• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Crystal Mt, 15/16

Christy

Angel Diva
We've only had 3 days without snow in December. Crystal (and Baker) have gotten 19-20 feet so far this season. So nice to be back to normal! And when El Nino kicks in at least we'll have the base. I really like this photo that local photographer Jason Hummel took the other day.

886286_10153890236593408_6547503653916539106_o.jpg

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did like them when I demoed, but those skis had demo bindings, and I think that made a difference. Or, maybe I was having a great day. Actually I demoed them for 2 days at Sun Valley. And liked them both days. Hmm, maybe I like these best on steep terrain--maybe that forces me forward. I don't know. I have so many issues with my skiing that don't take the fact that I am having trouble with the BPs as an indictment of them. I'm also on the 166, and I'm 116 lbs and not strong or aggressive. Maybe that's too long, even with the rocker.

At 116 you may be a bit light for the 166s, as you say, even with the rocker. Did you demo on groomers or in powder? That also may have been the difference.

Thanks for posting the glorious pictures. I'm sitting here listening to freezing rain, so I am happy to see real snow. At least it's finally cold enough for freezing rain. :doh:

Christy

Angel Diva
At 116 you may be a bit light for the 166s, as you say, even with the rocker. Did you demo on groomers or in powder? That also may have been the difference.

I took a lesson at Whistler the other day and the instructor told me that squirrely tips are common on rockered skis when they are on firmer surfaces. And it is on groomers, especially when it's firm, where it feels like so much work to engage the tips. I hadn't actually heard complaints about rockered skiers on groomers--aren't all skis rockered to some extent now?--but it is true that I like my skis better in crud, off piste, etc.

Christy

Angel Diva
I was so sure that everyone in the entire Puget Sound area would have their butts parked in front of the tv for the 10 am Seahawks playoff game that I talked my early rising, early to go skiing husband into leaving so that we *only* arrived there at official opening and not an hour early as he likes (Crystal often/usually starts spinning early, so while it's supposed to be 9 it's often 8:15). Since it would be empty why get up extra early to be there extra early? BWAH HA HA. Apparently 35 or so inches of new snow is better than the Seahawks. So it was plenty busy and the upper lifts were all on wind hold so we stood in lines at the single non-beginner operating lift. If we'd come early, we could have beat some of that of course and at least gotten a couple runs in before lines built up. Sigh. Runs weren't crowded though--it's amazing how well people at Crystal disperse, even on days like this. Snow was soft and deep, too deep for me in spots. Some upper lifts got rolling at 11, others stayed shut due to avy blasting.

Soft pillowy snow.
12540775_10208308789743560_76010992855017894_n.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
For the last 6 weeks or so the snow level has been very inconsistent, so we'll get snow, then rain, or vice versa. People that don't have to work or are very flexible have had some great ski days but for the rest of us, it's been a crapshoot. So it's really nice to see a whole week of snow and consistently cold temps! Crystal already said they'll be on limited operations tomorrow due to high winds predicted in the storm, but this might be a week to take a hooky day.

Screenshot_2016-03-12-21-07-26.png

Screenshot_2016-03-12-21-07-44.png

I am all in the name of playing hooky for some good skiing, do it.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've had the same issue here, too. Warm warm warm. This next storm (must be the same one!) is also going to be nice and cold here. My husband is already planning to take Tuesday off to ski with me :thumbsup:

Christy

Angel Diva
Crystal has a new, female ski patrol director--Kim Kircher. I think @ski diva has written about her in her blog. In any case, I never really thought about what it means for a woman to have the job; as this article puts it, "Being the patrol director means managing daily 33 type A patrollers who all have a strong opinions on how to set up rope lines, move tower pads, run accidents, and pretty much open the mountain in the mornings."

Our New Crystal Mountain Patrol Director
ON MARCH 11, 2016 BY MICHELLE LONGSTRETH
kim_patrol.jpg

Kim doing what she does best!

The Crystal Mountain Ski Patrol is proud to announce a new patrol director. Kim Kircher is stepping up to fill some big shoes and we are all excited to be here when she does. Paul Baugher, who has steered this large ship of patrol for the past 35 years is planning on retiring from the director position while staying involved with many other aspects of Crystal Mountain. Paul has been an incredible director here and will still be on the hill in case you need a laugh or good advice. I could go on about Paul’s achievements and contributions to Crystal but I’m looking forward, and want to highlight what this changing of the guards will bring to Crystal. Kim Kircher has been patrolling for 26 years and skiing Crystal for 40 years. She is an author, EMT, has a BA from UW, world traveler, mountain climber, surfer, sky diver, co-pilot, heli blaster, and all round wonderful person. Kim has a tremendous amount of experience as a patroller and is constantly working to make things at Crystal even better than they already are. If you are one of the heads up skiers here who look for Tweets or Facebook notifications of South opening on a deep pow day that is because of Kim’s communication from patrol to our skiers. Kim also writes the Ski Patrol Blog which gives everyone inside information about the going-ons at Crystal. Being the patrol director means managing daily 33 type A patrollers who all have a strong opinions on how to set up rope lines, move tower pads, run accidents, and pretty much open the mountain in the mornings. This challenge is something Kim is taking on with positive energy and patience, two traits she lives by. On a personal note, I have worked with Kim for ten years and there is no one I’d rather have by my side during an emergency or on a beautiful sunny powder day.

Jess S.

Diva in Training
I hope to go to Crystal this year. We have a pass at Stevens and thought about a pass at Crystal but I've been turned off by the higher price. I hope to go there this Spring - I've heard Crystal can stay open pretty late in the Spring?

Christy

Angel Diva
From the website:

We are open daily until April 17th will reopen Memorial Day weekend for sightseeing on the Mt. Rainier Gondola and skiing in Green Valley. That's right, summer skiing is back! Thanks to almost 500 inches this season the snow will stick around at the higher elevations for a while so we might as well take advantage of it. We plan to run the Green Valley chair for skiing and snowboarding on weekends starting May 28th into July or as long as conditions allow.

So Green Valley is just one lift that goes up a bowl; it's fun terrain, and the view from the top is killer. But it's only one lift. This weekend's forecast looks good at the moment...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From the website:

We are open daily until April 17th will reopen Memorial Day weekend for sightseeing on the Mt. Rainier Gondola and skiing in Green Valley. That's right, summer skiing is back! Thanks to almost 500 inches this season the snow will stick around at the higher elevations for a while so we might as well take advantage of it. We plan to run the Green Valley chair for skiing and snowboarding on weekends starting May 28th into July or as long as conditions allow.

So Green Valley is just one lift that goes up a bowl; it's fun terrain, and the view from the top is killer. But it's only one lift. This weekend's forecast looks good at the moment...
This could entice me to road trip to visit my brother in Seattle in June, and toss the skis in! :thumbsup:

Christy

Angel Diva
I got to ski here with @Olesya Chornoguz today! It was a beautiful day and the snow was (mostly) soft, and then it got cruddy, but it was nice to have soft stuff under me after all the hard stuff I got last trip to Sun Valley. I only got to ski half a day but I'm glad I got to see Olesya and I'm glad the weather was good so she could see the views. Also, it was demo day and that was fun. I ended up liking the Nordica Santa Ana, the new Blizzard Black Pearl but in 159 (my current are 166 and it was made very clear today that I should be on 159s) and the Volkl Kenja.

LL

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got to ski here with @Olesya Chornoguz today! It was a beautiful day and the snow was (mostly) soft, and then it got cruddy, but it was nice to have soft stuff under me after all the hard stuff I got last trip to Sun Valley. I only got to ski half a day but I'm glad I got to see Olesya and I'm glad the weather was good so she could see the views. Also, it was demo day and that was fun. I ended up liking the Nordica Santa Ana, the new Blizzard Black Pearl but in 159 (my current are 166 and it was made very clear today that I should be on 159s) and the Volkl Kenja.

LL
You have excellent taste in skis (we like the same skis!) ski buddies, and mountains! I have Santa Anas on the way, and of course like the Kenjas that I bought earlier, and am glad you decided the shorter BP's were better.
Did you ski any others?

Christy

Angel Diva
You have excellent taste in skis (we like the same skis!) ski buddies, and mountains! I have Santa Anas on the way, and of course like the Kenjas that I bought earlier, and am glad you decided the shorter BP's were better.
Did you ski any others?

Oh, interesting! If you ever demo any other skis you like, you'll have to let me know. I also tried the Nordica...I think the Belle to Belle? One of the skinnier Belles. It wasn't substantial enough.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna