• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Concussion recovery and skiing

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Hi all, I suffered a concussion on July 2 and just went back to work this week part time as consistent screen time and thinking deeply are still causing headaches. Because of my limited screen time, I have only looked on this site a few times since my fall. What is scaring me is my recovery remains slow and I am afraid I won't be able to ski this winter. Obviously I will not do anything like skiing before I am completely symptom free for at least 1 month, at least that is what a concussion NP told me. I think even when I will be able to ski, it will change the way I ski as I'm sure I will be way more cautious now. Has anyone else had this type of fear when returning after a concussion?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Not first hand, but I have several friends who have had and recovered from a concussion/TBI. It’s good that you have specialized concussion care. My friends who got concussions have all been astonished at HOW LONG it took to recover. But recover they did.

Summary? The fear is legitimate, real and normal.
The process is longer than you want but absolutely doable… but the process varies from person to person. Also, our brains are kind of incredible.

It’s definitely super scary… is your plan to start skiing when the slopes are fairly open and empty?

Amie H

Angel Diva
Hi all, I suffered a concussion on July 2 and just went back to work this week part time as consistent screen time and thinking deeply are still causing headaches. Because of my limited screen time, I have only looked on this site a few times since my fall. What is scaring me is my recovery remains slow and I am afraid I won't be able to ski this winter. Obviously I will not do anything like skiing before I am completely symptom free for at least 1 month, at least that is what a concussion NP told me. I think even when I will be able to ski, it will change the way I ski as I'm sure I will be way more cautious now. Has anyone else had this type of fear when returning after a concussion?
I had a concussion in the late 1990's after falling and had to fly out on a business trip (the old tech startup craze of the 90s!) within the week. I was definitely miserable for a few days but I'd say anecdotally I was OK for the most part after a few weeks.
Hopefully, when you want to resume activities like skiing, you could start somewhere local & low key.
I hope you recover fully and feel better soon!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When my mind turns to marshmallow fluff, it will probably be the result of TWO concussions. The first at 13 when I crashed one of my jumping horses. (most likely my fault, putting the horse off balance, but no one was watching). At least I had a helmet of sorts on. The second probable concussion (undiagnosed but .....) was sailboat racing in a botched gybe. Luckily the boom caught me on the hairline..... an inch or two lower and I might be dead. Of course being completely stupid and competitive, I was out at it the next day. The headache and nausea had subsided and the crew needed my body. And now that I think about it, I also banged my head pretty well a couple of years ago getting on (being bumped over/off) a chair lift. I went down face first to duck under the chair. I did ski for while longer. And as @newboots pointed out, I did replace the helmet after that.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I got a concussion in a ski crash in the pre-helmet days. What helped me later was to take a tune-up lesson, so to speak, because I’ve always found someone else’s confidence in me helpful. Plus, I think “cautious” skiing often winds up with a not-helpful body position that can actually lead to bad habits - e.g. skiing in the back seat - and potentially harm. So, for me, I reframe (definitely did this last season in North America) it as skiing conservatively.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I suffered quite a bad concussion 8 years ago (coincidentally also in July), and felt like my brain was completely fried for 2 weeks and could only sleep and rest. It took weeks to months to recover, and even though I could work I think I had lingering symptoms (earlier fatigue, emotional lability, more prone to headache) for at least 3-4 months. I was back running and exercising by the 6 week mark.

My concussion didn't occur while I was skiing, but it did make me more conscious of wearing a helmet. The most recent skiing I had done at that point was in France, and it was normal not to wear one...But these days I would never go up to the skifield without a helmet. I went back from the northern hemisphere to the southern after this for unrelated reasons, so my next season wasn't until the next July, a full year afterwards. It hasn't made me more cautious as a skier, it's made me more aware of taking appropriate precautions though.

Bear in mind I was also in my early-mid 20s at the time - generally the younger you are the better you tend to recover, and it's very much a case of listening to your body and grading up activity slowly but not doing nothing. I know of people who are symptomatic 1-2 years later because they have did too much too early.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I had a concussion in March. It was a crazy accident. My athletes were being lead through a race course inspection by my co-coach and I was taking up the rear. I was not even skiing -- just sort of side slipping, doing falling leaves, and pivoting at very minimal speed. I either caught an edge or had a vasovagal episode -- people who saw the fall think I just keeled over and didn't appear to catch an edge. I actually fell backward and was wearing a helmet. I have really low blood pressure, so that could have happened. I had eaten a breakfast that was a but heavier than usual and had plenty of water, but it was an early and more stressful morning--it was our annual program-wide downhill and we loaded chairs at 7.

The concussion took me out of play for 2 weeks--because it was a worker's comp episode, I had a great deal of medical oversight. I had to get a cardio work-up, too. Everything there was normal.

I was very tentative upon my return to snow. I basically only skied so as to attend an on-snow coach's clinic--I knew I wouldn't have to push terrain or speed. I don't know how I'll do this season. I've always been super fearless, but that may not be the case.

I do get your sense of uncertainty, @Peppermint. The only advice I can give is, "honor your body's and mind's feelings."

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. Yes, I will definitely listen to my body and will take it slow at first. I like the idea of going at an off peak time, such as mid week, to avoid crowds. I also like the advice of taking a lesson first time out to a. prevent me from developing bad habits from being too cautious and b. get my mojo back and hopefully get back to the confident skier I was before although I admit it will probably take time. I will certainly be purchasing a new helmet as well. This whole thing has really turned my head as far as how long and slow progress has been. Its hard not to go right back to my life before (like exercising and spending a lot of time in front of a screen) but I am trying to stay away from screens and give my brain a break as I heal and am slowly ramping up my workout routine. I am going to physical therapy and have been given different exercises for my neck and eyes to do, which as I type this, I know it probably sounds pretty weird but I have felt a difference. PT for a concussion was not anything I was even aware of. It makes me wonder how professional athletes who seem to suffer horrible hits to the head can come back so soon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly