• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Contacts vs Glasses

Jilly

Staff member
I saw a guy today with the inserts in wrap around glasses. They weren't really "sun" glasses, but more clear, so I spotted them on him. Thought, what a good idea. Prescription sunglasses don't usually wrap around, so it would be good for bikers, runner and skiers!!

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They arrived today! I am thrilled at how easily they popped into my main goggles, as well as my clear goggles and how clear my vision is with them. It's a new prescription and I just got my glasses yesterday and the goggles are actually crisper than the glasses. I might have to find a way to integrate them into my every day look.

I will be field testing them for fogging, remembering the distortion of progressives while on skis, and ability to keep me out of the crap (or see the crap early enough to steer clear) on Sunday.

I had one particularly flat light day a couple of weeks ago when a pretty steep drop jumped right out in front of me and reminded me that I am not a bad skier. Not sure whether clearer vision will help in flat light, but that's the hope. The yellow goggles seem to help, but my eyes are bad enough that I shouldn't be doing anything without my glasses nowadays.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I saw a guy today with the inserts in wrap around glasses. They weren't really "sun" glasses, but more clear, so I spotted them on him. Thought, what a good idea. Prescription sunglasses don't usually wrap around, so it would be good for bikers, runner and skiers!!
There are "biker" glasses that wrap around and can be made with prescription as long as the prescription is only mild to moderate. They can be made up tinted or clear. A couple of brands are SevenEye, Wiley X. Someone could get them no correction and use the insert. Maybe that's what you saw. I recommend them for wind protection for outdoor enthusiasts with sensitive eyes. I wouldn't think of them for skiing in the Northeast because they would not be as insulating against cold as goggles, but they'd probably be great where folks ski in sunglasses like out West.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have an old pair of prescription wrap around by Panoptyx..... similar I think to the ones mentioned above. They were great for skiing.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Panoptyx is/became SevenEye. Pricey for sunglasses, but a great product for outdoor enthusiasts and folks with dry eye, some of whom get them in clear and wear them indoors! I have no financial interest.
Sadly the prescription is really old but wonderful glasses for skiing......

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Get updated prescription and go to same vendor who sold you that pair, or deal with SevenEye on line. They may be willing to "refill" the prescription in the old frames if you bring/send them in. Of course they like to sell new frames, but they may want to maintain customer loyalty.
I've thought about it... Just got brand-new maui jim's progressive (>$800) but won't wear those skiing........... so would want another progressive lens in my panoplyx. Purchased over 10 years ago....

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Once I got through a bunch of newbie mistakes (like don't break the seal on your goggles in -17F temperatures, and don't try to anti-fog treat anything outside when it's so cold that even rubbing alcohol freezes - but I haven't skied that cold for a good six years so I forgot everything I knew), the inserts worked fabulously! I highly recommend them. That green coat in the picture however...that thing has to go!

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL - not really. I am already a jacket slut. I have two other jackets. I wore this green one because it's a 3-in-1 "system" jacket that's supposed to be super warm. The biggest problem I have with it is that it's short in the neck so the back of my neck always gets cold, even when I wear a balaclava. If my neck is cold, I might as well be skiing with my jacket wide open. My other two jackets don't have that problem (maybe because they are both hooded?). I finally got to try the inserts for night skiing last Friday. I haven't skied at night in about five years because my night vision has gotten so much worse. As I was riding up the lift I was close to tears because I wasn't afraid of what I couldn't see and I was completely exhilarated. I forgot how much I love skiing at night. Does anyone else get that rush where you're so happy to be out skiing that you're almost in tears or am I just overly emotional?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly