• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Concerned. Stepped on my non-weight bearing leg by accident

Blue Diamond

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas!

I had a tibial plateau fracture due to a ski fall during which my bindings did not release (it was a slow fall). I had surgery a week later, on January 19th, to have it repaired with a plate and eight screws. The doctor said I should be non-weight bearing on my injured leg for six weeks.

Yesterday, 19 days after my surgery, I stepped on a slippery floor and one of my crutches slipped. The crutch fell and I stepped on my non-weight bearing leg, instinctively, to avoid a fall. It was just a fraction of a second, since I immediately held on to a table as I lifted my leg. I felt a mild pain that went away after a few seconds.

A few hours later, my knee does feel a little more sore than normal. However, I started my physical therapy today. Therefore, I don't know if the soreness is from my therapy session, or from having stepped on my leg. I am concerned of not healing properly because of this incident (I did not put full weight, maybe half the normal weight).

Have any of you divas whom had had accidents and been non-weight bearing experienced a similar situation? Am I worrying too much? Or should I try to see the doctor asap? (my next appointment is not due for another 3weeks).

Thank you for your advice.

AltaBird

Certified Ski Diva
I had this happen too. The metal parts and cast/brace keep it all in place. But call your docs office and ask just to be sure.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You could call your doc or PT and ask but I'm guessing most non-weight bearing patients have at one point or another put a bit of weight on that limb.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Um, not to be rude, but why would you ask on an internet ski forum and not call your doctor right away?

altagirl

Staff member
It's always most comforting to call your doctor or go ask at physical therapy.

Heh, but I can tell you, my physical therapists and ortho were probably sick of me asking this kind of question. I've even fallen down the stairs once while on crutches post-op (and was fine, though it definitely made me panic...)

The answers I always got were - well, ultimately, you either damaged the repair (I've only had meniscus repairs that were NWB) or you didn't. (duh!) But there's nothing you're going to do about it for the time being - even if it is damaged, you aren't going into surgery again tomorrow, you'd need to get the swelling down and strength up as much as possible first, so it's generally not a rush situation. They can check and see if your ligaments still feel intact (which wouldn't be an issue for you), but I doubt they would do another x-ray/MRI to check out the repair unless you were in a lot of new pain or something was very obviously wrong.

I think most patients spend a lot of time grilling their physical therapists to get their opinion on tons of new aches, pains and noises. If you just started doing new PT exercises - new aches and pains within reason are totally normal.

And I will say - if you really managed to never put any weight at all on a non-weight-bearing leg during the whole 4-6 weeks or whatever of healing, you'd probably be some sort of super-hero. It's a goal, for sure, but not many patients are perfect.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd leave a message for you doctor clearly describing what happened. He'll likely say not to worry - I planted my right foot and weight-bore before I was cleared to do so for a similar reason and my surgeon advised that side I was all braced up and it was quick it should be no problem. Mind you I was recovering from acl recon, so your situation might be different. However he will be able to warn you if there is anything you should watch for that would indicate that something bad happened.

Blue Diamond

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you all for your comments and advice.

As many of you suggested, I called my doctor's office. They said that if there was no more swelling or bad pain, which was the case, that I was probably ok.

So I guess I was lucky. I just felt so scared to have damaged my leg repair. I am struggling trying to be patient about this immobility, and this concern made me not want to get out of my bed anymore, to avoid another accident. But these feelings put me on the verge of depression.

I wish I could buy some patience.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best of luck----speedy recovery---you will get through this journey and will have stories to tell!

When my youngest son broke his femur (a horrible b/c snowboarding mishap when he was 14), he had titanium rods, he had a fall and was occasionally non-compliant with that weight-bearing thing when he was out of my sight.

And that kid is hucking cliffs now and other dangerous things I'd prefer to not know about.

Blue Diamond

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you, dloveski, those stories make me feel good, and hopeful to be back on the slopes next season.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I"m glad you talked to your doc. :smile: Sounds as if things will be fine. :thumbsup: I'm sure you'll be back next season in fine form! :grouphug:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly