because I couldn’t get comfortable and relaxed, and could feel my weight shifting where it wasn’t helping, and I wanted to conserve my ligaments for spring break.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now that I'm home I can muse a bit on finding "what one likes in a ski". This is a moving target that changes as quickly as spring conditions (or March 5th conditions :laughter: )

First thing: Most people at Snowbasin, and in general, are on skis that are too wide for the conditions they ski regularly. But Snowbasin, especially anymore, has very few deep powder days, and it gets tracked out so fast that most would be better off on an all-mountain crud-buster.

Second thing: The first skis taken out will often feel the best (if you start when the lifts open) because the snow is the best and your legunnts are fresh. So if you you take a pair out first and love love love them, take them out again later when conditions have deteriorated.

Third thing: (Which plays back into the first:smile: you both liked the narrowest skis the best! FWIW I'm still on the hunt for that elusive sub-80mm daily driver/groomer ski. True carving skis still have tails that kick my butt off-piste or at least make me tentative off-piste which is not a good thing. Narrower skis have such a fun quickness to them.

I'm bummed neither of you got on any Stockli. They just have such a special feel to them.

(And all that slush and rain hardened up into darn-near boilerplate today that once the soft got scraped off, was :eek:.)
Haha, heres the funny thing. I went into the demo day wanting something shorter, narrower and softer than I usually ski. My husband said, no you don't want that. The kids ski coaches told me I wouldn't want that. The head reps told me it would be a bad fit for me. So for my first 2 runs I took out the Head Absolute Joy. Because I was sure I wanted something softer, easier and more forgiving... Lol. Jokes on me They were awful for me - didn't want to go fast, horrible in moguls, and did not want to go through the chopped up snow.

After lunch, I got on the Fischer GT 82 - these skis are a BEAST! I felt like I was actually a good skier (which is QUITE the accomplishment). I could barely even tell I was skiing in uneven snow or moguls. They do tell you when you are off balance, and does need more of a forward position. But I wanted something narrower than my Heads (88 underfoot). And these skis check all the boxes.

I am sad I could not try the Stockli, but those are out of my price range anyway.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha, heres the funny thing. I went into the demo day wanting something shorter, narrower and softer than I usually ski. My husband said, no you don't want that. The kids ski coaches told me I wouldn't want that. The head reps told me it would be a bad fit for me. So for my first 2 runs I took out the Head Absolute Joy. Because I was sure I wanted something softer, easier and more forgiving... Lol. Jokes on me They were awful for me - didn't want to go fast, horrible in moguls, and did not want to go through the chopped up snow.

After lunch, I got on the Fischer GT 82 - these skis are a BEAST! I felt like I was actually a good skier (which is QUITE the accomplishment). I could barely even tell I was skiing in uneven snow or moguls. They do tell you when you are off balance, and does need more of a forward position. But I wanted something narrower than my Heads (88 underfoot). And these skis check all the boxes.

I am sad I could not try the Stockli, but those are out of my price range anyway.
The GTs were on my short list after skiing an 86 last year. I believe they come in a 78 under foot but I think it’s a softer more intermediate ski.
And you ARE a good skier!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do! Usually try to get up once during the week. This week is spring break so more skiing but with 5yo riding my tails and charming all the retirees on the gondola, including an unexpected whiteout this morning on Strawberry.

I discovered today that new boots + current skis = much better edge control, which is an interesting data point.
Let’s meet up! You too @Sheena!
Wednesday could be fun (or a disaster!) big storm on its way!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna