• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dashing through the snow...

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About a week ago I saw highlighted on a local news channel and upcoming event in Denver called the Jingle Bell Run. My interest was piqued and then I found out that the beneficiary of the run is the Arthritis Foundation. As some of you may know my mother has battled rheumatoid arthritis for over 20 years. I grew up with my mom in severe pain, wearing all sorts of braces, getting gold shots and just never feeling very good. I decided that this was an event that I wanted to support so I signed up.

What I didn't know then was that a frigid arctic storm would descend upon Colorado and the weather would be less than optimal. On Friday they were saying snow and 19 degrees which would be chilly but not unbearable. I went out and bought some YakTrax so I wouldn't slip and get hurt. When I awoke this morning temps were a bit cooler than expected. 3 degrees with a wind chill of -11 to be exact. So I gathered an extra layer, added my balaclava to the mix and headed on down to Washington Park, fully expecting the run to be canceled. But it wasn't and turnout was pretty good. After picking up my bib and timing chip I stayed warm in my car until about 15 minutes before the start when I headed out to the start line after checking the temps one last time and learning it was currently -1 with a feels like of -15. :eek: People were starting to gather, bouncing up and down to try to ward off the chill.

Just before the start time the announcer came on and told of us a woman present that has RA and who's entire team had bailed on her but she was there. Knowing what the cold does to my mom I cheered loudly for her, quite impressed with her fortitude.

The run was only a 5k but at such cold temperatures it definitely took it's toll on me. Especially since I realized just before the start that I'd left my inhaler at home and cold air really has an effect on my asthma. :rolleyes: But, in the end, I did the run, in a slow but not horrid time (and I wasn't last!) considering the 2 weeks I had to take off for being ill in the last month. More than that, I realized that rather than being afraid of running events as I have been in the past I now enjoy them. And, finally, I realized that as I walked away that I could have kept doing my run/walk rhythm and I was not spent. My legs wanted to carry me further and faster than my lungs did on this run but given the lack of an inhaler and the frigid cold air I'm not surprised.

The only real unfortunate part is I think the cold weather running had a bigger effect on my poor legs and I'm more sore than normal this evening so I'm cutting out my spin tonight.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:hail::hail::hail::hail:

Robyn, you are an amazing person.

I think you can skip the spinning tonight. :rolleyes:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not amazing just stubborn. Really it ended up being fun and I'll make up for the missed spin tonight. :smile:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good job! My friend Sonja (the super rock-star triathlete) took second place in the race. My therapist was also supposed to be running it, but she may have chickened out considering she was being a wuss about the predicted 15* temp on Thursday. :p I'm just glad Chilly Cheeks was Saturday! :bag:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I gotta echo SD.....you are f'ing AMAZING!!! :clap:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
KUDOS

Thanks for the update and kudos for hanging in there for the run for a great cause.:dancing:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna