• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Coalition Snow Bliss and Sweet Salvation (S<O>S)

mustski

Angel Diva
I'm thinking of getting a pair of the SOS or the Abyss. This seems like a great company! And they're having a kickstarter campaign right now that will get you a pair of either ski for $500. I'm 5'11" and a pretty aggressive skier, but not an expert per se. I've been skiing the Volkl Gotamas for year and would get a pair oft the Aura's if they made them in my length. Do these feel similar at all to the Aura? Thanks!
@volklgirl What say you? You are familiar with both the Volkl line and the Coalition line and uniquely qualified to answer this.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@vagabunda79 - I don't think theAura and SOS feel similar at all, but I still think you'd like the SOS. I really have to "eeney, meeney, miney, mo" about taking out the SOS or the Kikus. I highly recommend you pull the trigger on the SOS if they're not sold out - and don't be afraid to go long if you can (especially if you've been skiing Goats).

The Abyss, though, I'm still not sold on. I've read a couple of times that they have a "break-in" period before they feel really great, and with my knees giving me problems this year, I just haven't spent any time on them. Also, I may have had them mounted too far back at 2.5 cm. With my Shiros being so fun and easy, I have a real hard time taking the Abyss out instead.

Lavybear

Diva in Training
@vagabunda79 - I don't think theAura and SOS feel similar at all, but I still think you'd like the SOS. I really have to "eeney, meeney, miney, mo" about taking out the SOS or the Kikus. I highly recommend you pull the trigger on the SOS if they're not sold out - and don't be afraid to go long if you can (especially if you've been skiing Goats).

The Abyss, though, I'm still not sold on. I've read a couple of times that they have a "break-in" period before they feel really great, and with my knees giving me problems this year, I just haven't spent any time on them. Also, I may have had them mounted too far back at 2.5 cm. With my Shiros being so fun and easy, I have a real hard time taking the Abyss out instead.

Hi @volklgirl! I also ski a 2008 Aura and full rocker kiku and I’m looking at pulling the trigger on the Coalition SOS. Unfortunately I am in Canada so I can’t demo them but they do have a money back guarantee so that’s helpful.

Where do you find these skis excel? How do you find them in the trees? Are they fairly stiff in the tips as well as underfoot? You recommended mounting the bindings further back, how does that affect the skiing?

Sorry for the 20 questions, it would be great to get some information from someone who has skied them!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @volklgirl! I also ski a 2008 Aura and full rocker kiku and I’m looking at pulling the trigger on the Coalition SOS. Unfortunately I am in Canada so I can’t demo them but they do have a money back guarantee so that’s helpful.

Where do you find these skis excel? How do you find them in the trees? Are they fairly stiff in the tips as well as underfoot? You recommended mounting the bindings further back, how does that affect the skiing?

Sorry for the 20 questions, it would be great to get some information from someone who has skied them!

I haven't really found any conditions in which they don't excel. They have a tight enough turning radius to make tree skiing fun, and they make skiing cruddy snow a breeze. The one thing I've found vs the Kiku is that the SOS does better with less effort on harder snow - the full rocker on the Kiku tends to make it wash out at the end of the turn unless you really know how to transfer your pressure point back to keep the tail engaged.

As to the mounting point, keep in mind that I'm generally mounted "on the line" on men's skis, and I don't typically like forward mounted skis. For me, that 1-1.5 cm back on the SOS puts me right where I feel most balanced. If you generally ski and like forward mounted skis (many women's skis), then the stock boot center line on the SOS would probably be just fine.

I did find that the the 2.5 cm back of the line on the Abyss was WAY too far back. Hubby ended up remounting those on the line and I fell back in love with them again. It really does matter which ski and how it's designed.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Any updates on these?

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of 180's (last year's peacock pattern) from REI using points. I'm hoping they'll be fun in variable conditions here in NM.

Other skis I have: Blossom AM78 in 170, Nordica Santa Ana 93 in 173 (a bit short for me).

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any updates on these?

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of 180's (last year's peacock pattern) from REI using points. I'm hoping they'll be fun in variable conditions here in NM.

Other skis I have: Blossom AM78 in 170, Nordica Santa Ana 93 in 173 (a bit short for me).
Your Blossom is the Sideral, right? if so its the AM77.

Have you ever skied a Coalition Snow ski? I'll be curious to hear what you think.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Your Blossom is the Sideral, right? if so its the AM77.

Have you ever skied a Coalition Snow ski? I'll be curious to hear what you think.
Oh yeah, the Blossom is AM77. Whoopsies.

I'll be sure to let you know my impressions!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I had the SOS out the other day here at Ski Santa Fe. Very fun ski and different from any other ski I’ve ever been on, including those of similar width.

Burly and damp, but they feel playful yet composed underfoot. I love how they smooth out snow inconsistencies, and how they can pivot quickly. The more forward mount makes them feel more maneuverable than the long turn radius suggests.

Conditions were a soft groomer (only run open early season) with some snow piles and firm spots.

I can see why western skiers would like them as a OSQ, but the 109mm width is too wide for my daily driver. Still, a giggle- producing ski that is super fun and whispers, “One more run!”

Looking forward to skiing them in conditions they were meant for. Ski Santa Fe just got 15” plus of new snow so I’ll get that chance shortly.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have also added the SOS in the 180 cm (109 waist) to my quiver, and couldn’t be more pleased. It retains the fun factor of the 173 cm (105 waist) while adding extra support for higher speeds and deeper, gunkier snow.

I was worried the 180 might be too big this year after having bariatric surgery last year and losing over 90 lbs, but my worry was completely unfounded. I’ve now skied both back-to-back in our current spring conditions (in freakin’ December!!!), and the 180 loses nothing to the 173 beyond some snappiness in short turns.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna