• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Colorado trip on Ikon

marzNC

Angel Diva
How exactly do you get from the main gondola into the sunshine area? Take spur run to the sundown express? And to come back... south peak lift, down broadway and up via elk head express, and then... does arc come down into the gondola?
Yes, Arc goes to the Thunderhead Lodge, which is the essentially the building where the gondola unloads. Taking Elkhead is the way to get back from Sunshine.

As for getting over there, you're correct that Spur Run is the way to go. It's a cat track.

The one thing I don't like about Steamboat is the VistaMap trail map. I found it pretty confusing. But it does have all the trails on it.

There is usually a Steamboat Ambassador at the trail map sign at the top of Thunderhead. They wear black cowboy hats and yellow jackets. Usually one at the top of Sunshine Peak too. The start of the free mountain tour is on the far side of the Thunderhead Lodge (other side from where the gondola unloads).

To warm up, could take the Christie Peak Express before riding up the gondola. That has mid-station unloading. Or could take Sitzback to Boulevard to Giggle Gulch and then get on Shortcut.

My first trip to Steamboat was back in the 1990s. Only had a few ski days and was only skiing green/blue groomers back then. I stayed mostly on the Thunderhead Express after getting up on the mountain. Partially because I was staying with a friend at a Times Square condo, which is close to Right Of Way, the long green trail (pretty flat) to the base from that side. When it's groomed, Vagabond is a nice long blue that pretty wide.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have not skied at Copper so can’t compare the two but in answer to question above— yes Arc does end up at the gondola (keep up speed or you’ll be walking or skating)

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, Arc goes to the Thunderhead Lodge, which is the essentially the building where the gondola unloads. Taking Elkhead is the way to get back from Sunshine.

As for getting over there, you're correct that Spur Run is the way to go. It's a cat track.

The one thing I don't like about Steamboat is the VistaMap trail map. I found it pretty confusing. But it does have all the trails on it.

There is usually a Steamboat Ambassador at the trail map sign at the top of Thunderhead. They wear black cowboy hats and yellow jackets. Usually one at the top of Sunshine Peak too. The start of the free mountain tour is on the far side of the Thunderhead Lodge (other side from where the gondola unloads).

To warm up, could take the Christie Peak Express before riding up the gondola. That has mid-station unloading. Or could take Sitzback to Boulevard to Giggle Gulch and then get on Shortcut.

My first trip to Steamboat was back in the 1990s. Only had a few ski days and was only skiing green/blue groomers back then. I stayed mostly on the Thunderhead Express after getting up on the mountain. Partially because I was staying with a friend at a Times Square condo, which is close to Right Of Way, the long green trail (pretty flat) to the base from that side. When it's groomed, Vagabond is a nice long blue that pretty wide.
Thank you! Super helpful. I wish trail maps indicated the direction the trail goes! It’s hard to tell which way is down sometimes! :smile:

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hmmmm... I was really leaning towards Steamboat there but given it’s a 3 night trip and the time of my Monday flight, I’m thinking Copper may be the way to go for this shorter trip... looks like the ikon pass also provides some really decent ski school discounts there...

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SO! Interesting snag in the plans. Ikon prices came out for next year and Aspen is no longer included in the base pass! So should I try to hit aspen this year instead?!?! Yikes!

Christy

Angel Diva
I wouldn't let the tail wag the dog here. Choose a spot that makes sense with your time constraints, overall budget, transportation options, level of skiing, lodging availability and affordability, etc. The extra $150 ikon will charge for Aspen next year is less than many other ski trip costs.

I saw your other thread about budget lodging and easy skiing in Aspen. Given the wealth of options in Colorado I personally wouldn't make a quick trip to the Aspen area to stay in Basalt and ski Buttermilk. I'd ask yourself, what do you hope to get out of a trip to Aspen, when there are so many closer options? Then as you plan make sure you are really getting the experience that you want, in order to justify the longer travel time/transportation costs/etc.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn't let the tail wag the dog here. Choose a spot that makes sense with your time constraints, overall budget, transportation options, level of skiing, lodging availability and affordability, etc. The extra $150 ikon will charge for Aspen next year is less than many other ski trip costs.

I saw your other thread about budget lodging and easy skiing in Aspen. Given the wealth of options in Colorado I personally wouldn't make a quick trip to the Aspen area to stay in Basalt and ski Buttermilk. I'd ask yourself, what do you hope to get out of a trip to Aspen, when there are so many closer options? Then as you plan make sure you are really getting the experience that you want, in order to justify the longer travel time/transportation costs/etc.

Makes sense. :smile: I really should just go ahead and lock Copper in. I will have the most ski time that way and can even take a lesson or two. Interesting complication is that this was supposed to be a business trip and our company just announced some fairly strict rules around when travel is permitted going forward due to the corona virus. I hope we still push through as the threat still seems fairly controlled right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly