• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

compression long underwear

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I succumbed and bought a pair of CW-X long underwear bottoms at $95!!!! Yikes!
Anyway, with my sore knees and generally worn-out joints and muscles, I thought anything that could help me have less pain and more fun and endurance would be good.
I wore them for the first time on Sunday. Conditions were challenging - the kind where you can never relax because you're either on ice or in powder mounds. We skied from early morning until about 2.
Normally by then I would be having some serious knee pain, but aside from normal fatigue, I was OK.
For those Divas who haven't heard about them, these compression garments are supposed to hold you firmly in place so your joints don't start hurting. They're pretty tight going on - like pantyhose - but I didn't notice any discomfort during the day. They're also a good insulating layer.
I'll have to wear them a few more times to have a final verdict, but my initial impression is that they work pretty darned well.
Pricey, though....

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got the capri-length CW-X bottoms and love them. They're a bit pricey, I agree, but they give me just a little bit of added support and I like that. I won't ski without them.

altagirl

Staff member
I bought a pair about 3 years ago, wore them a handful of times and then had knee surgery. My husband asked if he could borrow them to try them out and I never got them back.

So I got a new pair - the insulated ones this time. Love them.

I'd like to be able to give you a comparison of how they feel vs. skiing without them, but since I bought them, I haven't skied without them!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Really interested in these, esp insulated ones - any thoughts on where to purchase online? (I seem to recall some on Sierra Trading, will hunt there.) Are they completely miserable to "uninstall" when it's time to use the powder room, or pretty much the same as pantyhose?

altagirl

Staff member
Really interested in these, esp insulated ones - any thoughts on where to purchase online? (I seem to recall some on Sierra Trading, will hunt there.) Are they completely miserable to "uninstall" when it's time to use the powder room, or pretty much the same as pantyhose?

I'd say they're the same as running tights - thicker than pantyhose in the sense than you can pull on them without worrying you'll rip them. I don't think it's much different than any other long underwear, with the nice addition that because they're snug, I can tuck my shirt into it and keep the draft out.

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oooh, Oooh, I have to check these out. Sounds like something that would help me, especially with my arthritis issues. These boards are just great!

MSL, I'm gonna check Sierra too. Let me know where you find them if you see an exceptionally good price. Thanks in advance!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Nothing on Sierra - some men's shorts - which leads me to believe they had more but they're gone. At full retail on backcountry.com and snowshack.com - wow, these sound great, something I would almost spring retail for - and rm, sounds like they would be even better for you! I'll keep hunting deals, but I sure like this concept. Probably worth sacrificing a new pair of ski/snow pants, even :wink: - at least for me.

greekpeakskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ok. i want these too. my old polypro bottoms today were itching me to death by 2:00. i was ready to strip naked on the snow to get out of them. plus, i like the idea that the might help the pain from the old damaged collateral ligament.

would someone please find a source for the insulated version for under twenty bucks and then let us all know......

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
would someone please find a source for the insulated version for under twenty bucks and then let us all know......

If someone finds and posts that, I think I feel a "virtual stampede" coming on...

These get great reviews on Backcountry.com and I do think this is one thing worth paying full price for, like you mentioned MSL.

Wow, these are sized for me to JUST get in there. I have "menapause belly" due to hysto and no HRT, making me a true apple (thin legs, not heavy all over, per se). Guess they figure if you exercise or are into sports, you are thin and well proportioned. Well, I guess I can give the large a whirl and see...boy, until I recently gained weight due to my medical issues, I never realized how hard it is to find sporting gear past a slim waisted size 10, since I was never much over a size 2. I should start a sports wear line for women size 10 and over, I think, based on my ladies clinic, I'd make a fortune!!!

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Retromaven, I'm with you on the menopause waist thing. That's up with that anyway?

I found the CW-X underwear quite easy to get on and off, but you have to be sure to pull it up all the way - like pantyhose. They're pretty darned warm, too - a great insulating layer.

Backcountry.com has them for a bit less than what I paid, but then you have to pay the shipping, so I don't know how much you actually save. I bought the "expert conditioning" model.

Here's the link anyway:https://www.backcountry.com/store/subcat/36/c/b100000085/CW-X-Womens-Pants.html

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Retromaven, I'm with you on the menopause waist thing. That's up with that anyway?

Cyn, when you hit menopause, or go into it immediately, artificially, like I did, you have a decrease in estrogen or NO estrogen (I can not be on HRT for two reasons) and that is needed for metabolism. Thus your metabolism goes straight down the tubes and you are prone to packing on fat around the waist and tummy. Usually this happens gradually, and isn't as immediate as in my situation. It doesn't help that I was slit from hip joint to hip joint during my surgery cutting through all those muscle groups.

I eat like I did when I was a size 0/2, but can't lose the weight, and it's hard going from being someone who was always thin and fit to looking like I swallowed a kick ball! I was told I really need tummy tuck to tighten the damaged muscles and lipo to improve that area, but that's not going to happen. Because of my lupus/rheumatoid/nerve damage issues, I can't spend hours a day in the gym (and it wouldn't help totally flatten my stomach, I'm told) or doing cardio. I do walk and do some exercise, but the belly doesn't budge. I'm not "big" all over, I just have that all around belly thing going on, so fit is really hard, as I really only need the extra room around the waistline/tummy.

Back to the tights, I think if I am going to do this at some point, I'd spring for the pro over the expert for the $15 price difference. Anyone have experience with one vs. the other???

altagirl

Staff member

I found the CW-X underwear quite easy to get on and off, but you have to be sure to pull it up all the way - like pantyhose. They're pretty darned warm, too - a great insulating layer.

Backcountry.com has them for a bit less than what I paid, but then you have to pay the shipping, so I don't know how much you actually save. I bought the "expert conditioning" model.

Here's the link anyway:https://www.backcountry.com/store/subcat/36/c/b100000085/CW-X-Womens-Pants.html

Backcountry does free shipping on orders over $50. (And they're good people - I think we must ski/bike with half of their employees!)

altagirl

Staff member
Back to the tights, I think if I am going to do this at some point, I'd spring for the pro over the expert for the $15 price difference. Anyone have experience with one vs. the other???

Way to bring that up... ;) I have the expert because when I bought mine only the expert came in the insulated version. Now they have the pro ones in an insulated version as well. hmmm.... (I do NOT need to be spending more money on clothes right now).

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sizing on these??

Any advice on sizing of these? I"m 66" 125+-#, apparently right on the S/M border. I'm thinking S??? Do these wash well?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any advice on sizing of these? I"m 66" 125+-#, apparently right on the S/M border. I'm thinking S??? Do these wash well?

Heh heh heh ... I initially read that to read 6'6" and 125 lb. I was shocked

I'm 69" and 135 lb ... the mediums fit me just fine. I don't know if that is helpful or not. If I lost 10 lb ... hmmm ... I might go for the small. But I guess it depends on where your weight is?

They wash VERY well. Like altagirl, I tend to wear mine every time I ski, so I do wash them a lot.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MSL,
I got a pair of the expert conditioning capri tights and I like them. I think sizing is standard. Yes, they wash very well. They are tight when you put them on but don't feel uncomfortable at all while wearing them.
I got the capris and they were hard to find (internet searching).
For the full length style, are these inside your ski boots? I've always been told that only your socks should be inside your boots and I always pull up tights
above my boots but that could be pretty difficult with compression tights.
FYI, normal price was about $95 and I got mine for about $70 but it took a lot of internet searching to find them.......I think they came from HDO Sports.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Saw the capris on backcountry outlet at a HUGE discount a while ago, and by the time I put in my order, they were sold out in my size. :(

That being said, keep an eye on backcountry outlet, in addition to the main site.

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski with a pair of compression shorts under my long underwear, keeps the tush warm on the lifts, but doesn't add any bulk in the knee area or in the boot. I'd look at a local sporting goods shop for the capri length running tights as an option. My shorts were on clearance for 6 bucks. the warm/compression knee are is intriguing me, I guess that is something ELSE I should buy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly