• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Colorado trip on Ikon

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all, I’ve got a work trip in Denver coming up and I’m debating where to spend the weekend. Last year I tried Keystone. This year I’m debating between Copper, Winter Park and Steamboat. I’m concerned about road condition / transportation issues and will rely on buses and shuttles to get to and from Denver. I’m leaning towards steamboat becuase it has the lowest altitude - which about killed me the last time. :smile: but I’m also wondering whether I should make the trek all the way to aspen. This will be a Friday to Monday Trip. Would appreciate any advice or thoughts you might have!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Steamboat, as far away from Denver as possible. If Snowstang, a new service from Denver, meets your schedule the price can't be beat. $25 one way???? The bus system in Steamboat is awesome, unless you're in some oddball lodging. Many of the lodges have their own shuttle system.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Having just spent 3 days skiing Steamboat over a busy holiday weekend, for a short trip I wouldn't hesitate to go to Steamboat Springs. It was relatively straightforward to avoid the worst of the liftlines and after lunch a lot of people left the slopes, even with excellent conditions. While Aspen/Snowmass has lots to offer, it's much more spread out and harder to learn in a short period. I like how close the town of Steamboat Springs is to the ski base.

Once you get to Steamboat Springs, they have got bus and shuttle transportation set up very nicely. I stayed at the Hampton Inn for a night. The Hampton and other hotels/motels and inns have their own shuttles in addition to the free town bus that runs all day and night.

Haven't been to Copper or Winter Park yet.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you! Sounds like steamboat is the winner then! :smile: so you would recommend staying at steamboat springs then vs on mountain?

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any lodging recommendations? What’s a reasonable price to expect? (Eg when I stayed in Dillon for Keystone I think I paid about $200, ideally I’d like to spend less than that)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you! Sounds like steamboat is the winner then! :smile: so you would recommend staying at steamboat springs then vs on mountain?
Could be fun either way. @NewEnglandSkier likes to stay right in the center of Gondola Square at the Sheraton. Any of the hotels near town that have their own shuttle would be good for a solo trip. For the Friday night of a holiday weekend, the rate for the Hampton Inn was less than $200. It's an unusual set up with 15 different types of rooms of assorted sizes and bed configurations.

My ski buddy has stayed at the Rabbit Ears Motel in the past. It's right at the end of town so can walk for shopping or dinner.

I noticed several chain hotels on our way out of town on Monday. Not as close to town, but I assume that means the cost should be a little lower. The town bus line runs along US40, which runs right thru the center of town. For example, the Holiday Inn is about 3 miles from the center of the shopping/dining district. After walking around for a bit after a late breakfast at Johnny B. Good's Monday morning, I think of Steamboat Springs as 10 blocks long and 3 blocks wide.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Could be fun either way. @NewEnglandSkier likes to stay right in the center of Gondola Square at the Sheraton. Any of the hotels near town that have their own shuttle would be good for a solo trip. For the Friday night of a holiday weekend, the rate for the Hampton Inn was less than $200. It's an unusual set up with 15 different types of rooms of assorted sizes and bed configurations.

My ski buddy has stayed at the Rabbit Ears Motel in the past. It's right at the end of town so can walk for shopping or dinner.
Like @NewEnglandSkier I stayed at the Sheraton for a week when in Steamboat Springs as I like to be close to the mountain (not the earliest riser here).... But found the town of Steamboat was really cool with lots to do, so there's that.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We always stay at the Rabbit Ears. Right by the bus stop, walk across the street to the town hot springs, easy walk to town. I love it. The rooms are basic and comfortable and clean and the people that work there are super nice.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the snowstang transport to steamboat only runs on sat and sun so if you wanted to do fri through Monday you’d need to use a different method. Go Alpine runs from DIA every day on a set schedule so you could always use that.
As much as I love the Sheraton right at the base it will be more than $200/night plus since it went time share it is more competitive to get into as they reduced the number of rooms so it often shows sold out. However if you want to use Marriott points you could consider the Fairfield inn. Not as conveniently located but it is on the free bus route; I’m not sure if they also have their own shuttle. Other options but not Marriott properties are Hampton inn, rabbit ears motel, holiday inn. Of those I think rabbit ears is most convenient to going downtown for dinner in the evening. Also look into Ptarmigan inn which is right at the base of the mountain- it is newly remodeled. If you have any other questions about Steamboat let me know—I’m not local but have been going there for 14 years so am pretty familiar with it.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes thank you! Any recommendations on the easier blues on the mountain? I will start with a green or two but hopefully can explore more since I don’t have the kids with me. Also any recommendations on food/ restaurants?

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you look at the trail map, the stuff farthest to the right is generally easier and it gets progressively steeper as you scan to the left. So for the easiest blues you would want to start in the sunshine area. Tomahawk is the easiest blue- there is one steeper pitch near the top which can be avoided by taking the green Sundial (but it’s not a super steep pitch— just depends on what you are comfortable with since I don’t know your level). After the pitch near the top it just has a lot of fun rollers and is closer to green than blue. All the blues in the sunshine area are pretty mellow. I like QuickDraw as for some reason seems to get fewer people overall. The upper part of High Noon can get messy because lots of people take it. After exploring the Sunshine area you could move over to Rainbow, Lightening, Blizzard (gets fewer people than lightening but leads to the same place). Buddy’s is a long popular blue that is best skied earlier before hordes of people get on it. Heavenly Daze is another very long blue that sees lots of traffic; if you are tentative I would avoid that one especially at the end of the day. It is very busy and gets skied off and some ski super fast on it with varying levels of control. Vagabond is also a high traffic run but is narrower and overall less steep than Heavenly Daze so for some reason seems less harrowing on the whole.
A very easy way into the Morningside area is via Cowboy Coffee— it skis like a green and is fairly flat. It’s pretty in Morningside but you may not want to hit it as there is only one lift out so the line can back up but if you are exploring the mountain I always suggest getting into Morningside at least once.

For dining downtown I like Mambo for Italian, Backdoor Grill for very casual burgers, Bésame for food with a Latin flair. At the ski base I like Truffle Pig for sandwiches and Los locos for casual tacos. Lots more good dining choices too—too many to list!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Vagabond is also a high traffic run but is narrower and overall less steep than Heavenly Daze so for some reason seems less harrowing on the whole.
During my quick trip to Steamboat back in the 1990s, Vagabond was where I skied a lot. I was an intermediate sticking to groomers skiing solo most of the time. Enjoyed it last weekend as well. For getting back to the base at the end of one day, my ski buddies took the long green from the base of Thunderhead Express. I opted to ride up Thunderhead and then download on the gondola. Wasn't a great view because it was the snowy day and ice had built up on the downside windows, but it was a nice relaxing way to end the ski day instead of having deal with skied off groomers or a long run out.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Also any recommendations on food/ restaurants?
On Pres. Day, we stopped for brunch at Gondola Joe's at the base around 10:45. They serve breakfast/brunch food until 11:00. Then by the time we wanted a little more to eat, the crowds had cleared out from the on-mountain food service locations.

The other two days we ate at Four Points. There is an express food counter downstairs next to the restrooms. Can get soup or chili there, with bread. Can either walk down in the interior stairs or ski around the building to leave skis on that level. The main food counter has a noodle section plus other options, including more soups than the one offered at Express.

Have to walk up the stairs to get to the Thunderhead cafeteria. My ski buddy, Bill, likes Rendezvous for lunch but we weren't on that side at the right time.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes thank you! Any recommendations on the easier blues on the mountain? I will start with a green or two but hopefully can explore more since I don’t have the kids with me. Also any recommendations on food/ restaurants?
There is a free mountain tour that starts at Thunderhead, which is at the top of the gondola.

If you get comfortable on the blues by the weekend, take a look and see if Billy Kidd is skiing on Sat or Sun. There is a sign just below the Thunderhead Lodge. If he's going to be there at 1pm, it says "Billy is skiing today," otherwise is says "Billy is not skiing today." He gives a free intermediate clinic that involves skiing down Heavenly Daze in short sections. Even on Pres. Day, there were only 8 people who chose to meet up with him. My ski buddies and I enjoyed the experience.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not familiar with Steamboat Mountain Lodge but it is on the orange bus line and across the street from Holiday Inn and Fairfield Inn. If you end up there could do a dinner at Rex’s in the Holiday Inn since it’s just across the street (though hwy 40 can be hard to cross there since it can be busy and no traffic lights— but it is definitely doable if you bide your time). Rex’s has pretty good food- I’ve especially enjoyed the Mac and cheese.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna