• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Companies to ski solo with

Cajunchai

Diva in Training
Hi all,

My friends don't ski and I've done a couple solo ski trips with companies that have other solo people join. I'm looking for more of these types of companies - I've found lots of yoga ones and others which are more focused on apres ski.

Has anyone had any experience with these types of companies that provide accomodation and bring together lots of solo skiiers? Or any advice on how to ski solo?

Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! I also have had to find ski buddies for ski trips with because my husband is a non-skier and we don't live in ski country. I tried a ski club trip long ago, but it wasn't for me. However, being retired I have the time to set up trips with a few old friends and other skiers I've met in various ways over the last decade.

Although it couldn't happen this season, one place that has been popular in recent years is Taos. Here's a planning thread from 2019 that led to about a dozen Divas and friends being there during the same week in Feb 2020. Some people knew each other beforehand and we all made new friends that week. We were hoping to repeat in 2021 but will have to wait until 2022.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...what-week-fits-in-your-schedule-better.23898/

What region do you normally ski in? Is there a local ski club? Most ski clubs set up trips to destination resorts that are pretty good deals.

Christy

Angel Diva
I don't have any experience with companies/group tours, but I've participated in women's clinics at different ski areas, which is a nice way to be with people all day, and sometimes after (it depends on the program) while traveling solo. Programs aren't always women-only, if you'd prefer a mixed group, and there are always just group lessons of course. If you want to focus more on skiing and less on apres, that might be a good option.

I've done this a few times and it's great. There are plenty more programs like it. https://blog.whistlerblackcomb.com/2021/01/womensskicamp/

Like @marzNC said, lots of people do ski clubs.

We have a number of threads here about skiing solo. Plenty of us enjoy doing this. At a new mountain, you can often take a free guided tour to get the lay of the land and ask questions. I usually just talk to people on chairlifts to gain info.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/solo-skiing.9111/

https://www.theskidiva.com/women-roaming-solo-taking-a-ski-trip-alone/

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/skiing-alone-thoughts.16974/

Cajunchai

Diva in Training
Thank you both! I ski in Europe. People in my age range (mid 20s) are usually into the faster skiing and I often find it difficult to keep up when in groups I've been with before. Really I just enjoy long groomed pistes with lovely views but groups usually go down icy and mogul-y runs instead. I'll definitely have a look into ski clubs and the threads you posted.

Christy

Angel Diva
I personally don't like skiing in groups in general (groups of strangers would be especially problematic) since I want to be able to go at my own speed and do what I want, but lessons/camps are great as the instruction necessarily slows the pace down (usually). If you do want to ski in Canada like you said in your other post I think you will have choices for women's camps.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you both! I ski in Europe. People in my age range (mid 20s) are usually into the faster skiing and I often find it difficult to keep up when in groups I've been with before. Really I just enjoy long groomed pistes with lovely views but groups usually go down icy and mogul-y runs instead. I'll definitely have a look into ski clubs and the threads you posted.
Ah, Europe is probably a bit different. Although there are still ski clubs I think. My experience is only in the U.S., although I think Canada is similar.

Are you looking to find travel/ski buddies to ski in Europe or N. America?

Cajunchai

Diva in Training
Ah, Europe is probably a bit different. Although there are still ski clubs I think. My experience is only in the U.S., although I think Canada is similar.

Are you looking to find travel/ski buddies to ski in Europe or N. America?

It's been difficult to find clubs here - I would definitely love to find ski buddies!

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Cajunchai Are you acquainted with the UCPA? Their all-inclusive ski packages geared toward young adults and include daily group lessons. You will likely not have a problem keeping up with speed racers since the skiers in your group will be at a level similar to yours. Lodging is dorm style with lift ticket, lessons, meals, and equipment rental included.

The UCPA is a well-established French non-profit. Their goal is to enable young people to experience outdoor sports. Based on online reviews such as this and this, their trips appear to be great fun. Lots of solo travelers, friendly, sociable, good skiing instructions, good food, clean facilities. Most of the participants are around your age. I wish I had know about the UCPA when I lived in Europe. I would have loved this type of trip.

Last edited:

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m sitting here salivating over this list of UCPA ski centers... over a dozen destinations I would love to visit. Where is my time machine?
961D852B-EA42-48FC-9DF6-6621D5FD5C3F.jpeg

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’m sitting here salivating over this list of UCPA ski centers... over a dozen destinations I would love to visit. Where is my time machine?
View attachment 14573
Been to 5 on your list. Serre Chevalier is really cool. Stayed in Briancon (a walked city - charming ) and I was probably the only American there. They loved my ‘accent’

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back in 2014 when I lived in the UK, I skied solo with https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/ who are agents for UCPA. They try to match you with other English-speaking people in the hostel rooms, and the transfers from the airport were pre-arranged, all I had to book myself was flights. The one solo trip I did was in Flaine (great intermediate mountain, weird architecture, twin share rather than bunk rooms) and the intermediate group lesson I was in stuck to groomers, no moguls and minimal ice. I also went to Argentiere and Val Thorens with Action Outdoors but that was with another friend, not a solo trip. I actually quite like travelling and skiing solo, but was just a bit more mindful about safety when going out/apres-ski.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Been to 5 on your list. Serre Chevalier is really cool. Stayed in Briancon (a walked city - charming ) and I was probably the only American there. They loved my ‘accent’
meant a "walled" city....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly