• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Colorado 19-20

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like Steamboat is lower than Taos, so I don't expect you'll have any problems. And its base and peak are both lower than Alta's.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like Steamboat is lower than Taos, so I don't expect you'll have any problems. And its base and peak are both lower than Alta's.
Learning that the red blood cell adaptation holds for a couple weeks, even after returning to a lower elevation, I'm taking that into account when planning for future seasons that involve skiing in Colorado. Last season when I went home for a week between Taos trips, it was clear that the second trip it only took one night to get adjusted to sleeping at over 7000 ft. While it would be nice to just spend 4-6 weeks in NM/CO during ski season, that's not going to happen any time soon.

The other difference going forward is that my ski buddy, Jason, who lives in Ohio now has reasons to seriously consider getting an Epic pass that he could use at local ski hills. He's going to Steamboat with me and Bill in Feb. None of us have skied at Vail, Beaver Creek, or Breck.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Learning that the red blood cell adaptation holds for a couple weeks, even after returning to a lower elevation
Interesting timeframe. I developed low altitude edema this year when I was back east. I was at low altitude for almost two weeks. Toward the end of the trip, I noticed I suddenly had no ankle bones. Arrived home 15 pounds heavier ... 12 pounds dropped off in the first 72 hours.

Reading about low altitude edema, I learned that if I had a medical situation develop, doctors would assume the edema indicated heart or kidney problems if they were not informed about the change in altitude.

I don't have enough experience with it yet to know how I should adjust travel plans -- make shorter trips to prevent edema from kicking in, or longer ones to allow it to resolve while I'm at low altitude. But the adaptation is definitely something I'm becoming aware of. Good that you are taking that into account as you plan ski trips.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting about the red blood cell adaptation . I feel like when I'm back home at sea level after skiing at altitude that I have extra oxygen capacity during the time frame when I'm traveling out west to ski.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting about the red blood cell adaptation . I feel like when I'm back home at sea level after skiing at altitude that I have extra oxygen capacity during the time frame when I'm traveling out west to ski.
Found the 2016 article about the study that was trying to see how long the changes required to adapt to high altitude can last. A group of volunteers spent two weeks at over 15,000 ft, then left for 1-2 weeks, and returned for another short period. A factor related to why the adaptation can last for a few months is that red blood cells survive for about 120 days.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/10/two-weeks-mountains-can-change-your-blood-months

The tricky part is that everyone is different and the situation varies even for the same individual. I've only done more than one mid-season trip to the Rockies a couple times, so still gaining experience about how my body deals with altitude adaptation.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Found the 2016 article about the study that was trying to see how long the changes required to adapt to high altitude can last. A group of volunteers spent two weeks at over 15,000 ft, then left for 1-2 weeks, and returned for another short period. A factor related to why the adaptation can last for a few months is that red blood cells survive for about 120 days.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/10/two-weeks-mountains-can-change-your-blood-months

The tricky part is that everyone is different and the situation varies even for the same individual. I've only done more than one mid-season trip to the Rockies a couple times, so still gaining experience about how my body deals with altitude adaptation.
Sounds like I need to go to Tahoe the week before Taos.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Last year, I had spent a week toward the end of February at Winter Park. It took me a few days to be able to fall asleep without my heart pounding out of my chest, but I eventually adapted. Then, I spent about 5 days at Alta with absolutely no problems followed by a couple of days in WP a week later with zero trouble. I’m pretty sensitive to altitude, but I took great care on the first trip to drink a lot of water, something I don’t always do. I was surprised the effect lasted through April.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Looks like A-Basin is opening Lenawee this afternoon.

I also note that Keystone has opened several more front face runs.

A little more terrain plus no snow at Mammoth is going to lead us to a very early season drive to Colorado.

Can't wait to ski!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Steamboat is making full use of the early season snowstorms. Has announced Dec. 15 as opening day, a week earlier than the date published in early Oct. Apparently the earliest opening date ever.

https://www.coloradoski.com/blog/steamboat-announces-earliest-opening-day-resort-history
"The ski and snowboard season will begin earlier than ever in Steamboat this winter with the resort moving Opening Day up a week to November 15, 2019. To celebrate the earliest opening in more than 50 years, lift tickets for the first week of the season will be $50 and all passes will be valid starting opening day. The season will start with Christie Peak Express featuring 50 acres, 1,100 vertical feet and 10 trails including Sitz, Sitzback, Jess’ Cut-Off, Vogue, lower Short Cut, Stampede, Boulevard, upper Giggle Gulch and Right O Way, as well as Desperado Carpet and select features in Lil’ Rodeo Terrain Park.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Given the issues last season due to the great snow, Aspen Ski Co. is going to try some new approaches to avoid crowd issues. At the same time, they are working to attract newcomers during early season. For Dec. 13-15, someone with a season pass from any other mountain will be able to get a day ticket for $59 for themselves as well as friends and family with them.

Nov. 29, 2019, The Aspen Times
Alterra CEO: We don’t want Ikon Pass to overrun ski resorts such as Aspen
". . .
Aspen Skiing Co. isn’t waiting to see if the crowding continues. It made adjustments to its operations this offseason and will implement more as ski season unfolds to address what senior vice president of mountain operations Katie Ertl called “volume impacts.”

“We made some moves this year to change that,” she said.

The moves she outlined included:

• Paying Roaring Fork Transportation Authority to increase bus service. Specifically, RFTA will add weekend shuttles between the parking lot at Brush Creek Road/Highway 82 and Aspen Highlands.

• Using Skico’s mobile app to alert people when parking lots are full. In the past, people might drive up Maroon Creek Road, for example, only to have to turn around because the lot at Aspen Highlands was full.

• Adding chairs to increase the uphill capacity of the Cloud 9 lift at Aspen Highlands and the High Alpine lift at Snowmass. The capacity of both will increase to 1,800 from 1,200 skiers per hour. Ertl said Skico doesn’t believe that will pack the terrain with skier and riders. The High Alpine lift serves numerous trails on either side of the lift as well as the hike-to terrain of Hanging Valley Wall. That’s a lot of territory to absorb the increase in lift riders, she said.

• On the biggest powder days, Skico will strategically open terrain in sections rather than all at once. Last year, the Deep Temerity lift was overwhelmed when Highland Bowl finally opened on a Saturday with 16 inches of powder. People waited in line for longer than an hour.

“We opened the Bowl all at once,” Ertl said. In a similar scenario in the future, it might phase the opening of the Temerity terrain and the Bowl, she said.

Hanging Valley Wall terrain also may have a phased opening on some prolific powder days, she said.
. . ."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna