• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Contacts vs Glasses

newboots

Angel Diva
My optometrist said that the prescription goggles sit farther from your face than glasses, and can distort vision somewhat. @bsskier, are you really happy with them?

Last edited by a moderator:

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@bsskier - My optometrist said that the prescription goggles sit farther from your face than glasses, and can distort vision somewhat. Sounds like you are really happy with them?
True, yet the adjustment period is really very minimal. I bought “universal” inserts which slip right into all of my googles (Smith, Oakley, Abom). I went overboard and got progressives (my eye doctor, another Florida skier, even asked me why the overkill lol) but I love mine! They will make inserts specific to your script and googles if preferred. I used SportRX.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an instructor friend that wears this and has for some time. Loves them and he can't wear contacts either. I wear contacts, but can't read anything if I'm wearing them. So it's PLEASE do not text me....
I can imagine! Ugh.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an instructor friend that wears this and has for some time. Loves them and he can't wear contacts either. I wear contacts, but can't read anything if I'm wearing them. So it's PLEASE do not text me....
When I was still working, I wore bifocal contacts just so I could read. Now that I'm retired and only use them for skiing and sometimes hiking, it's the daily disposables. I can only read the ski map if I can hold it far enough away, and the phone if I can blow up the typeface.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When I was still working, I wore bifocal contacts just so I could read. Now that I'm retired and only use them for skiing and sometimes hiking, it's the daily disposables. I can only read the ski map if I can hold it far enough away, and the phone if I can blow up the typeface.
I use daily disposables that are for distance only. Only reason I got a prescription for contacts. I carry non-prescription reading glasses if I need to use the phone much or to read a menu.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use daily disposables that are for distance only. Only reason I got a prescription for contacts. I carry non-prescription reading glasses if I need to use the phone much or to read a menu.
I actually have a folding pair of reading glasses with case (folds to 1.5 x 2 x 0.5 inches) that I carry if I'm at a larger unfamiliar area. For smaller area I can remember enough of the layout. Lunch is usually counter service so I can read that. And I'd rather ignore my phone while skiing. :smile:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My multifocals are daily disposables. (Dailies Total 1 multifocal.) I won’t bother with them when not skiing, or other situation where I would have fogged glasses for an extended time, but a definite step up from my old contacts.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I wish I could get along with contacts, but it’s not to be. I had no other choice and did a lot of research before buying the inserts. Best investment I’ve ever made next to boots
My most recent Maui Jim progressive sunglasses cost more than boots and new footbeds. Easily. But I love them.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Looks like with a few extras about $340 for progressive inserts. That's not bad at all.

newboots

Angel Diva
Just remember to carry your glasses with you. If you go into the lodge for a quick break, you'll need them to see if you're wearing your goggles inside.

Excellent point! Although goggles could be a great face shield against aerosols . . .

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
Just a word to the wise with SportRx. I ordered inserts for my husband, myself, and my daughter for Christmas. (Oh yes I am a fun gift giver.). They were all perfect but they didn’t label which set was which. Since my daughter and I have a similar prescription it took us a minute to figure out which ones went with the right person. I didn’t feel like the vision was distorted by the inserts being in my googles. I also didn’t have any unusual fogging though both my daughter and my husband complained. Ha has the Abom goggles and basically felt they were useless. Sad bc that was another of his Christmas gifts. I am not sure if fogging was due to masks or inserts or both.

This is my first year wearing glasses since I had LASIK 20 years ago so my prescription is still relatively small. I didn’t carry separate glasses with me. But we also didn’t spend much time in any lodges. I might have missed having separate glasses if I were trying to look at things in a lodge without my goggles on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly