• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Could I have frostnip?

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I've been getting very cold, tingling, and numbness in my fingers (more severe in my right hand) since the weather has turned cold - like if I go for a run outside in the 40's I'm okay during my run, but after coming back inside I'll start to feel pins and needles and coldness in the tips of my fingers. Two winters ago during Covid I went skiing and stayed completely outside, including snack breaks, sometimes momentarily removing my glove (right one since I'm right-handed) to eat or to take photos with my phone. Last winter I didn't ski, but went trail running instead, and again, would sometimes need to take off my glove to check the map app on my phone to navigate. Around freezing temps. I never had anything extreme like discolored skin or pain - just the temporary sensations, which I started to notice last winter.

Will this improve over time? Should I wear gloves even if my hands don't feel cold during an activity? I'm a bit trepidatious about how this will be once winter and ski season truly arrive.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The symptoms I had when I had frost nip on an ear skiing one run at Stowe when it was frigid without a beanie under my helmet wasn't pain but itching and a little redness. My AirBnB host was a long-time local and she took a look and said "yes, that's frost nip." The ear lobe also swelled a little bit. Was fine in a few days with no treatment, as she told me would happen.

My right hand is much more sensitive to cold than my left. I attribute that to the fact that it's been chilled more often in the last 10-20 years because I've taken off my right glove to take pictures when on ski trips much more often. Fair to say that as one ages, the situation for the body keeps changing.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been getting very cold, tingling, and numbness in my fingers (more severe in my right hand) since the weather has turned cold - like if I go for a run outside in the 40's I'm okay during my run, but after coming back inside I'll start to feel pins and needles and coldness in the tips of my fingers. Two winters ago during Covid I went skiing and stayed completely outside, including snack breaks, sometimes momentarily removing my glove (right one since I'm right-handed) to eat or to take photos with my phone. Last winter I didn't ski, but went trail running instead, and again, would sometimes need to take off my glove to check the map app on my phone to navigate. Around freezing temps. I never had anything extreme like discolored skin or pain - just the temporary sensations, which I started to notice last winter.

Will this improve over time? Should I wear gloves even if my hands don't feel cold during an activity? I'm a bit trepidatious about how this will be once winter and ski season truly arrive.
U r probably right handed take it ur right hand 2 so things. Tingling when u get back means circulation is working. I use heated mitts when I ski.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am only an ex RN ex WFR, but have never heard of anyone getting pins and needles in above freezing temps like the 40s from true frostbite. However cold might be enough for those painful symptoms to appear. Hypothermia can however occur at temps greater than freezing.

Frostbite/nip usually causes a blister to develop as the result of skin damage from the freezing part. My hope is that it is just cold discomfort.

Consider checking in with a health care provider as circulatory and nervous system issues can cause symptoms very similar to the ones you describe.

Jilly

Staff member
Any time I've had frostbite, it caused a blister or the area goes black and the skin peels. The skin freezes. Your symptoms are different. More internal. Get it checked out.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The symptoms I had when I had frost nip on an ear skiing one run at Stowe when it was frigid without a beanie under my helmet wasn't pain but itching and a little redness. My AirBnB host was a long-time local and she took a look and said "yes, that's frost nip." The ear lobe also swelled a little bit. Was fine in a few days with no treatment, as she told me would happen.
I had this happen to the tip of my nose years ago skiing and, similar to your ear, it was red and the skin was dry for a few days. Then it peeled (sorta like a sunburn), and that was the end of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly