• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dealing with osteopenia, ways to increase bone density

Jenny

Angel Diva
IKWYM about being done with PT. I really missed the foot massages after I was done with the ankle PT.

And isn’t it nice when the problem can be fixed by fixing the equipment and it's not something that you're doing wrong?

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
Had an updated dexa recently for the 60yr tune-up. Last one about 5yrs ago w/my first fracture. Fractured my clavicle; surgically repaired w/a pin. Since then, slipped crossing a creek hiking and fractured my wrist. No surgery that time, but a nice purple cast most of the summer.

Over Christmas, my 85yo Mom fell out walking. She has severe osteoporosis. She fractured her jaw and banged her head hard enough to make her brain bleed a little bit, and also mess with her memory and acuity. She was on no chew diet and only just recently had the hardware removed from her mouth. Thank god she didn’t fracture a hip too. She’s tough.

My dexa results remained about the same as last time. Hips osteopenic at -2.1, but spine awful at -3.9. Definitely have lost height already.

I’m an RN in ortho and my provider friends are shocked when they hear my numbers. I’m active, don’t smoke, drink lightly, etc but osteoporosis is 80% genetic. I’m def my Mom’s daughter.

But I really want to keep skiing!! And hiking, and biking, and generally playing, and I don’t want my spine to crumble. I’ve seen how painful vertebral fractures can be and it’s not pretty. And I’ve also seen how easily they happen. Ironically, my work is primarily with the spine team.

One of my goals recently has been to open my mind a bit more. I can be stubborn to a fault and I’m working to listen/hear/consider other ideas/opinions/perspectives, esp those in direct opposition to mine, and espoused by family and trusted friends.

I’ve been resistant to the meds for a variety of reasons, but I think it’s definitely time now. I’m lucky to have access to some amazing providers and good insurance, so we’ll see how this goes. Definitely want to ski as long as possible; I loved the story about the sisters in their 80s skiing!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But I really want to keep skiing!! And hiking, and biking, and generally playing, and I don’t want my spine to crumble. I’ve seen how painful vertebral fractures can be and it’s not pretty. And I’ve also seen how easily they happen. Ironically, my work is primarily with the spine team.

One of my goals recently has been to open my mind a bit more. I can be stubborn to a fault and I’m working to listen/hear/consider other ideas/opinions/perspectives, esp those in direct opposition to mine, and espoused by family and trusted friends....
@ddskis I have osteoporosis in my hip and osteopenia in my spine. Have had for years. Pills and dietary calcium have not increased my bone density, and we are talking about two decades since my diagnosis (70 now). I am definitely shrinking, so fast that I can't remember from one dr's appt to the next what my height is since it keeps changing.

I ski and run. Exercise with impact helps build bone strength despite its swiss cheesey form more than pills - at least in my experience. I've had the occasional ski crash that broke bones, but those crashes were so powerful that they would have broken bones even if I didn't have osteo problems. Little whoopsies on the snow and the trail don't break my bones. (I do wear body armor to protect knees and wrists when I run on rock-strewn trails however.)

I don't think of my bones as fragile, and neither does my endocrinologist. She's assured me that I'm as safe as anyone because of my activity level, and I choose to believe her. Could it be the same with you?

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Over Christmas, my 85yo Mom fell out walking. She has severe osteoporosis. She fractured her jaw and banged her head hard enough to make her brain bleed a little bit, and also mess with her memory and acuity. She was on no chew diet and only just recently had the hardware removed from her mouth. Thank god she didn’t fracture a hip too. She’s tough.
OMG your poor mom!

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
I know; poor thing. She lost about 12lbs fast, going under 100lbs for a bit. Protein powder and creative blending helped and she’s almost back to her regular weight. Full healing is a long ways off still.

And I’d love to think my bones aren’t fragile, but the -3.9 is spooky. And I’ve seen enough of my xrays to know it’s widespread and severe.

My mom has fallen a bunch and this is the first time she’s fractured; I’ve fallen twice and fractured both times. No bueno.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I don't know how I've missed this thread up to now. I guess insomnia at 3 am can be a good thing. Lots of really useful information here.

Considering the good, the bad and the ugly in terms of my risk factors:

- I am not small boned and have never been under 120 lb.

- Mother did not suffer from osteoperosis.

- I walk a lot but do not do much weight bearing exercise. That's going to change.

- I recently went on a high protein diet which may have caused calcium to leach into my urine. I had a 24 hour urine test and it was definitely high. I further increased my protein to aid in healing, so some diet modifications are in order.

- I drank a lot of caffeinated sodas but gave them up several years ago when I went on my diet. I currently do not drink any caffeinated sodas and have very little caffeine.

- After I broke my leg I also started using a collagen powder. I mix it in milk every day. I switched to every other day after my urine test was high. I have read that collagen is good for bones so I wonder if I should keep the collagen but lose the protein shake and bars. This will require a major change in my current diet.

- I said elsewhere that I wish there were a blueprint for increasing bone density. It would also be helpful if there were specific doctors whose field of expertise was "Osteoperosis". There is so much conflicting information out there.

- However I evaluate the risk factors, it is a fact that my current Dexascan shows osteoperosis in my wrist. My spine is fine and my hips are mildly osteopenic. What does this mean for my legs and arms? Hoping my endocrinologist can enlighten me.

Sorry for the long rant. This thread has been very helpful and I bookmarked several of the references. But it's also been comforting to read of other's experience with osteoperosis and skiing.

Good night.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I don't know how I've missed this thread up to now. I guess insomnia at 3 am can be a good thing. Lots of really useful information here.

Considering the good, the bad and the ugly in terms of my risk factors:

- I am not small boned and have never been under 120 lb.

- Mother did not suffer from osteoperosis.

- I walk a lot but do not do much weight bearing exercise. That's going to change.

- I recently went on a high protein diet which may have caused calcium to leach into my urine. I had a 24 hour urine test and it was definitely high. I further increased my protein to aid in healing, so some diet modifications are in order.

- I drank a lot of caffeinated sodas but gave them up several years ago when I went on my diet. I currently do not drink any caffeinated sodas and have very little caffeine.

- After I broke my leg I also started using a collagen powder. I mix it in milk every day. I switched to every other day after my urine test was high. I have read that collagen is good for bones so I wonder if I should keep the collagen but lose the protein shake and bars. This will require a major change in my current diet.

- I said elsewhere that I wish there were a blueprint for increasing bone density. It would also be helpful if there were specific doctors whose field of expertise was "Osteoperosis". There is so much conflicting information out there.

- However I evaluate the risk factors, it is a fact that my current Dexascan shows osteoperosis in my wrist. My spine is fine and my hips are mildly osteopenic. What does this mean for my legs and arms? Hoping my endocrinologist can enlighten me.

Sorry for the long rant. This thread has been very helpful and I bookmarked several of the references. But it's also been comforting to read of other's experience with osteoperosis and skiing.

Good night.

I knew that I forgot a risk factor last night: yo yo dieting. I have gained and lost the same 30-40 lb multiple times over my adult life. I had no idea that it would lead to loss of bone density.

newboots

Angel Diva
I am worried a little about my osteoporosis since having Covid I had spent about 6weeks doing almost nothing and spending a LOT of time in bed. I've started walking every day, and might be able to get back to the gym (with a mask, ugh!).

Covid has a long reach! :focus:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna