• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Deer Valley, UT 1/30 - 2/3

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wednesday 1/30
8th year and it never gets easier with kids! Lol. I made the kids go to school since our flight from Orange County was 6:45pm, but it was a rush to get from the schools to grab dinner and the airport but thankfully it’s a small airport. My 10 year sat with me and we couldn’t get WiFi to work (thanks Delta... JetBlue is easy and FREE), so he was all over me but I finally calmed him with an earbud and music about 20 min before we landed. Grabbed a Jamba Juice for the kids in a very crowded SLC airport at 10pm. Grabbed luggage right off carousel and headed to the rental car garage. Picked up the Tahoe and off we went. Since we were getting in late, I had to callnight security to let us in when we got off the freeway. 15 min later and we were at Arrowleaf and bringing our stuff up to the condo. I had Black Diamond grocery delivery stock what we needed and that was all ready when we got there! Small blessings to be able to have breakfast in the morning without leaving!

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thursday 1/31
Woke up at 6:30 so I would be ready for ski delivery... only they didn’t show up until 7:45am and I had to text and call them. We crossed signals so it was as much their fault as mine. But the guy at Door2Door was great and got us hooked right up! Our ski instructors met us outside the condo and then we skied down to get lift tickets at the end of the run. (Nothing is better than ski-in/out). Got our lift tickets (Icon pass love) and on the lift we went! My kids were well ahead of us and went on much harder stuff, so the beginning of the day is just me and hubby with instructor time. We started the day with a nice easy warm up on Ontario.., which we saw 3 people total the whole run! Unheard of! Then we ventured over to Mountain Daisy and Lily so we (me) knew our way home. Back up and on Ontario again... still pretty empty! Then over to homestake lift and onto Bald Mountain and Little Stick and Deer Hallow. Up Mountaineer back to Deer Hallow and then Fairview back onto Deer Hollow. Normally, I have issues overthinking Fairview but after reading those books on fear, I just went for it. My instructor had to slow me down but I nailed it! Back up Mountaineer to Deer Hollow to Gnats eye to Little Stick and into Snow Park. Hit Carpenter Express up to mid-Mountain to retrieve kids and have lunch. Had a yummy lunch at Silver Lake Restaurant of tomato soup, spinach artichoke grilled cheese and fries. Once refueled, we headed back out, we hit mostly greens and easy blues. It was an amazing bluebird day with perfect snow!

14 runs
15.3 miles
11,537 downhill
29.4 mph top speed

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Friday 2/1
Figured we were ahead of schedule, but with me leaving my gloves them oldest leaving his phone (gasp... I thought it was surgically attached to him), we ended up a few min after 9. The line to get lift tickets was long so we didn’t hit the lift until 9:27. They really didn’t want to give me all the days we were here because if we don’t use them, we don’t get them back.. but unless I break something, I’m using them! We were slower today as our instructor was teaching us side sliding and balancing on one ski etc. While still a beautiful bluebird day, it was a bit windy and the snow was much firmer. The resort was also more crowded than it was yesterday. Apparently Icon pass, is bringing the crowds. Sigh. Was really happy with my performance as well as my instructor (my nag brain thinks he’s just being nice. LOL). We ate lunch in the same restaurant but added in carrot cake and strawberry cheesecake (the carrot cake was so good. The cheesecake just ok). Went back out and while going Little Stick, I fell and it knocked my confidence off. I was skiing slower and in the backseat (all bad things), so I sent my husband and kids off so I didn’t feel the pressure of keeping up and skied Ontario a few times (beginner green 1.7 miles) until I was confident and flying (for me) down the hill with ease. Did a few other runs alone and ended with a blue. Committed to doing it and just went for it!

13 runs
15.3 miles again
11,396 downhill
21.1 mph top speedFF6B80E6-47EE-4CAA-A0A4-B6BBEF5B2175.jpeg

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds you like and the kids are having a great time! Wonder if some people decided on a last minute trip given the snow forecast for the next few days.

Looking forward to checking out DV during late season when I'm at Alta since I have Ikon.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds you like and the kids are having a great time! Wonder if some people decided on a last minute trip given the snow forecast for the next few days.

Looking forward to checking out DV during late season when I'm at Alta since I have Ikon.

It’s also Sundance which means the city is packed. Traditionally, this is a slow time. I’m a chatterbox so since I skied alone, I ended up lifts with others and I ended up with 3 different employees that are shocked at how busy they were today. But the typical DV guest doesn’t like to ski when it snows... so we will see. I love skiing when it snows, it then again, I’m not typical anything.

Make sure to make a reservation on DV website for your icon pass.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Saturday 2/2

The weather was alright and it was busy busy busy. Went down a normally quiet blue and people were blowing by. We decided to ski trees which was a new experience for me. Absolutely loved being away from people and the quiet. Headed down to the lower mountain to ski some groomers and went on a intermediate blue. I ate it half way down because someone was going slow and stopped. Couldn’t get my momentum back but I could have totally owned that run. Did a few other runs and then headed to lunch. It was a freaking zoo so we skied back to the condo and ate there. Went back out for an hour or so but it was getting windy and the tiny kids were out in full force.

13 runs
11.4 miles
9,162 downhill
21 mph top speed

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sunday 2/3

Powder up to your boots! First time getting to ski powder. I’m totally hooked. Powder is definitely my thing. We were one of the first out on a few trails and dropped into the trees making first tracks! Woooooo!!! Did a few runs and skied up the slopes.. more first tracks. Went up and through more trees and ended up on some very ungroomed runs which was a bit of a challenge for me. Went through more trees and half way down I ate it in waist high snow. Was an absolute joy and laughed the whole time getting me out. Went and found more trees to drop in with no tracks and again I ate it because I was laughing so hard. Was in total heaven so as I lay there laughing I just went with it and made a 1/2 snow angel. Had to finally get help getting me up since the snow was so deep and I wouldn’t stop laughing. More I groomed trails and some burning quads and I was done for the day. On the way to brunch at Stein Erikson (totally recommend) we hit some very strong winds making it a bit difficult to go forward and hitting in the face with some hard snow. Totally sucked but once down all was good. Had to ski back to the condo and the lift ride up was crazy cold. Oldest picked a way harder run that suggested and those ungrounded blues proved quite challenging in the cold with blowing snow but we made it back in one piece! Had to change in the locker rooms since check out was 10am. The drive back to the airport was fine. No traffic. No snow. So now I sit in Delta’s lounge watching the super bowl! Go Pats!!

Yamaste

Certified Ski Diva
Powder up to your boots! First time getting to ski powder. I’m totally hooked. Powder is definitely my thing.

How exciting! And now I want a Captain American snow outfit. It's so great to see families skiing together.

I've only been to Deer Valley in the summer, but I've yet to ski there. Second on food at the Stein Erikson Lodge. DV been on a my ski list for a few years. Maybe whenever I switch over to Ikon ;)

that's when the locals go to DV---to find powder since typical guests stay on groomers.

Interesting ... A friend who has been skiing there since childhood told me that a lot of the locals go to Alta instead but this situation also makes sense. Good to know!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting ... A friend who has been skiing there since childhood told me that a lot of the locals go to Alta instead but this situation also makes sense. Good to know!
I think the advanced/expert skiers who enjoy the powder at DV want to keep it a bit of a secret. Although with Ikon, the secret is probably out. :wink:

I know a very experienced L3 instructor who taught at DV for a season after he retired from his day job (DC area). My impression is that he found plenty of powder to play in both with clients and on the few days he was able to free ski. There were times when he had 2-3 students for full-day lessons for 2-3 days.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How exciting! And now I want a Captain American snow outfit. It's so great to see families skiing together.

I've only been to Deer Valley in the summer, but I've yet to ski there. Second on food at the Stein Erikson Lodge. DV been on a my ski list for a few years. Maybe whenever I switch over to Ikon ;)

some powder days, it's easier to get to DV than up LCC to Alta. and a powder day at Alta, Snowbird, Brighton can be a real circus as there is a race for fresh tracks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965