• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cross Country Skiing

chaletlaforet

Certified Ski Diva
We're going to be on holiday with my better half's parents (among others!) this New Year. They would very much like to try cross-country skiing.

I've only ever tried it once, up in the Arctic Circle, and really enjoyed it. But I was wondering if any of you might have more experience, and advice?

His mother is very active, and I don't think will have problems, but his father suffers from arthritis. There are very pretty, flat green cross-country ski trails nearby, and they walked along them in summer with no problems - do you think they would be able to ski them? Would they need lessons? What should they wear? I found I was too hot in my usual gear....

All advice/thoughts would be very welcome....

Jilly

Staff member
A one hour lesson would be a good idea. The main problem with X-country is co-ordination and stopping. Sounds like downhill. But the skills are different. Snowplowing with a free heel is different that our usual downhill ski and boot combo. As for clothes, yeah you don't need your downhill suit. Lighten up to spring type stuff and layers. Take a backpack and it can take the extra stuff as it comes off. If you stop, you'll need the warmer stuff back on. You can work up a sweat in no time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna