• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Covid Vaccine advice/Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I have heard all kinds of bad side effects like serious fatigue,breast lumps,high fevers,nausea,arm pain,muscle pain etc.

I'll add that there are things you can do to lessen side effects...yes, some of it may happen regardless, but boosting your odds are always helpful (both for the actual science and the placebo-effect). Hydrating is the best thing you can do, drink lots of water and electrolytes (1-2 days before and after). Stay away from alcohol (or anything that will dehydrate you). Get your blood flowing in your arm before and just after. Continuing to use and move your arm if it becomes sore. Cold compresses help too. And over the counter pain relief as needed (if you're not allergic or have reactions, of course).

altagirl

Staff member
I'll add that there are things you can do to lessen side effects...yes, some of it may happen regardless, but boosting your odds are always helpful (both for the actual science and the placebo-effect). Hydrating is the best thing you can do, drink lots of water and electrolytes (1-2 days before and after). Stay away from alcohol (or anything that will dehydrate you). Get your blood flowing in your arm before and just after. Continuing to use and move your arm if it becomes sore. Cold compresses help too. And over the counter pain relief as needed (if you're not allergic or have reactions, of course).
I did all those things minus the OTC pain relief. In fact, I splurged on a stockpile of fancy turmeric drinks and fresh pineapple and lots of veggies and whatnot in attempt to hydrate and eat antinflammatory foods. Who knows if it helped but it didn't hurt.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you ladies for all of this advice.. It’s just scary being alone and if something bad happens from a drug reaction there is no one to help. Being sick is my biggest fear, I value my health so much especially after my moms cancer and watching her go through it.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you're making a good decision. Even though you're isolated from others one never knows what might happen. I live on a corner lot next to a street that comes to a T. Earlier this summer I was working in the front yard, about 20 ft from the intersection. I heard squealing tires and looked around. A car had pulled out in front of an oncoming pickup truck. Fortunately, the driver of the truck saw the car in time and was able to stop. I don't know if the line of travel would have pushed the car into my yard and into me but I'm glad I didn't have to find out.
Also, last summer my brother had an issue with his diabetes. Then he fell and hit his head. He was in and out of hospitals and care centers for several months. I was so worried he would get Covid. With diabetes and a head injury he probably wouldn't have survived.
Don't wait, the cleaning will be there. Your health is more important.
My biggest fear is being alone too. My SO and I decided that if one of us got Covid the other would go to our condo to protect ourselves. But then we couldn't figure out who would take care of the sick person. Any health care worker, neighbor or my nephew would be exposed. We just couldn't see doing that to someone else. Besides, the expense of being sick, possibly hospitalized could have taken a toll on our finances.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Susan 76 Have you seen this thread?

It’s just a few down from yours and has many anecdotal reports of side effects many here experienced. My memory is that it also has links to a couple of studies or reports of side effects by vax and age.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, they say the older you are the less you feel the side effects and it’s different for men and women obviously. I think it’s easier for men.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you ladies for all of this advice.. It’s just scary being alone and if something bad happens from a drug reaction there is no one to help. Being sick is my biggest fear, I value my health so much especially after my moms cancer and watching her go through it.
I'm so sorry you had to go through your mom having cancer. That is so traumatic. It can change a person.

So let's say you do have a nasty reaction to the shot over the weekend, one that is much more disturbing than the ones the members of this forum have had, one that will prohibit you from driving (extremely RARE!!!). And let's say you decide you need help beyond just waiting at home for it to run its course. And let's say you are trying to remember that this reaction, if you have one, won't be as bad as getting a nasty case of Covid-19, and it will probably be over by the middle of Sunday if you get the vaccine Saturday morning, but you are still out of your mind with worry about what's going on.

If that happens, what is your plan, given that you are alone, to get the help you might need?

Maybe you could first call your GYN and ask what to do. After that, if you are told to go get help where there are doctors, can you call a taxi or an Uber to take you to an Urgent Care place? Would you be willing to call an ambulance to take you to the hospital? Is there a co-worker you could call to come take you to an Urgent Care place? If you can say yes to any of these, put those phone numbers down on paper and stick the paper on the refrigerator or by your bedside where you can find it easily. Or put the numbers on your phone so that you can find them easily if you are frantic with panic.

Maybe if you have an easy-to-do plan in place, and if you can get that plan settled in your mind, you'll feel much more secure getting the vaccine.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Unfortunately, the GYN is only discussing female issues. Those doctors just talk about what they specialize in. When you don’t have family it makes you closer to a higher power. You have to believe that g-d is watching over you and I know he is. That is why I am healthy. The worst thing I have ever had is food poisoning. Luckily that goes away.
After seeing my mom battle ovarian cancer there is not too much that scares me.
That was worse than anything. The chemo was worse than the illness. My mom was always positive and always smiling and making jokes no matter how bad things got.
I will always remember that. Thank you for your advice Liquid feet.

newboots

Angel Diva
. post deleted - didn't get published in time to be relevant! .

MissySki

Angel Diva
Unfortunately, the GYN is only discussing female issues. Those doctors just talk about what they specialize in. When you don’t have family it makes you closer to a higher power. You have to believe that g-d is watching over you and I know he is. That is why I am healthy. The worst thing I have ever had is food poisoning. Luckily that goes away.
After seeing my mom battle ovarian cancer there is not too much that scares me.
That was worse than anything. The chemo was worse than the illness. My mom was always positive and always smiling and making jokes no matter how bad things got.
I will always remember that. Thank you for your advice Liquid feet.

My Gynecologist talks about everything, we discussed things about Covid and vaccines when I was last at mine.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Mine didn’t mention anything about covid last time I saw her. She just said the next time I see you I hope it will be with out masks on.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Do you plan on getting yearly covid shots?
Are you referring to annual flu shots? Not aware of any announcement / recommendation from CDC, WHO for yearly covid shots, don't think such "thing" exists yet.
However, there are R&Ds currently on incorporating covid vaccine to annual flu vaccine, 2 vaccines in 1 shot.

You can consider asking your OB to see if she can / willing to administer the covid vaccine (instead of nurses / certified vaccinators). Have a 30 - 60 minutes wait in doctor's office after the shot (normally they have you wait for 15 mins.) to monitor any possible adverse reactions. Have her or her nurses to call you the next day to make sure you are fine. I know they can do that.

If you decide to go to pharmacy to get the covid vaccine. You can ask pharmacy staff to call you the next day to check on you. If you really want to be cautious, ask if the pharmacist who administers the vaccine will be staffing the next day.... so you are dealing w/ the same person and communications don't get lost in between.

Last edited:

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
I mean covid shots. I heard the Moderna there might be another booster before winter.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you really need to speak with a physician to figure out your options and the best path for you. Many of the questions you are posing are better suited for one. I get that you don’t have a relationship with a PCP, but maybe your gyn has suggestions. We’re just a bunch of random women on the internet who enjoy skiing, with varying degrees of understanding about the current state of affairs with COVID-19, vaccines, etc.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I mean covid shots. I heard the Moderna there might be another booster before winter.
Yes, so is Pfizer.... But I think this applies to folks who got the vaccines early (like last Dec / early this year), to "remind" your immune systems to produce antibodies against coronavirus.

In your case, i don't know if you need a booster considering you are getting the vaccine now.... this would be a question to ask your physician.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Best of luck to you, @Susan 76 . Getting the vaccine is the right thing to do. As others have said, many very healthy people with good immune systems have gotten very sick or died from the virus, so you really need to have the shot. I was worried about the vaccine, myself, though there was no question I was going to get it (I got the one from Moderna). And I had no side effects to speak of -- well, the day after the second shot I was cold, but maybe that's because I was skiing? You may very well have no side effects, too. Besides, the vaccine means no or only very mild Covid. So eye on the prize.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Susan 76 as others have said this is just a group of non professions who are sharing their anecdotal experiences.

You mention that your work is possibly mandating vaccines? do you currently work from home? Its unfortunate that you are not able to access doctors that you feel you can have a relationship with.

To answer some of the questions you raised - have you looked at the data on the cdc's website?

You mention avoiding sugar etc and possible allergies -- I would review the ingredients if I had a concern about a possible reaction -- if you go to the link I posted above, and find Appendix C it will list the ingredients for the 3 vaccines as well as other information that would answer other questions you have asked.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
reposting this from last May. I still listen to his podcast. He's very informative and has a wonderful calming way of giving out information:

I listen to Dr. Osterholm's podcast every week. He's an epidemiologist at the U of MN and has a great way of communicating, I think. Highly reccommended.
https://www.osterholmupdate.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly