• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Custom Footbeds?

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi All, I'm considering investing in custom footbeds. Are they worth it, and does anyone have wisdom to share about the different types of footbed? Seems like there are quite a few methods and I'm wondering if one is better than the other. Cheers!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Yes, it’s worth it. I just had my second pair made (because I stupidly used the dry stick heater with the old pair and caused damage to them.) Without my custom footbeds, I have a really hard time with stability, and with keeping my heels in the right place inside my boots.

I can’t advise on type. I prefer to find a bootfitter that I trust and let him/her do their thing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's my custom footbed story . . . I got heat moldable footbeds with my second pair of good boots just about eight years ago. Bought those boots from a local ski shop (central NC) after learning more about the process from online ski forums. The footbeds were $140 during late season sales. I had no regrets. For the first season I was still using my old boots (had Walk mode) when taking my daughter and her friends for ski weekends locally. I would transfer the footbeds.

Don't know the footbed brand but my bootfitter is a member of America's Best Bootfitters. Travels for boot fitting clinics every so often. About four years ago I decided to upgrade my boots because my technique and fitness had improved significantly. I moved the footbeds into my current boots.

At the beginning of this season, I had the Intuition liners from my previous boots re-molded to my current boots. The stock liners were nice but had packed out. Things were okay but not quite right. When I was at Taos last week, I stopped in for a consultation at the Boot Doctors. They have 4-5 experienced boot fitters on staff all season. When the boot fitter pulled out my footbeds, it was obvious they were starting to crack. So I opted to get new footbeds for about $200.

Between the Intuition liners and the footbeds, I expect to keep using the boot shells for at least a couple more years. Re-molding the liners cost $35. So the equivalent of new boots for under $250.

In short, I think custom footbeds are worthwhile for someone who is investing time and money getting properly fitted for ski boots.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A different footbed story for folks on a tight budget . . . a few years ago I bought a pair for very lightly used ski boots for under $100 for my adult niece. She's a petite dancer with big calves so rental boots never really fit that well. She only skis a few days a year at most, so buying fitted boots didn't make sense. She skied with me and my daughter for a day at Whiteface during early season. Boots fit better than rentals but one wasn't quite right. We went to one of the LP ski shops with a good boot fitter. He assessed the situation and noted that she has high arches that needed more support. His suggestion was basic heat moldable footbeds for about $40.

After the molding, the good foot was still perfectly happy. The other was better but the footbed needed a trim at the heel. Better but not quite. Another trim. Almost. One more trim. When she put on the boot the last time, the look on her face said it all. Her arch was being properly supported and her toes were no longer felt bad.

I think the footbeds were SOLE, but not positive.

Not suggesting SOLE (or another relative cheap moldable footbed) for someone who is investing in good boots. But the experience of my niece certainly made it clear to me that a custom footbed can make a big difference.

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
I got custom footbeds and I am very happy with them. I can’t speak to the type/methods because we have a guy on the patrol that does them. But I do like them and strongly believe they make a difference. Especially if you have a difficult foot and issues with boot fitting.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love my custom foot beds. I was fitted at boot pro in Ludlow VT (Okemo), and the footbeds weren't cheap. That said, I have a skeletal deformity in one of my hips that has caused some interesting alignment issues, and I have very mobile joints, so I really did need to be properly aligned and stabilized, and I feel much safer skiing now.
I would have a serious talk with your fitter about exactly what issues the footbeds will correct to help determine if it's necessary for you.
Also keep in mind that it is completely possible to have discomfort from footbeds that overcorrect alignment. If you've never been properly aligned you probably haven't developed the muscles needed to balance like that. I highly recommend finding a good shop near your home hill so that if you need something adjusted during the day it's feasible.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had custom footbeds for almost 10 years. Sorry, but I have no idea of the brand. I need custom footbeds because my feet are so different from each other. One size does not fit both. I need the arch support to prevent the pain that comes from over tightening the boot and flattening my arch.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the knowledge everyone! As usual, you all are a treasure chest of information.

I reached out to my boot fitter and found out they use the instaprint method. And, because I bought my boots from them, they only cost $125 which sounds like a great deal. Hoping to have a pair made the end of this month, along with adding a Booster strap. Might just be a whole new boot experience... can't wait to give them a go!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Never realized there are so many custom heat-moldable footbeds used in ski boots. Sticking a few references here for future readers. The price range seems to be $40-250, but clearly footbeds under $100 are different materials and structure than those over $175. I'm guessing, but I think most boot fitters carry more than one footbed option.

Overview with no brand names, definition of related terminology.
https://www.evo.com/guides/how-to-choose-ski-snowboard-footbeds-insoles

MasterFit and America's Best Bootfitters seems to have a connection to Instaprint.
https://masterfitinc.com/instaprint/

My boot fitter in NC uses Sidas and Conform'able.
https://www.sidas.com/en/products/217-winter-custom-comfort.html

These Conform'able footbeds (red and black) look exactly what I got when I bought my previous boots. They lasted about eight years, average 40 ski days per season.
https://www.bergsskishop.com/footbeds-p34185c3259.html

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly