• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Colorado for spring break

systaran

Certified Ski Diva
I’m thinking of doing a spring break ski trip to Colorado this year and am a little overwhelmed by my choices. Any suggestions on good resorts for families with tweens? I’m a single mom, it will just be me and my 12 year-old daughter. We live in Wisconsin and have only skied in the Midwest (Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana). We are both solid skiers. I don’t really care about nightlife, we just ski all day, have dinner, and then go to bed early so we can be on the first lift in the morning.

I’ve been looking at Breckenridge and Beaver Creek since they are usually listed as top family friendly resorts. However, I am open to suggestions from those who are familiar with the skiing in Colorado.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When is your spring break? Beaver Creek would be my 1st choice because it is less crowded. The disadvantage is that is lower elevation so later in the spring conditions could be iffy. Breck is higher elevation but gets crowded. Besides tourists it is a popular mtn for Colorado Springs so I'd avoid those school break dates.
Another choice would be Steamboat. It's an intermediates heaven. I'm from Ohio and it was my 1st ever western trip. I absolutely loved it there. Because of location it doesn't get as crowded with front rangers as the Summit (Breck, Beaver Creek, Vail) etc. Unfortunately, it's also low elevation so later is not the best time to ski it. Winter Park is also a good option but you could see crowds there also.

systaran

Certified Ski Diva
My daughter's spring break is the 3rd week in March. We'd like to avoid huge crowds if possible. I'll check into Steamboat.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Coming from the midwest for the first time, any of the ski resorts in Colorado will be a revelation. I love Breck, but it is the most visited ski resort in North America, and the busiest areas are the base areas, especially during spring break. I don't know what solid skiers means, but I am guessing that coming from your ski areas you would not be comfortable hiding out on the expert lifts (T-Bar, Imperial, 6 chair, E chair) to avoid the crowds at the base.

So uh - I guess that's a vote against Breck, as much as I love it and there is plenty of terrain there for skiers of any stripe. The one caveat is that Breck is probably the resort with the highest base altitude (resort meaning it has hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, etc), so it does hold its snow really well even if it's unseasonably warm.

Steamboat and Beaver Creek are both picture postcard lovely. For those it might depend on your budget. Beaver Creek's motto is "Not exactly roughing it" - and they charge accordingly. Although if you do stay there, there's usually cheap lodging available at the Christy in Avon. At least, there was 6 or 7 years ago when I last did that. The halls smell of a strange combo of chlorine and Subway sandwiches, though, and I think it's just a hotel, no kitchen.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another idea - Crested Butte. We spent spring break there three years ago and had a great time. The resort was empty! I think southern Colorado has been getting more snow than the I70 resorts, so this might be a good year for CB. We found reasonably priced lodging. We're tentatively planning to go for our spring break this year which is the week of March 21. Just need an okay from DH.

systaran

Certified Ski Diva
Another idea - Crested Butte. We spent spring break there three years ago and had a great time. The resort was empty! I think southern Colorado has been getting more snow than the I70 resorts, so this might be a good year for CB. We found reasonably priced lodging. We're tentatively planning to go for our spring break this year which is the week of March 21. Just need an okay from DH.

March 21 is the week we will be traveling too. I guess the goal is to find someplace that will still have a good amount of snow and not be super crowded.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m thinking of doing a spring break ski trip to Colorado this year and am a little overwhelmed by my choices. Any suggestions on good resorts for families with tweens? I’m a single mom, it will just be me and my 12 year-old daughter. We live in Wisconsin and have only skied in the Midwest (Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana). We are both solid skiers. I don’t really care about nightlife, we just ski all day, have dinner, and then go to bed early so we can be on the first lift in the morning.

I’ve been looking at Breckenridge and Beaver Creek since they are usually listed as top family friendly resorts. However, I am open to suggestions from those who are familiar with the skiing in Colorado.
Is there a reason you are set on Colorado? As opposed to any resorts in the Rockies. 3rd week of March is not that late for several places outside Colorado.

Have you slept over 8000 ft? Reason I ask is that altitude can be a consideration. For instance, Steamboat lodging is lower that most other resorts in Colorado.

Snowmass would be great fun, but definitely higher cost when staying slope side.

captain_hug99

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about Keystone or Copper? I have only heard of great things about both areas. You could stay in Dillon.

The week you are going, many school districts are on Spring Break in the Colorado Springs area.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't hear much good about Keystone, honestly.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've skied this week in March the past three years. Three years ago we went to Crested Butte. The slopes were empty. The snow was really soft down low but fine up higher. We really enjoyed our visit. The past two years we spent the week skiing Winter Park/Mary Jane. Two years ago, the skiing was great. Last year, it was warmer so the snow was a little more sticky. We still had a nice week. Both years the slopes were empty. This year I'm hoping that we'll end up back at Crested Butte.

The point about sleeping at elevation is valid. We live in Boulder and ski every weekend, so it's not an issue for us. I do not know anything about skiing outside of Colorado.

Maybe look at airfare/housing/lift ticket options for various ski resorts and use that as a starting point. I'm sure that you'll have fun wherever you go.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When my spring breaks were late March, early April we always did Copper and Keystone. Keystone is ok for a day or 2. There is a large terrain park that attracts many boarders. The front has some nice blue groomers but they do get crowded. Copper's mountain is laid out very nicely, more difficult runs on the east side, easier runs on the west. For that reason skiers of varying abilities don't get mixed together like they do in other resorts. The village is limited, it's not a town and there are few restaurants. Of the Summit resorts its my favorite place to ski. Copper just doesn't get old for me. If you chose Copper Frisco would be the place to stay. A town bus is available if you don't want to drive. There is also bus service to Keystone, A-Basin and Breck.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check out Winter Park too. It should not be crowded midweek. You could even split your time between Winter Park and Steamboat. There's a 4 day pass that includes 2 days at each resort. The drive from Winter Park to Steamboat is just over 1 1/2 hours if the road is clear.

https://www.winterparkresort.com/tickets-and-passes/pass-overview/route-40-4-pack.aspx

My sis from Florida and me may be going to CO late Feb 'cause niece is in college in Boulder. Where is a great place to stay at Winter Park? on mountain.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think on the mountain is better. You can always take the bus into town, although there's not much nightlife in WP - just great skiing. I would save to look at VRBO, and check reviews. I have friends who stayed at the Vintage over Christmas and said it was fine.

snowburgh

Certified Ski Diva
i have been to copper for the last 2 years, and here is what i like
1) contained. about 7-10 rest in a small discrete area - so you can find anyone
2) family oriented. i was there on new years - and there was no late night craziness. we were sleeping and no one woke us up
3) deals that offered - 33% off rental, ski passes, rentals etc to stay on the mountain when booked. not sure if still available
4) small, local - so less for the kids to get into

just my take. i have been there 4 times in the last year, and it just reinforces my thoughts every time we go.
ps - my kids are young and their desire to ski is unpredicatable, so staying on the mountain has been key for my sanity

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna