• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dates for Demo Days

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Does anyone have dates for demo days at their home mountain or is it too early to ask that question. I am particularly interested in East Coast.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Definitely not too early for people who like to plan travel in advance. :smile:

For folks in the DC area, Massanutten will have the Freestyle demo tent Jan. 12-13.

Sunday River usually has a demo day with tents set up by brand reps the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I think it was $10 when I went a couple years ago. Unfortunately way too warm that week so there was no ungroomed terrain. The blue groomer in the area with the tents was essentially an easy bump run with very soft snow. But it was tough as a first ski day of the season. Plus not enough snow at the base to load chairs on the chondola. The wait for a gondola cabin was 30+ minutes midday.

Killington has an early season demo day I think.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
I’m curious about this too! Although I’d be interested to hear about demo opportunities in Tahoe.

I’m hoping to buy my first pair of skis by the end of this season so I’m hoping to demo before then. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m curious about this too! Although I’d be interested to hear about demo opportunities in Tahoe.

I’m hoping to buy my first pair of skis by the end of this season so I’m hoping to demo before then. :smile:
Have you ever considered what I call a "personal demo day"? Essentially investing a day and some money to rent demo skis on mountain, with the idea to switch out multiple times, and ski more or less the same runs. I did that during a Diva Week at Big Sky a while back when I was looking for all-mountain skis. Started with my first choice, then checked out a few others, and finished with a couple runs on my favorite on some other terrain. Back then I didn't know much so got help from the ski shop about what to try based on telling them what I liked about the skis I owned and the demo skis that I did or didn't like at the time. I didn't buy my favorite until the summer when I found a good deal.

Free demo days are fun. However, it's common that the models and/or lengths you want aren't available.

What is your home mountain in Tahoe?

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
Have you ever considered what I call a "personal demo day"? Essentially investing a day and some money to rent demo skis on mountain, with the idea to switch out multiple times, and ski more or less the same runs. I did that during a Diva Week at Big Sky a while back when I was looking for all-mountain skis. Started with my first choice, then checked out a few others, and finished with a couple runs on my favorite on some other terrain. Back then I didn't know much so got help from the ski shop about what to try based on telling them what I liked about the skis I owned and the demo skis that I did or didn't like at the time. I didn't buy my favorite until the summer when I found a good deal.

Free demo days are fun. However, it's common that the models and/or lengths you want aren't available.

What is your home mountain in Tahoe?
Actually my dad recommended taking a day or two to rent demos. He also suggested me finding one that will let me put the demo cost toward a purchase. He said sometimes it ends up cheaper that way.

My home mountain is Sierra at Tahoe. I’m not sure what their demo shop is like so I may try skiing at another mountain to get more variety. I just some figured free demo days may give me an idea of what brands or skis I would want to test out further and pay to demo.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Actually my dad recommended taking a day or two to rent demos. He also suggested me finding one that will let me put the demo cost toward a purchase. He said sometimes it ends up cheaper that way.

My home mountain is Sierra at Tahoe. I’m not sure what their demo shop is like so I may try skiing at another mountain to get more variety. I just some figured free demo days may give me an idea of what brands or skis I would want to test out further and pay to demo.
Free demo days are fun, no question about that. But can also be a bit frustrating when the models you want to try aren't available or you can't find a good length. A good shop should have people who can give advice about what skis to try, or at least can describe the pros and cons of what they have to help you decide. More likely to be able to try the same model in more than one length. Talking to reps at a brand tent can require effort at times. Some reps are great, meaning patient and helpful, others seem much more interested in talking to advanced skiers who clearly have a quiver of several pairs of skis already.

Your father has a good point. :smile:

Have you heard the expression "marry boots, date skis"? While it's obviously better to buy skis that you like and will enjoy for at least a few years, selling them and moving on to something more fun is not that difficult. I say that as someone who is not good about selling stuff I just want out of the house or even returning something bought mail order. But I managed to sell skis to either a friend or a Diva with fairly little effort.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Home bump Royal Mt (Caroga Lake) Has Demo Days during Feb President's week. I'll update when the day is. It's FREE!! Usually not too many people either- one year I Tried 15 different skis!! Blizzard, Nordica, Line, Volkl, Atomic, all come.. Here's a video the ski shop that hosts it put out.
You can see how 'not' busy it is!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Demo days at small hills can be better than at a busy destination resort. Much easier to get what you want. The one at Whitetail is good since there are brand tents with pretty knowledge reps. But it's usually held on a Friday. Of course, that's another reason that it's not busy at the tents or on the slopes.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I'm thinking next year, when all three are in college, I can start traveling more to ski. But, then, I'll have three kids in college, so that may not work out financially...

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thinking next year, when all three are in college, I can start traveling more to ski. But, then, I'll have three kids in college, so that may not work out financially...

It's still fun to try skis, actually I take notes and then wait and buy them after they are "hot" skis and reduced in price!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I don't get down to Sierra at Tahoe, sadly, its been on my list since I moved here, but I get so busy and have to pass so much good skiing to get there, I just don't get down there.

If you want to make a trip to North Lake Tahoe some time I'd be happy to help you with demos.
I work a couple days a week at a shop that demos and lets you put the price of demo towards the purchase, most shops do that if they have the ski in stock.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's still fun to try skis, actually I take notes and then wait and buy them after they are "hot" skis and reduced in price!
I had to chuckle when I read this.
I used to take actual notes, but now I just use the voice memos feature on my phone. I've gotten lazy ;)

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Demo days at small hills can be better than at a busy destination resort. Much easier to get what you want. The one at Whitetail is good since there are brand tents with pretty knowledge reps. But it's usually held on a Friday. Of course, that's another reason that it's not busy at the tents or on the slopes.

So very true! Last year at Snowbowl in AZ there was a demo day with seven ski manufacturer's represented. I drooled initially when I arrived, not knowing about the demo event , and wrestled with the dilemma of demoing or just skiing on my brand new Renoun Z 77s. First day on the Renouns won out. However, there were zero wait times for those demos!

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
I don't get down to Sierra at Tahoe, sadly, its been on my list since I moved here, but I get so busy and have to pass so much good skiing to get there, I just don't get down there.

If you want to make a trip to North Lake Tahoe some time I'd be happy to help you with demos.
I work a couple days a week at a shop that demos and lets you put the price of demo towards the purchase, most shops do that if they have the ski in stock.
I'll be making at least one ski trip to the north shore this winter as I'm supposed to get a BOGO pass to Sqaw Alpine when I attend the SF Ski Fest! Your shop has a location in South Lake Tahoe too right? Does the Demo to Buy work across both stores? Or just one location?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be making at least one ski trip to the north shore this winter as I'm supposed to get a BOGO pass to Sqaw Alpine when I attend the SF Ski Fest! Your shop has a location in South Lake Tahoe too right? Does the Demo to Buy work across both stores? Or just one location?
Yes, the demo to buy program works across all stores.There is a BlueZone Sports in South Lake Tahoe, Carson City and Truckee. Phil floats between Carson and Truckee. I pretty much stay in Truckee.

Not that you want to wait that long, but Bobo's has a demo day with all manufacturers that they carry at their store, at Mt Rose in the spring. That is always fun because you can get on a lot of skis.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna