• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Copper Island

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like some of the spring breakers went to the islands instead of the mountains!

Copper got 18" of snow last night. No way in, no way out. An avalanche took out a gas line near the resort. I-70 is closed from Frisco to Vail. Also, there was an avalanche on Vail pass that took out a tow truck. No one injured but have to dig out tow truck.

No idea when I-70 will reopen.

Copper has had 60" in the last week. Summit school district is closed, very rare here.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Concerns about Avy danger between Keystone and A-Basin has closed A-Basin. They will not open at all today.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The entire area is closed. I-70 opened but is again closed due to accidents. Looks like I may go snowshoeing and clean condo.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Wow - glad we went to Copper earlier in the season. Would be a bummer to be on vacation and not able to get there!

Hope there haven't been injuries.

Jenny

Angel Diva
How long does it take for the area to get cleared when stuff like this happens? And for the people in between the closures, there aren't necessarily alternate ways out that are open, are there? How un/usual is this amount of avalanche activity?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow - glad we went to Copper earlier in the season. Would be a bummer to be on vacation and not able to get there!

No reports of injuries. Can't get any direction right now. Planned to back to Denver today but eastbound 70 is closed. Summit County is pretty much an island itself. Can't go any direction from here.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vail Pass is projected to open around 3pm. No information on the rest of I-70. ll depends on when accidents get cleared. Colorado Highway Patrol is recommending front rangers not try to come up.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Winter Park and Eldora would be the options today. What a crazy week.

Last I read, they are inspecting the areas around I-70. Avalanche danger is 4 on a 5-point scale.

@Little Lightning -- Safe travels home.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Winter Park and Eldora would be the options today. What a crazy week.

Last I read, they are inspecting the areas around I-70. Avalanche danger is 4 on a 5-point scale.

@Little Lightning -- Safe travels home.
In 4 areas, including Summit and Eagle county, it's 5 on a 5 point scale. Never had 4 zones listed that high in the history of the Colorado Avalanche Information Center.
CDOT has been working all week to mitigate danger on I-70. Vail Pass is avy control. Adverse conditions, avy concern around the tunnel.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I didn't see it was up to 5 in those areas. And I think the forecast is for snow or snow showers every day for the next week.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They've been doing avy control on Berthoud, and had a big slide almost to the road a few days ago. My husband did uphill this morning at Eldora and said it was so good he went into work late. We're supposed to head up to WP and then Steamboat tomorrow, not sure how Berthoud Pass will be. The CAIC map right now is scary.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From the Summit County Blog

Winter weather, avalanche danger and road closures

Posted on March 7, 2019 at 1:15 PM by Julie Sutor

Summit County and adjacent counties are experiencing severe winter weather, which has resulted in widespread road closures and extreme avalanche danger.

According to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center, avalanche danger is Extreme (5 of 5) above treeline, at treeline and below treeline: "Reports of natural avalanches running in all possible paths continue to stream in. Historic avalanches have been observed or triggered all week and will continue throughout the day. A second round of heavy snowfall and strong winds have created very unusual and extremely dangerous avalanche conditions. Natural avalanches have the potential to break widely across mountain faces and run down to the valley floor. Travel in, near, or below avalanche terrain is not recommended. This may include backcountry roads, trailheads, or any infrastructure below avalanche paths where avalanche mitigation is not occurring. Even low elevation avalanche terrain that rarely slides might today."

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They've been doing avy control on Berthoud, and had a big slide almost to the road a few days ago. My husband did uphill this morning at Eldora and said it was so good he went into work late. We're supposed to head up to WP and then Steamboat tomorrow, not sure how Berthoud Pass will be. The CAIC map right now is scary.
The Disney slide on Berhoud Pass was first time it reached highway since 1957.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly