• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Crystal Mt, 15/16

Christy

Angel Diva
Crystal got 18 inches of snow this weekend, but I couldn't go this weekend so I suddenly wasn't feeling well enough to go to work today *cough cough*. Powder flu, you know. Snow was really, really nice, and coverage is very good except for in a few spots at the base. Everything is open. One more good dump, sci-fi is coming this week, and it will be typical regular season conditions. The clouds and light were quite dramatic. The peaks played peekaboo in the swirling clouds, though mostly they stayed hidden.
rsz_att_1450140496444_20151214_122426_2.jpg

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
Not great. I have to work so dang hard to stay forward and engage the tips that it's more work than fun, really. Next time I ski I'm going to demo. I almost wonder if the BPs are too long for me. I've had problems with them the whole time, though I've also had some good days on them so :noidea:. I know it could also be me--it's entirely possible the BPs won't let me get away without being exactly as much tits-over-toes as I should be. And I know I should be more forward than I'm inclined to be. Maybe my other skis weren't as fussy about my position. But dang I gotta work to keep these skis from being squirrely!

mustski

Angel Diva
I am thrilled that WA is getting good snow - and OR and NoCal also! With El Nino, that can be dicey. Definitely demo some skis. Not all skis work for everybody. If the BP's aren't working for you, it's probably just not the right ski.

Christy

Angel Diva
Apparently we have really good early seasons in El Nino years--it doesn't really kick in here until January. Thus I felt justified in calling in sick to ski--gotta get the good stuff while I can. :smile:

I fully support the powder flu. Pictures looked gorgeous. Good luck demoing if you decide to give the BP's a rest. Did you like them when you bought them or as your love for them waned over time, just curious.

Christy

Angel Diva
I did like them when I demoed, but those skis had demo bindings, and I think that made a difference. Or, maybe I was having a great day. Actually I demoed them for 2 days at Sun Valley. And liked them both days. Hmm, maybe I like these best on steep terrain--maybe that forces me forward. I don't know. I have so many issues with my skiing that don't take the fact that I am having trouble with the BPs as an indictment of them. I'm also on the 166, and I'm 116 lbs and not strong or aggressive. Maybe that's too long, even with the rocker.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What length did you demo them in? I absolutely think it's the ramp angle and/or binding mounting point. The ramp angle you can change with "shims" under the heel piece or toe piece of the binding. It's worth asking about. Weren't you also playing with heel lifts in your boots? I'd honestly try to put those back in at the expense of quad pain to see how they affect how you ski.

The good news is, those skis have a great resale value!

And I of course as a native Washingtonian with my entire family still living there, am THRILLED that the snow has returned! My brother is also happy that he can ski up there this winter :thumbsup:

Christy

Angel Diva
Crystal doesn't get crowded according to most definitions of crowded. It's not empty, but it's 2600 acres, and people really spread out. Lodges can get crowded at lunch. On Sunday, the first real powder day of the season, Rob did stand in one 15 minute lift line and there was a big line up at the base before the lifts started, but other than that there weren't really lines. And none for me on a Monday of course. One nice thing for an average skier like me is that Crystal skiers are good, and most people don't spend their time on the blue terrain. I do avoid the week between Xmas and New Year.

Okay, I was curious and it looks like the most skier visits Crystal has ever gotten was 361k back in 2003. Let's forget last year when conditions were bad but the year before they got about 230k. That's a pretty nice number for 2600 acres. That same year Stevens got about 406k on 1125 acres. That's why I go to Crystal not Stevens.

It's worth the drive for you, if that's what you're thinking about. You can actually even stay at a (mediocre) hotel right at the base! In WA!

Christy

Angel Diva
I absolutely think it's the ramp angle and/or binding mounting point.

Interesting. My fitter hates binding ramp angles and is always harping on them, because he thinks we should all have the freedom to adjust our boots rather than having our bindings tell us how far forward to be. Are you thinking that I would benefit from more ramp angle? These have, I think, 3 mm. My Lottas did have more.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm all over it but have to convince DH.

This weekend sounds like it will be very good. And everyone will be busy with Xmas parties and stuff, I bet. Here's the forecast (Crystal base is 4000'):

Wednesday night a weather system comes in from Oregon and from the west. The snow will fall throughout the NW for 36 hours, dumping 1- 2ft of snow with a 2000-3000ft snow level. The SL will bounce up for a few hours to 4000ft Thursday afternoon, but no worries, as it backs down quickly, Thursday night. Expect to ski in the snow all day Thursday. Winds may be an issue at times. I like Friday, as the storm calms down, snow ends and SL bottoms out. That is my pick - a powder morning. I do like Saturday too, with a weather break and super groomers, all with quality snow leftovers. It will be sweet. A new system on Sunday with continuing low snow levels (2000ft) will with produce another powder day with 6-12" of new.

The snow conditions are already very good. These new systems will set us up perfectly for the upcoming holiday throughout the NW. Plus weather models indicate more new snow over the two week holiday time slot.

MissySki

Angel Diva
This weekend sounds like it will be very good. And everyone will be busy with Xmas parties and stuff, I bet. Here's the forecast (Crystal base is 4000'):

Wednesday night a weather system comes in from Oregon and from the west. The snow will fall throughout the NW for 36 hours, dumping 1- 2ft of snow with a 2000-3000ft snow level. The SL will bounce up for a few hours to 4000ft Thursday afternoon, but no worries, as it backs down quickly, Thursday night. Expect to ski in the snow all day Thursday. Winds may be an issue at times. I like Friday, as the storm calms down, snow ends and SL bottoms out. That is my pick - a powder morning. I do like Saturday too, with a weather break and super groomers, all with quality snow leftovers. It will be sweet. A new system on Sunday with continuing low snow levels (2000ft) will with produce another powder day with 6-12" of new.

The snow conditions are already very good. These new systems will set us up perfectly for the upcoming holiday throughout the NW. Plus weather models indicate more new snow over the two week holiday time slot.

I am sooooo green with envy right now, just saying.. :jealous:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting. My fitter hates binding ramp angles and is always harping on them, because he thinks we should all have the freedom to adjust our boots rather than having our bindings tell us how far forward to be. Are you thinking that I would benefit from more ramp angle? These have, I think, 3 mm. My Lottas did have more.

Maybe. Or maybe less ramp angle. It's one of those things you kind of have to fiddle with. I am finding with my new boots that I like heel lifts in the boots but a very flat binding delta. It's worth discussing with your boot fitter for sure!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna