• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dancers?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any other dancers here? That's pretty much all I do in my free time, other than skiing in the winter. My husband and I swing dance (lindy, balboa, charleston, etc.). I'm not all that great at it, but it's fun and good exercise!

I also tried to take up golf this summer, and that was pretty tragic. I actually managed to pull some muscles in my side/chest when I drove the club straight into the ground. Awesome. I play a mean game of putt-putt, but that doesn't translate to awesome golfing skills, apparently.

MonsteRawr

Certified Ski Diva
In another life I took 15-20 hours a week of dance classes. At one time in my life I actually had a sign a contract with the company I was with stating that we wouldn't participate in overly dangerous activities, including skiing! It's no wonder I didn't take my first ski lesson until I was 25!

merrydog

Angel Diva
Any other dancers here? That's pretty much all I do in my free time, other than skiing in the winter. My husband and I swing dance (lindy, balboa, charleston, etc.). I'm not all that great at it, but it's fun and good exercise!

I also tried to take up golf this summer, and that was pretty tragic. I actually managed to pull some muscles in my side/chest when I drove the club straight into the ground. Awesome. I play a mean game of putt-putt, but that doesn't translate to awesome golfing skills, apparently.

I'm a dancer too. I don't get much partner dancing as my boyfriend isn't too comfortable with it. So I take lots of ballet and modern classes.

I do think dance helps with balance and flexibility. All good skills for skiing.:thumbsup:

Vista freak

Angel Diva
Tap Dance and Zumba. DH does not dance. Looking forward to tapping again now that my volleyball league is over.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I learned tap in college, for musical theatre dance. TONS of fun. I also took 3 years of modern in high school and college.

I'm now taking hula/Polynesian again - I first took when I was a kid. I've mentioned elsewhere how surprised I was to find it is a good cross-training for skiing. And it too is a lot of fun, with ladies my age in what we call the "Gracious Ladies" class ("Makuahine"). The neat thing about a halau (hula school) is it really is one big ohana, or family.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did modern in high school and then mostly recently taught Zumba for several years. Gardenmary, how neat, hula is beautiful, haven't had a chance to try it though.

Mama Sue

Certified Ski Diva
I've done belly dance for quite a long time (30+ years now..), and supplemented that with flamenco and jazz when I could. I've sort of let it go recently, and am moving more towards activities I can do with the kids, but I still attend a workshop or perform a few times a year.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've done belly dance for quite a long time (30+ years now..), and supplemented that with flamenco and jazz when I could. I've sort of let it go recently, and am moving more towards activities I can do with the kids, but I still attend a workshop or perform a few times a year.
Wow that is amazing! I love flamenco! I also belly danced for several years, and last year took Sharqui instructor certification with Oreet, who is an amazing dance and educator.

Emy!Dee

Certified Ski Diva
I've been learning tango for almost 2 years now. It's such a relaxing dance. After working and making decisions all day, it's so relaxing to just close my eyes and listen and follow. I go to Triangulo in NYC, very intimate and authentic!

I've also tried Zumba, it was quite fun, but the classes in NYC are always packed elbow to elbow!

DailyBurn has a new dance program called MOVE!, so now I can dance in the privacy of my own home! It's not just latin and pop/techno music (which has been all my zumba classes). It's a lot of fun! :smile:

B

B.E.G.

I've done zumba for a couple years now, but recently quit my gym (the classes have been going downhill and wasn't worth the expensive monthly fees just to use the treadmill, which I have at my apartment complex). However, I just began adult contemporary ballet classes! It's so hard - I've never done ballet before. It's really fun though and my class is super small (4 people). I'd like to add a jazz class this summer as well.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
However, I just began adult contemporary ballet classes! It's so hard - I've never done ballet before. It's really fun though and my class is super small (4 people). I'd like to add a jazz class this summer as well.

I've been toying with the idea of signing up for an adult beginner ballet class, in addition to my gymnastics classes. I took a very. very minimal amount of ballet as a kid because our gymnastics coach made us, but remember pretty much nothing from it. And I'm pretty sure our ballet teacher let us get away with some pretty crappy ballet technique since it wasn't an official ballet class, but more of a ballet for gymnasts thing.

altagirl

Staff member
Just came across this thread. I think I can call myself something of a dancer these days, as I've been doing bellydance for about 2 years, and took up ballet this fall. Now I'm taking 3 classes a week - two ballet classes and a bellydance class every week. Plus CardioBarre - which isn't really dance, but definitely helps with conditioning for ballet exercises. I'm definitely having fun with it! I used to think that dance was something I'd never be able to do, but like with everything - practice enough and it comes!

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I grew up taking ballet from about ages 3 to 13. Took a break in high school to run track and then resumed dancing in college, mostly modern. After that it's been mostly exercise-based classes like Zumba and Bollywood. Dance will always be my first love, and it's pretty important to me to be in involved in some sort of movement + music class at any point in my life. It's good for the soul! I've been looking into CardioBarre and Pure Barre, and hope that a location will open up closer to home. Glad to hear that other have enjoyed it.

When ski instructors ask about what sort of sports or physical activities we have participated in, I always mention dance. The balance, grace, kinesthetic awareness, and proprioception obtained through dance never really leave the body (I think), and are the kind of qualities that have no finish line in obtaining, so are always a worthy endeavor, no matter one's age. Dancers make WONDERFUL skiers :smile:

merrydog

Angel Diva
Nice share Vicki. She's a fabulous belly dancer.

I took one belly dance class and enjoyed it but just can't fit in all the types of dance I would like to do (plus, I've got to ski in the winter!). Speaking of dance types, my friends and I took a pole dancing class. It was hoots of fun and you really use your arms and torso. One more thing to add to the dance wishlist.

altagirl

Staff member
Nice share Vicki. She's a fabulous belly dancer.

I took one belly dance class and enjoyed it but just can't fit in all the types of dance I would like to do (plus, I've got to ski in the winter!). Speaking of dance types, my friends and I took a pole dancing class. It was hoots of fun and you really use your arms and torso. One more thing to add to the dance wishlist.

I went on a yoga/dance retreat to Costa Rica last Jan. (Going again this year too! ) It was mostly belly dance but we did one day of salsa/bachata, which was fun. I'd love to learn that too, but like you. . . No idea where that would fit in my schedule!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Only at home by myself. Seriously, I tried to take a dance class in college and they actually kicked me out I was so bad. If I could dance and sing I would though.

altagirl

Staff member
Only at home by myself. Seriously, I tried to take a dance class in college and they actually kicked me out I was so bad. If I could dance and sing I would though.

Trust me, if they kicked people out of the classes I go to, I'd have gotten the boot as well! Thankfully the classes I go to have NO minimum skill level!!

chsparkles

Diva in Training

Square dancing is good for all ages, singles and couples. Classes are taught all over the world. Also Round Dancing is great for couples where the man is not confident in his ability to lead or think of what to do next. It is ballroom dancing with a cuer telling everybody what to do. It includes all rhythms. I also sing in a women's barbershop chorus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly