• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Colorado 19-20

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Summit County is practically my second home during ski season. With Breck opening late into May and A-Basin now on IKON, I will definitely be there in December and April.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, not only has A-Basin joined Ikon, it's also going to be on the MCP for 2019-20. At just under $500, the MCP still has value for people who are mostly taking relatively short ski trips. Meaning 2-3 ski days after a cheap non-stop flight to Denver.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, not only has A-Basin joined Ikon, it's also going to be on the MCP for 2019-20. At just under $500, the MCP still has value for people who are mostly taking relatively short ski trips. Meaning 2-3 ski days after a cheap non-stop flight to Denver.
While people who fly to ski in Colorado using a multi-resort pass may not change their thinking about which one to buy based on A-Basin joining the MCP, it's going to make a noticeable different for A-Basin season passholders. They will now be able to get day tickets at other MCP locations for 50% off, which is the standard practice for premium season passes at MCP resorts. In short, for under $500 dollars can get an unlimited season pass to A-Basin plus do trips to MCP locations based on an unlimited number of discounted day tickets. That's in comparison to recent years under Epic, where the cost of Epic Local was comparable but that gave access to Vail Resorts locations as opposed to places like Jackson Hole, Snowbird, or Aspen/Snowmass.

https://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2019/08/mountain-collective.html - Aug. 6, 2019

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I love Winter Park. Me and the fella spent a week in February after President's Day staying slopeside and another 4 days in April because we found very cheap flights, condo and car. The snow was great and I don't think I ever really waited in line for the lifts.
We're planning on going again for a week in February. I like the fairly laid back feel of the place and I'm getting to know the runs. I bought an Ikon pass this year (last year we got season passes to WP because it was cheaper than paying for 7 days of skiing) because I am going to ski more than WP.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Some fascinating news out of Aspen today. There were announcements made at a recent Aspen City Council meeting about how Aspen Skiing Co (Skico) hopes to avoid the worst traffic jams on weekends last season. In particular for Aspen Highlands because young adult travelers who used Ikon headed in that direction more often than the typical Aspen/Snowmass guest who flies into Colorado.

8/19/19, Aspen Times
Aspen Skiing Co. to adjust for Ikon crowds in ’19-20 season
" . . .
He [Mike Kaplan, CEO] said Skico plans to hang more chairs on chairlifts that have capacity at Highlands and Snowmass to help move the lines quicker.

“There is a ton we can do,” Kaplan said of dealing with the crowds.

More buses will run from the Brush Creek Park and Ride lot, and Skico will look into message signs on Maroon Creek Road to alert motorists if the Aspen Highlands parking garage is full before traffic backs up.

Skico may also use social media platforms such as Twitter for real-time traffic information.
. . .
Kaplan noted that skier visits were up 20% last season over the previous one, with the main driver being a banner snow year.

Local passholders were about 45% of that increase, and 40% of the skier visits over the weekends were Ikon Pass holders, with most of them hailing from the Front Range and California.

Kaplan also said 70% of the Ikon pass holders were new to Aspen-Snowmass, and the largest demographic was between 25 and 34 years old.

“They look and act like a local,” he said, adding they are younger and more accomplished skiers, which is why they flock to Highlands for steeper terrain.

The Ikon Pass is an effective tool to help Skico address the sport’s aging demographic and gain new a customer base, Kaplan said.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
I haven't read Al's Blog that often and never during the summer. Didn't realize that A-Basin is building new trails in the Beaver area. Looks like new mountain bike trails too.

Also planning for a Via Ferrata next summer. I like the idea but can't imagine doing that sort of climbing at that altitude unless I was in the area for a couple weeks beforehand to adjust.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't read Al's Blog that often and never during the summer. Didn't realize that A-Basin is building new trails in the Beaver area. Looks like new mountain bike trails too. ...

I didn't realize they were building new trails, either! Sounds like they're thinning 2 new tree runs on the west side of the Beavers. That terrain is super fun; should be great.

https://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2019/08/tinker-toy.html
https://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2019/08/todds-ridge.html

marzNC

Angel Diva
My travel plans for Feb for Steamboat are pretty settled. Just need to book a motel near the airport for the night before I fly home. Any suggestions? Any experience with the Baymont or Quality Inn? It looks like it's possible to walk to get dinner from either one.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My travel plans for Feb for Steamboat are pretty settled. Just need to book a motel near the airport for the night before I fly home. Any suggestions? Any experience with the Baymont or Quality Inn? It looks like it's possible to walk to get dinner from either one.
You're going to Steamboat? I really enjoyed Steamboat. Flew into airport there so was quite easy. Stayed for a week at the Sheraton ski in ski out several years ago. What was really fun was meeting up with the "over the hill gang." Skied with them every day as my friend I traveled with would rather get her hair done and massages and wasn't really that into the skiing! So it worked out great for both of us!

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
You're going to Steamboat? Stayed there for a week at the Sheraton ski in ski out several years ago. What was really fun was meeting up with the "over the hill gang." Skied with them every day as my friend I traveled with would rather get her hair done and massages and wasn't really that into the skiing! So it worked out great for both of us!
I'm set for lodging at Steamboat. Snagged a timeshare unit back in August. My ski buddy Jason is joining me and Bill in SLC. Then we'll drive to Steamboat during Pres. Day weekend. Idea is to check out Steamboat and return for a longer stay at some point.

How did you connect with the Over The Hill Gang the first time? I see the group skis 10am-1pm.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm set for lodging at Steamboat. Snagged a timeshare unit back in August. My ski buddy Jason is joining me and Bill in SLC. Then we'll drive to Steamboat during Pres. Day weekend. Idea is to check out Steamboat and return for a longer stay at some point.

How did you connect with the Over The Hill Gang the first time? I see the group skis 10am-1pm.
Think I saw it in a brochure so showed up at the starting point.. Supposedly it is from 10-1 but we all had lunch together and skied in the afternoon. Broke up into a few groups based on ability and interest. I think I was in the higher level group as we skied trees and many ungroomed areas that I might not have done solo. As I stated, my good friend from college likes to travel to ski areas but think she only skied 2-3 mornings and not with the group I met up with. The "over the hill gang" was a game changer for me b/c they acted as guides and showed us around the mountain. Probably skied until 3 - 3:30 every day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have read about traffic jams on I-70 during the winter. But was more interesting to find that a group is trying to work on making it easier in general for wildlife to cross the highway in the Vail Pass region. It's called Summit County Safe Passages. Vail Resorts and Copper are listed as sponsors. The goal is to come up with a plan for underpasses and overpasses that deer, elk, and other big animals can use to cross the road. Better for the animals and better for the drivers because it will decrease the likelihood of accidents. Over 3000 wildlife-vehicle accidents are reported annually, with probably a similar number unreported.

https://www.summitcountysafepassages.org/about/safe-passages/

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 8.35.52 AM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
Have read about traffic jams on I-70 during the winter. But was more interesting to find that a group is trying to work on making it easier in general for wildlife to cross the highway in the Vail Pass region. It's called Summit County Safe Passages. Vail Resorts and Copper are listed as sponsors. The goal is to come up with a plan for underpasses and overpasses that deer, elk, and other big animals can use to cross the road. Better for the animals and better for the drivers because it will decrease the likelihood of accidents. Over 3000 wildlife-vehicle accidents are reported annually, with probably a similar number unreported.

https://www.summitcountysafepassages.org/about/safe-passages/

View attachment 11226

I love this!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I've definitely driven by wildlife overpasses... they are some maybe on 191 in Wyoming between Rock Springs and Jackson somewhere. I'll keep my eyes open on my drive to Diva West in January. :smile: Glad to hear they're thinking of doing similar things around here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly