• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dara Torres

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
So, I went to my local Y this morning to do a 3/4 mile recovery swim and picked up the New York Times on the way home. Inside the magazine section is a great article on Dara Torres, hoping to make the U.S. Olympic swim team at 41. The article is amazing and the full-torso picture of her is even more so. What an inspiration to those of us trying to hold on to our athletic selves as we hit 40 and 50. Now, she's got tremendous economic resources, and trains and travels with an entoruage of stretching coaches, massage therapists, and strength coaches, which none of us have (I'm guessing). But, she also has such tenacity and drive that it is awesome. Anyone else read the article? I think it can be accessed on-line.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't read it, but I'm always so impressed when "older" women manage to hold their own or surpass the teens/young adults that ordinarily make up competitive sports. Gives the rest of us hope that maybe we can still get out there and kick some butt!

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too saw the article and the picture! WOW what an inspiration :thumbsup::thumbsup: She is still setting records.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Olympic swim trials started being televised today - USA is showing them 2 or 3 nights this week.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dang. I bet she isn't all that pleasant to be around, though. So I'm not sure how inspirational she is to me.

Fernando TORRES scored the game-winning goal today in the European Soccer championships ... it's the name of the day.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
She did it, ladies! Dara Torres made the Olympic Team!

As if there was any doubt.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I think that her performance is likely to start a trend and make people rethink athletic accomplishment and training. In terms of her personality, the NYT article seemed to suggest she's driven, but very well-liked by other swimmers. I am sure we'll have "up close and personal" coverage of her throughout the games. Supposedly, she wasn't expecting to win the event last night, but simply wanted to swim fast enough to swim a leg of the relay team. My morning run was just a bit bouncier and inspired today!:clap:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A-Freakin-Mazing!!!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been following her all weekend, and am not tired of hearing how awesome she is doing. 5 Broken records, some of which were her own. Second place swimmer is 20 years younger. This woman is an inspiration.

Bklyn, I told you so!!
Over 40 is awesome!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw an interview on the Today show with her this morning and she seems really down to earth. I really do hope that some women (and men) do take notice that our bodies don't have to be relegated to the sofa at 40. Some of the most athletic, inspiring people I know are in their 50s and 60s.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone seen her picture on the cover of this week's Time magazine??? Holy smokes!!!!! What a fantastic body -- and I mean that in the most respectful way.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
That's the article, but the photo I'm referring to is on the cover of that issue (it's dated August 4)

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Darn it, I was hoping to find the pic online. Guess I'll have to go looking for the mag. Her body is incredible!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the cover:

2725341514_d8550e705c.jpg

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Yeah, holy crow, most 20-something females don't have a body like that. She gives us all something to aspire to.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
By now you all probably know she anchored the U.S. team for a silver in a relay; second fastest 50 of the evening; we somehow have got to make her an honorary Diva! I'm heading out for a 30 mile group ride. I certainly won't be whining!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
By now you all probably know she anchored the U.S. team for a silver in a relay; second fastest 50 of the evening; we somehow have got to make her an honorary Diva! I'm heading out for a 30 mile group ride. I certainly won't be whining!

She is inspiring and humbling at the same time. Wow!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna