• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Curious About Twin Tips

sdskiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thinking about adding twin tips to my ski quiver, but I'm not sure if they're worth it for me. I love the bumps and ski them more often than I ski anything else, but I would still like a ski that will do reasonably well in everything else. I usually ski a Volkl 4 Star which I find really fun because they're so light and quick. Now that the Colorado drought is over I've added the Queen Attiva's to my quiver for powder days, but they're not as quick in the bumps. Which brings me to my curiosity over the twin tips. Like the idea of a softer flex for the bumps, wider platform for powder and I've heard the Line Celebrity ski has pretty good edge grip. Being 52 years old, 5'4, 120 lbs. I'm pretty small and light, byt still pretty athletic, even for my age (ex-body builder). Can anyone give me some imput on twin tips or any other ski?

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year I bought K2 MissDemeanors. They are a true twin, 80 underfoot. I love that they are quick and responsive (read: super fun in the bumps) and have enough of a sidecut to still be reliable on the groomers. They are stiff enough to cut through crud and have plenty of spring for quick maneuvers. At 80 underfoot, I feel comfortable skiing in all types of conditions, although in real deep powder, you have to work to keep the tips up :smile:. At least 10 times times last year, I spent 10 minutes of the drive home raving about how much I love my skis.

I've not skied Line skis, but my husband has been skiing them for years. His Lines have held up well and he knows how to abuse them. The Celebrities are 90 underfoot, so you may find that you have an overlap in your quiver since the Queen Attiva is 87ish.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Be careful going too soft for bumps. Some stiffness gives you good "pop" and transition.

I had the K2 Nancy and they were AWFUL twin tips because they were too soft. That being said...I loved the twin tips for tight spots and the occasional times you have to traverse back in tight chutes and such.

But yeah...watch the stiffness. The Nancy's were like wet noodles.

sdskiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the input about too soft a ski. Maybe that's why I really don't like the Queens in the bumps because they lack the liveliness and pop that I fund so much fun. The Queens are great in the powder, no doubt, but even on powder days I can find bumps - and therefore find myself in a quandry! Possibly the K2 Misdemeanor might be a solution as people have said they still have quickness and pop and are able to handle powder just fine. I've also read some reviews about the Line Celebrities where people love their stability and liveliness.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Karma (same dimensions as the Queen) but much stiffer, and love it for all conditions except true midwest/eastern hardpack. It's become my go-to ski for most anything but ice and racing (when hubby can get me off the Auras :redface:).

sdskiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Took a look at the Karma - great raves about it's ability in bumps, but, alas, they don't come in a size I can deal with as I usually ski a 154 length. Am I cheating myself out of a great experience by staying on a short ski? I am really comfortable on a 154, however, my husband always gets so far ahead of me in the flats that my arms are getting the biggest workout polling light crazy to catch up to him (but I do kick his a#@$ on the steeps). Being only 5'4 and pretty light don't want to get any longer than 160.

skigrl27

Took a look at the Karma - great raves about it's ability in bumps, but, alas, they don't come in a size I can deal with as I usually ski a 154 length. Am I cheating myself out of a great experience by staying on a short ski? I am really comfortable on a 154, however, my husband always gets so far ahead of me in the flats that my arms are getting the biggest workout polling light crazy to catch up to him (but I do kick his a#@$ on the steeps). Being only 5'4 and pretty light don't want to get any longer than 160.

Where do the tips go up to on your face? I like my skis right at eye level-ish - possibly taller. And yes...you could definitely be missing out on some fun with too-short skis.

sdskiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I believe they hit right about nose level at 154. Sounds like I have some room to add some length. I was thinking about going up to a 160 - definitely would like to carry more speed on the flater stuff but don't want to compromise the manuverability I like in a shorter ski. I'm thinking from 154 to 160 is a modest but definitely manageable jump in length.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I could be wrong (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am!) but I think twin tips tend to ski a little shorter than their actual length because the length is measured from tip to tip, but the actual skiable length is not that long, kwim?

Just for reference, I'm 5'7 and approx 135, and I bought Lady Hart Twin Tips in 167s a month or so ago. Obviously, I haven't skiied them yet, but they're actually about the same length as my K2s that I've been on for the last 8 years.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Itri is correct -- you can size up on twin tips. I've had a pair of Troublemakers for three years -- just bought my daughter last year's Troubled Youths. I use them to teach and in trees; I like the lightness and the softness. They don't hold speed on groomers at all. I also think they are too soft to handle the usual east coast crusty bump well. I also do boxes and jump on them. Mine aren't center mounted -- you probably wouldn't want them center mounted either.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
itri is totally correct.

I have a pair of Dynastar Marie Martinod Pro Models (which, IIRC, are the same as the She's Trouble with different graphics) and I LOVE those skis. Other than hardpack, they are AWESOME. I convinced myself at some point last season that I needed a "quiver" but honestly, they've done me right just about every time I've skied them. I can't complain. And they were cheap on eBay, too. $200 for skis + Look bindings. Can't go wrong.

If I could have scored a similar deal on Line Celebrities, I would have gotten them. But these Dynastars are working out well for me. Good luck!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To give you some idea on sizing......my carvers range from 155 to 168cm. My twins are all 176-177. Twins tend to feel and ski at least 5-10cm shorter than they really are.

56skibum

Diva In Training, Regional Alliance Member,K2
I love it when someone raves about the MissDemeanors - they are very underrated for all that they can do. I have One-Luvs and luv them and thought the MD's would be that second ski for special occasions, and ended up using them 50/50 with the OneLuvs. I used to think twin twips were only for skiing park/pipe, but no, they are a great all around ski. K2 Rocks.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Interesting thread about twin tips and bumps. Being a twin tip skier, and having gone to a mogul camp this summer, I've accumulated some observations about skis and bumps.

Most of the coaches, and many of the campers at ski camp were on twin tips. Most popular were Misdemeanors, PE's (both K2), Salomon Foil, and Movement Joysticks.

One of the best women bump skiers in my camp used K2 Misdemeanors. She rocked those skis in the bumps. So, there ya go about them....:becky:

I have the Line Celebrities and I brought them to mogul camp with me, along with a pair of Hart mogul skis. (Keep in mind that I am NOT a good bump skier). The Lines, although one of my absolute favorite skis, are not the best in bumps. 90mm width is a little wide....80 is better. And I think they were just a tad too stiff. They carve great on my Eastern hardpack, but you don't have to worry about that in Colorado. (OK, I'm jealous!)

You want flexibility, but pop, so you don't want a noodly ski. K2 Misdemeanors, or the K2 PE are good choices (the PE is the "male" version of the Misdemeanor, I think). Also, Dynastar twins in about a 78-80 width have been rated as great in bumps. I picked up a pair of Dynastar Nothing But Troubles (78mm wide) on Ebay for $120. Severine's Marie Martinods are also great.

Go 5-10cm longer for twin tips. My "normal" skis are 166-167cm; my twins range from 172-177cm. (I'm 5'10" 160lb).

Also, Google "twin tips skis in moguls" and see what hits you get. There is some info. out there on the web about how these skis perform in moguls.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good to know! I've only slightly dabbled on the edges of the easy bumps at my local ski hill, but I wasn't sure if the Maries would be a deterrent. DH insisted they were not and so he can now be supported by your observation. :D

Looking forward to checking that out for myself next season! :D

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a sucky bump skier, but my Karmas and my Auras just seem to make skiing them so much easier (except for the rock-hard Volkswagens we get here). They're soft enough to just curl around the bumps without kicking back and that flipped-up tail releases the turn with just a thought. Plus, the twin makes it easier to bail by sideslipping or doing a falling leaf, or just back sliding, if you find yourself in over your head.

skigrl27

Yeah I skied my Mantras in 170 through the bumps like a champ this season. And they are big and burly and stiff - I cannot WAIT to try my new Auras out in them for just a wee bit of forgiveness. I'm hoping that after skiing bumps with Mantras a bit - that the Auras will really pick up my game. I'm hell bent on totally mastering the bumps. Something about seeing a really awesome chick bump skier that kicks A$$.

I'll get there!!

but back to topic - neither of those skis are twins and I really think that's where Volkl dropped the ball because that is the only thing these skis are missing. Maybe not a true twin, but just a bit in the back would make them 100% the best ski ever. Oh...that and

HEY VOLKL - WHAT'S UP WITH NO 177'S THIS SEASON?? WHY NO LOVE FOR THE BIG GIRLS?

regardless i settled for 170's

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
HEY VOLKL - WHAT'S UP WITH NO 177'S THIS SEASON?? WHY NO LOVE FOR THE BIG GIRLS?

That's what I thought, too, which is why I sprung for a pair of 2007's when I found them. I also noticed that some other manufacturers, like Line and Armada, have shortened their longest women's twin tip....like 168. Too short! Us taller/bigger gals are getting shortchanged!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna