• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Covid Vaccine advice/Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

newboots

Angel Diva
My daughter got the J&J vaccine and had very little side effects. Now, however, that the Delta variant is so commonplace, she wishes she had gotten an mRNA vaccine, to have a little more protection from this variant.

I got the Pfizer and had minor side effects after the first shot. After the second (on a Thursday), I laid around the day after waiting to feel something, then went skiing (with @Olesya Chornoguz !). I skied Saturday without incident, and then at noon Sunday I was suddenly exhausted! I dragged my gear out across the parking lot and struggled to stay awake on the drive home! It was weird. I went to bed when I got home and slept till morning (about 11 hours). But no pain, no fever, just tired.

I would do it again without hesitation!

I know these vaccines scare people, especially people who have had bad reactions to one thing or another. But the vaccines are nothing compared to a bad case of Covid. By far, the vast majority of people getting the vaccine don't have side effects that are any more than an annoyance. We can't say that about people who get the disease.

Re hot flashes [power surges!]. I began menopause somewhere around 45, and I'm now 68 and still surging. :mad2: Oh well. Also an annoyance! Most women get over their hot flashes in a matter of months or a few years. I always liked being exceptional. :rolleyes:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@newboots the evidence on Delta for J&J vaccine is mixed, one study showes that it is protective against Delta variant and the other study showed that it's similar but slightly less protective then mRNA vaccines. I am actually not that worried I didn't get mRNA vaccine because so far the published data showed immunity from J&J vaccine lasts at least 8 months and it should offer some protection against Delta. It looks like J&J vaccine induced immune response may be more long lasting and increases over time. Here is the press release from J&J

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 73 and was one of the early recipients of the Phizer vaccine. I had worse reactions with flu shots. With my 1st shot I just felt tired for a few days. I attribute that to stress. I had to drive to an unfamiliar part of town to get it. For almost a year I rarely drove, didn't go out, etc. I was scheduled on a Tues. evening and had to be there on Thurs at 3pm which put me on the road during rush hour. I didn't sleep, eat much or hydrate. Second shot I was much more relaxed, made sure I ate well, hydrated well, knew where I was going. No side affects at all.

To me a reaction to a shot for a couple of days was much better than getting Covid. When Covid hit the stories I heard reminded me of an experience I had when I was 9. A flu was going around called the Asian flu. It hit school children hard and many died. I got sick around Thanksgiving. By Christmas I had gone into pneumonia. The doctor came to my house and said I had to go to the hospital. I remember begging not to go because it was Christmas Eve. After that I don't remember much except being by myself in a dark room, someone giving me medicine, getting sick on myself, the faces of my parents looking through the window of the door of the room but not coming in, seeing Santa Claus through the window of my room who was climbing up the side of the building next door. I also remember being put in a big, round machine. I don't know how long I was in the machine or how long I was in the hospital. When I got better I was put in a room with other children. Since it was the holidays I was given 2 dolls. One was a bride doll and the other a doll made out of yarn. I loved the bride doll but ignored the yarn doll. I still have both dolls, not sure why. Today the yarn doll sits on my desk. The doll has no name but when I got frustrated with my self-isolation it reminds me that I don't ever want to be that sick again.

I also think a lot about a girl in my 1st and 2nd grade class. I still remember her name. She had braces on her legs and used crutches. Our school entry door had steps. I remember her struggling to get up the steps or someone would carry her into the building. She left my school after 2nd grade because the 3rd grade classroom was on the second floor with lots of steps and she wouldn't be able to get up them by herself. She had no friends. She could only watch us on the playground and we were afraid of her because she had polio.

I remember standing in line getting the "sugar cube" a vaccine for polio. I also recently learned the Asian flu was on it's way to becoming a pandemic but it was stopped because a vaccine was developed. President Eisenhower was the 1st to receive the vaccine. These 2 diseases and many others were stopped because of vaccines.

Today I feel stymied with the news about Covid but will do what it takes to protect others, as well as myself, from becoming that very sick and alone 9 year old or my classmate with polio.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Well.. thank you very much for sharing that interesting information. Some people are on the other end and can tell you scary drug reactions that leave them truly scared. I glad you are doing well. I remember hearing about the Polio vaccine and how it saved the children.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well.. thank you very much for sharing that interesting information. Some people are on the other end and can tell you scary drug reactions that leave them truly scared. I glad you are doing well. I remember hearing about the Polio vaccine and how it saved the children.
As someone already suggested, discussing your particular situation with a medical professional is the best approach. Telemedicine makes sense these days. Might also discuss with a pharmacist who is working where flu shots and COVID-19 vaccinations are being offered.

The CDC has info from the J&J clinical trials. Keep in mind that every vaccine or drug has rare side effects. The human body is very complicated. It's impossible to know exactly how any medication will impact an individual. That's why the decision to approve a new vaccine is based on balancing efficacy (does it help prevent serious illness) and safety (potential adverse events). About 13 million Americans have had J&J so far.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not just kids. FDR got polio as an adult.

No one knows the long term side effects of Covid. I have asthma. Growing up I still remember in 5th grade trying to out run the boys and having to stop to catch my breath. Same in high school gym classes or at dances. In my 30's I started riding bicycles and taking aerobic classes. Always the same, struggling to breathe when I pushed myself too hard. I thought I was under trained and pushed harder. I was diagnosed with asthma when I had a full blown asthma attack on Ride the Rockies and wound up in the emergency room in Leadville, CO. I was in my 60's when this happened. A couple of weeks ago I changed the way I use my rescue inhaler to open my lungs to have a successful workout session which required me to reach an anaerobic heart rate. Since no one else in my family, we all grew up in the same environment, has asthma but me I believe it's a side effect of the pneumonia I had when a kid.

BTW, I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, shellfish and have a difficult time with pain medications so not as "pure" as you make me out to be.

Nuf said, I'm out the door for a bicycle ride before the air quality gets too bad for me to be out.

altagirl

Staff member
I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but they really are taking following up on vaccine side effects seriously. I still get V-Safe texts asking me to fill out short surveys on how my health is now compared to before the vaccine, etc. Initially they were daily, then weekly, now I think monthly maybe - the intervals increase as time goes on. On the last one I entered in that I had a doctor's appointment (which was just a telemedicine visit to ask if I should get a COVID test for the mild cold I got from my husband) and the CDC called me to talk through it and make sure that it was totally unrelated to the vaccine because they want to capture that data if there is ANY change in your health that could be linked to vaccination. Yes, people might be ignoring those surveys, but as far as I can tell, in the US we all have an opportunity to report any side effects at all. It's not like a flu shot where no one has ever asked me if I had any side effects afterwards.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Both my hub and I had Moderna. He was out for a weekend with flu like symptoms; (feeling crappy laying on the sofa sleeping kind of thing) and I had a milder but similar reactions. I still think it's better than any risk I might have with getting covid or transmitting it to others.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but they really are taking following up on vaccine side effects seriously. I still get V-Safe texts asking me to fill out short surveys on how my health is now compared to before the vaccine, etc. Initially they were daily, then weekly, now I think monthly maybe - the intervals increase as time goes on. On the last one I entered in that I had a doctor's appointment (which was just a telemedicine visit to ask if I should get a COVID test for the mild cold I got from my husband) and the CDC called me to talk through it and make sure that it was totally unrelated to the vaccine because they want to capture that data if there is ANY change in your health that could be linked to vaccination. Yes, people might be ignoring those surveys, but as far as I can tell, in the US we all have an opportunity to report any side effects at all. It's not like a flu shot where no one has ever asked me if I had any side effects afterwards.

What side effects are you concerned about specifically?
I have heard all kinds of bad side effects like serious fatigue,breast lumps,high fevers,nausea,arm pain,muscle pain etc. (I know sounds like Rossannadana) I eat a low inflammation diet because I am so sensitive to sucralose,gluten and artificial ingredients. Diet plays a huge role in my aches and pains. Sugar can definitely trigger inflammation like sinus stuffiness.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Susan 76, it sounds like you are frightened of getting a vaccine. You are thinking about a bunch of bad reactions that you've read about, and you don't want any of them to happen to you if you get the vaccine.

Are you also frightened of getting Covid 19? Are you more worried about getting one or more of the reactions than getting the disease? Have you looked into the effects of the disease as thoroughly as you have about bad reactions to the vaccines? I'm terrified of the disease.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Good question... I am not afraid of getting covid because I am very careful and have no family or friends. I live an extremely healthy life style I don’t drink or smoke take lots of supplements like vitamin D,C,collagen powder,water, no soft drinks. I am very good with hand washing too and never touch anything like mail without gloves.
Lots of exercise cardio and weights,cycling and of course skiing.
I just have to get the shot due to vaccine mandates. I have a very good immune system. I can understand that some people don’t have a good immune system and are exposed to lots of family and friends would be scared.
I am alone.

Jilly

Staff member
Well, I think if you did an internet search like you've done for the side effects, regarding healthy active people that have died from Covid, that might change your mind.

In Canada we didn't get the J&J vax to even have that choice. But I did have a choice to get a vaccine. So I did. Not quite as old as @liquidfeet, but like her I knew people that had Polio. And don't forget Smallpox. I had to have that vaccine to go to school.

We have a local nurse that is so totally against the vaccine, she has allowed her children to have a bonfire a week and 1/2 ago. So far 10 cases and there will be more. My co-workers daughters were chaperoning the delayed Prom for this school that these kids went to. They are off today for testing as soon as they found out that 1 kid was at the bonfire and has tested +, was at the Prom. Now it's wait and see.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you ladies for this information. I will get the J&J shot on a Saturday morning.
I don’t get out of work until 10pm on Friday evenings and pharmacies are closed that late.
So far just New York is mandated vaccines for the state. (Correct me if I am wrong I know things keep changing)

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Susan 76, be sure to post back here with how it goes over the weekend. I wish you the best possible reaction-free experience.
I'm sorry to hear you are all alone. I quarantined myself and my husband from March 2020 into that winter, then only allowed us to contact others outdoors with masks one at a time from the start of winter through March 2021. It is hard to be so isolated. I'm still not eating or otherwise socializing with others indoors at all.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you liquidfeet, but I don’t think I am getting this weekend. I have a lot of cleaning and chores around the house to do. Plus, it all depends on what my company is going to do about the vaccine rules. Of course things are constantly changing. I will definitely post my experience with all of you nice people. I know I am a major chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly