• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Connector Lift Being Planned for Stowe, Smugglers' Notch

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This is pretty cool. Here in Vermont, Stowe and Smugglers' Notch are really close together. So it looks like the two are looking into installing a connector lift that'll ferry skiers back and forth.

More here.

Soujan

Angel Diva
That would be amazing. In the winter, the pass between the two mountains is closed so you have to drive all the way around to get from one to the other. A 15 minute drive in the summer becomes almost an hour in the winter.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
That would be amazing. In the winter, the pass between the two mountains is closed so you have to drive all the way around to get from one to the other. A 15 minute drive in the summer becomes almost an hour in the winter.
Funny story. Our first time visiting the area was in the summer, with an SUV and camper. I encouraged my husband to drive that route because it was shorter, and the turns were so tight at one point we had to take off the sway bar to get through!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Big nope for me. Hard hard hard no. It would require the installation of gondola towers over a beautiful and quiet part of Smugglers Notch (the geographic feature that the resort was named after) that is a beautiful hike/snowshoe in the winter. The notch is used for recreation by non-skiers in the winter and this would definitely impair the scenic value of it.

Stowe has already ruined access to the notch from the Stowe side; I do not want it ruined from the Smuggs side too.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
E9A66E85-9655-4B9D-89F2-523120B4D353.jpeg
Here’s a picture of my friend’s dog during our winter walk/hike up the notch to Sterling Pond. Love how peaceful it is.

Now insert gondola towers in the background. :/

Can’t do the exact hike I did in late November 2020 anymore because of paid parking at SMR. There is a free lot directly next do Lot D/E for the Barnes Camp on the Long Trail but parking is limited to 90 minutes on the weekend. It’s at least a 3-4 hour round trip to walk from where the notch road is closed to Sterling Pond. Have to do it from the Cambridge side now, which is a longer walk on the notch road.

I don’t begrudge the owner of Smuggs for trying to optimize his succession plan but I do take issue with Vermont’s most iconic and famous mountain pass being developed to further support the Disneyfication of Vermont. Sterling Pond and its surrounds is iconic and beautiful and should be left alone.

41DFA317-DBD1-43F1-B9FE-6BB037282298.jpeg

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ilovepugs I was wondering where the towers would go. I have the same gut reaction as you-- it would destroy the beauty of the notch. The backcountry people already make their own access. Not sure of the advantage of connecting the areas, unless Vail is planning to buy Smuggs (that will be a sad, sad day).

marzNC

Angel Diva
The idea for a gondola to connect Smuggs to Stowe was initiated by the owner of Smuggs. Formal planning started six years ago. The idea is part of the evolution of thinking that started before Vail Resorts bought Stowe. Stuart interviewed Bill Stritzler on June 2.

June 3, 2023
" . . .
“The question for an independent like Smugglers’ became: what is an independent gonna do?” Stritzler said in an interview on Friday with The Storm Skiing Journal. “How are we going to survive, take care of our guests, take care of those who own homes here, take care of the employees in this new environment? Our team internally was asking ourselves ‘how are we gonna survive when we're surrounded by giants who have extraordinary amounts of capital to invest that we don't have?’ What are the things that we might be able to do that would enable us to continue to compete?”

The answer, Stritzler and his team decided, was a gondola. Seated just a half mile from the top of Smuggs’ mainly intermediate Sterling Mountain is the top of Stowe’s Spruce Peak. Skiers had been skating between the two resorts for decades. Why not connect the two mountains – both widely considered among the best ski areas in New England – with a fast, modern lift? A sort of Alta-Snowbird – or at least a Solitude-Brighton – of the East? Two owners, one interconnected ski experience.
. . ."

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
The Storm Skiing article also includes an image from the planning document of what will be visible from Sterling Pond: a little bit of the cable, and a small portion of one tower from one part of the trail:
Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 9.02.05 AM.png

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this project is paused for now:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna